Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Possibly moving to Cincy for school at UC

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Didn't do that stuff as an undergrad, so I won't be doing it as a postgrad.

"North of Ludlow"....is that walkable?
    At the closest point to Crosley Tower, Ludlow is about a half mile. The most distant part of the neighborhood I'm talking about (up near Lafayette is 2 miles. The latter area is kinda far to walk on an everyday basis (unless you like that sort of thing), and unless you can route your way through Burnett Woods, I never found Cincy to be a very bike-friendly town.

If you're hell-bent on not paying for parking, how do you feel about riding the bus, or at least having it as an option on a snowy day? I know that the Metro isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the one that goes up Clifton Avenue toward campus (can't remember the number) usually has more students and professional people on it, rather than the dregs of society.

Didn't do that stuff as an undergrad, so I won't be doing it as a postgrad.

The Gaslight area isn't "out of my range," but the appearance of the houses/ apts I've seen haven't seemed much nicer than other areas. What's so special about Gaslight area? Is that walkable to and from campus? [I'll be at Crosley Tower and probably a hall near it for classes]

The place near Straight St. is on University Avenue. That doesn't seem too far on Straight St, does it?

I seem to be getting a lot of advice on where NOT to go. lol Anyone know of specific apartment complexes that may not advertise online that I should check out that is within walking distance of North Campus (Luther King/Clifton Ave).

The roommates of the place seem tame (my age, just on a 5 year program there, so will be seniors). I guess it just depends on the atmosphere of the street?
    A lot of the buildings in the gaslight area of Clifton are older, so if you're looking at photos of interiors through Craigslist etc, it probably doesn't look any nicer than some of Cincy's less charming neighborhoods. What you get in the gaslight district, however, is proximity to good restaurants, good parks, lower crime, SHADE AND TREES, etc.

While I was leery about the Straight Street location, you threw in another variable about quality of roommates. While Straight Street, to me, is still more Corryville than Clifton, if you find a group of people that you can get along with and trust, that can go a long way. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, I'm sure. But if there's a bunch of you in the house and you all keep different hours that might deter burglars, vandals, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. The only thing I probably won't be able to help with is specific apartment buildings/houses, because the quality of those can change from year to year as new ownership, management, and clientele move in and out.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

I had some friends that lived in that part of straight, and they were very cautious for their own security. If you can stick to walking with someone else at night, it is not a bad area.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

I understand that. I guess what I am trying to figure out is what everyone considers which section...Mentioning Gaslight District to me, is fine. But, not being in the area, I don't know how to decipher which from which. Google Maps doesn't say "Gaslight District is here"

The place I'm looking at is off Straight St. behind Deaconess Hospital. So bordering UC's brown block on the map, it'd be at bottom left of Clifton Ave.

So which area is considered "Clifton"? Is UC's campus "Clifton"? Is the place I'm looking at?

Thanks.

Straight St is technically Clifton Heights. It's an okay area near a bunch of student and greek housing. The closer you are to the top of the hill, the better. I used to walk through there all the time and never had a problem.

Clifton starts at Lowell Ave (ish) and goes north from there. UC is not in Clifton although that association is made all the time. Clifton is actually a really nice, well kept, historic neighborhood with many eclectic offerings. And in case you are confused, Clifton = Clifton Gaslight.
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-22-2009 at 07:30 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

an walk to that's not too bad in safety and distance.

Any stereotypes or reasons to avoid Clifton Heights? It'd be IIRC on University, so that doesn't seem to be too far from campus and Clifton Ave.

nineworldseries.....Can you give me a reason or antectdote?
    Clifton Heights is not all that far from Over-the-Rhine. In fact, it's just a short walk up the hill. Drive through Over-the-Rhine (around McMicken and Vine) a few times both during the day and at night and consider if you would like this area as your neighbor. If you live in Clifton Heights, basically Over-the-Rhine and Mt. Auburn (not much better) are right next door.

I've known several people who lived in Clifton Heights (around Warner St.). One of my friends was robbed not once but several times. Twice he woke up to a gun in his face.

Hughes High School is a traffic nightmare as well twice a day. You'd be very close to that on Straight St. Try to drive by Clifton and Calhoun/McMillan on a day when school lets out and you'll see what I mean.

I used to work in Gaslight (at Cincinnati State), and that area is MUCH nicer and more chilled out. Northside would also be a good option.

For a year, I walked down University and Straight St. daily without incident. Several of my friends lived on University for multiple years without incident. Shoot, even my girlfriend lived there for six months and never felt anything but safe.

I guess it's a crapshoot.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    At the closest point to Crosley Tower, Ludlow is about a half mile. The most distant part of the neighborhood I'm talking about (up near Lafayette is 2 miles. The latter area is kinda far to walk on an everyday basis (unless you like that sort of thing), and unless you can route your way through Burnett Woods, I never found Cincy to be a very bike-friendly town.

If you're hell-bent on not paying for parking, how do you feel about riding the bus, or at least having it as an option on a snowy day? I know that the Metro isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the one that goes up Clifton Avenue toward campus (can't remember the number) usually has more students and professional people on it, rather than the dregs of society.

A lot of the buildings in the gaslight area of Clifton are older, so if you're looking at photos of interiors through Craigslist etc, it probably doesn't look any nicer than some of Cincy's less charming neighborhoods. What you get in the gaslight district, however, is proximity to good restaurants, good parks, lower crime, SHADE AND TREES, etc.

While I was leery about the Straight Street location, you threw in another variable about quality of roommates. While Straight Street, to me, is still more Corryville than Clifton, if you find a group of people that you can get along with and trust, that can go a long way. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, I'm sure. But if there's a bunch of you in the house and you all keep different hours that might deter burglars, vandals, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. The only thing I probably won't be able to help with is specific apartment buildings/houses, because the quality of those can change from year to year as new ownership, management, and clientele move in and out.
    Thanks for the info; If I'm going to have to drive to school, I figure I might as well live further out and have rent be cheaper, so that's why living near campus is more preferable to me. There'd be five people total I believe, and most girls. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    I had some friends that lived in that part of straight, and they were very cautious for their own security. If you can stick to walking with someone else at night, it is not a bad area.
    I don't plan on walking after dark too much, other than just after working on campus (but don't know when that'll end).

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Straight St is technically Clifton Heights. It's an okay area near a bunch of student and greek housing. The closer you are to the top of the hill, the better. I used to walk through there all the time and never had a problem.

Clifton starts at Lowell Ave (ish) and goes north from there. UC is not in Clifton although that association is made all the time. Clifton is actually a really nice, well kept, historic neighborhood with many eclectic offerings. And in case you are confused, Clifton = Clifton Gaslight.
    Where exactly does the hill start? I just noticed "The Heights" displayed on the map, but the street I'm looking at is more near Clifton Ave than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
    Clifton Heights is not all that far from Over-the-Rhine. In fact, it's just a short walk up the hill. Drive through Over-the-Rhine (around McMicken and Vine) a few times both during the day and at night and consider if you would like this area as your neighbor. If you live in Clifton Heights, basically Over-the-Rhine and Mt. Auburn (not much better) are right next door.

I've known several people who lived in Clifton Heights (around Warner St.). One of my friends was robbed not once but several times. Twice he woke up to a gun in his face.

Hughes High School is a traffic nightmare as well twice a day. You'd be very close to that on Straight St. Try to drive by Clifton and Calhoun/McMillan on a day when school lets out and you'll see what I mean.

I used to work in Gaslight (at Cincinnati State), and that area is MUCH nicer and more chilled out. Northside would also be a good option.
    I'm not anticipating wandering out too far from campus, especially in worse neighborhoods. Though I might get lost and end up there for a few weeks once I move in there, if I do.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    For a year, I walked down University and Straight St. daily without incident. Several of my friends lived on University for multiple years without incident. Shoot, even my girlfriend lived there for six months and never felt anything but safe.

I guess it's a crapshoot.
    Thanks for the other side of the coin type of view. At UK, I lived very close to campus and in a relatively nice apartment complex, though near some older houses. I had forgot that my sister lived on the next street over in a house for a while when she was there, and some had called that street (Prall) "ghetto," though I had no problems 2 years living there, albeit being cautious at 3am walking home from the library. lol

update:

ended up taking the place off Straight St.; just waiting to configure the lease dates.

thanks to all in the thread.

Turn Off Ads?