Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Arroyo still taking unapproved supplements

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Arroyo still taking unapproved supplements

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4396083

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo, who last month admitted to using a now-banned supplement earlier in his career, says he uses a number of over-the-counter supplements not on Major League Baseball's approved list, according to a USA Today report.

"I have a lot of guys in [the locker room] who think I'm out of [my] mind because I'm taking a lot of things not on the [MLB-approved] list," Arroyo said, according to the report. "I take 10 to 12 different things a day, and on the days I pitch, there's four more things. There's a caffeine drink I take from a company that [ex-Boston Red Sox teammate] Curt Schilling introduced me to in '05. I take some Korean ginseng and a few other proteins out there that are not certified. But I haven't failed any tests, so I figured I'm good."
    Hope isn't a strategy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo still taking unapproved supplements

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Go BLUE!!!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    Why does he even open his mouth.. everything that comes out of it is crap.

Bronson needs to shut his pill-hole.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Bronson needs to shut his pill-hole.

Bronson is not a smart guy.

For the most part, I'd say the honesty is pretty refreshing. I will say there's a little selfishness--or at the very least lack of awareness--involved in risking a suspension by continuing to take things not on the approved list. It's all well and good to say, "I haven't failed any tests, so I assumed I'm good," but if he is suspended for 50 games, he blows a sizable hole in the rotation (contrary to popular opinion here).

I actually respect the guy for basically saying, "I took stuff. I was competing and found something that helped me compete at a higher level. I'd do it again."

We get angry about steroids because they distort our perceptions of what great players really are. They obliterate records fans have used for 100 years to measure players. But the players don't take steroids to hit 700 HRs or get in the HOF. They take them to help them beat the other guy and win more games. Doesn't make it right and doesn't change my stance on the HOF, but at least Arroyo owned up to it.

Professional sport is a competitive, cuthroat business. Give a guy a tool to help him get ahead, and he's going to use it. Arroyo is just more honest than the vast majority.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    For the most part, I'd say the honesty is pretty refreshing. I will say there's a little selfishness--or at the very least lack of awareness--involved in risking a suspension by continuing to take things not on the approved list. It's all well and good to say, "I haven't failed any tests, so I assumed I'm good," but if he is suspended for 50 games, he blows a sizable hole in the rotation (contrary to popular opinion here).

I actually respect the guy for basically saying, "I took stuff. I was competing and found something that helped me compete at a higher level. I'd do it again."

We get angry about steroids because they distort our perceptions of what great players really are. They obliterate records fans have used for 100 years to measure players. But the players don't take steroids to hit 700 HRs or get in the HOF. They take them to help them beat the other guy and win more games. Doesn't make it right and doesn't change my stance on the HOF, but at least Arroyo owned up to it.

Professional sport is a competitive, cuthroat business. Give a guy a tool to help him get ahead, and he's going to use it. Arroyo is just more honest than the vast majority.
    Agree. Good post.

Bronson is basically asking to fail a test.

I think Bronson likes his rebel image.. Looks like he's trying to dare MLB to catch him.

Either that or he's trying to help his Boston friends that got busted by saying "Hey, look at me, I'm taking unapproved stuff too and you can't catch me, the system is broken."

I wish he'd shut up too. This is too much.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I don't think a few of these quotes are going to go over very well with the media....
    "I can see where guys like Hank Aaron and some of the old-timers have a beef with it," Arroyo said, according to the report. "But as far as looking at Manny Ramirez like he's [serial killer] Ted Bundy, you're out of your mind. At the end of the day, you think anybody really [cares] whether Manny Ramirez's kidneys fail and he dies at 50?

"You were happy if the Red Sox won 95 games. You'd go home, have a cookout with your family. No big deal," he said, according to the report.
    Or our own owner and front office...

"If Mark McGwire is hitting 60 homers, the only thing that matters is his performance," Arroyo said, according to USA Today. "People don't own teams to lose money. If you ask any owner whether they would rather make $20 million and come in last place or lose $20 million and win a World Series, there's only one guy who honestly would take that championship: George Steinbrenner. Nobody else."
    Fact is, Bronson is saying the things that everyone else is afraid to say. It's the brutal truth, though.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

His USA today story is full of zingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson Arroyo god of the coversong;
    "If you want to say the union continued to knowingly barter in bad faith for us to have steroids and not have a policy, hey, they're not at fault for anything. The union is there to protect our best interest.

"Whether you think it's right or wrong, the union is there to make sure we look good in the media, make as much money as we possibly can and continue our career as long as we possibly can."

Maybe there are players who are ashamed of playing in the steroid era, Arroyo says, but he is proud. He made it. He survived.

"I don't regret a thing," Arroyo says. "Neither should anyone else."
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    Fact is, Bronson is saying the things that everyone else is afraid to say. It's the brutal truth, though.

Yep. He's spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

None of this will help his trade value.....
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    None of this will help his trade value.....
    That might be why he's talking. He and Arroyo have said they don't want to be traded. I could be wrong about that, but it crossed my mind.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?