Outfielders:

Shaun Cumberland
    Todd Frazier
    Chris Heisey
    Sean Henry

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 Carolina Mudcats roster

Two things:

1.) By sending Pedro Viola back to Double-A, this seems to indicate that they'll follow through with the plan of using him as a starter. The rotation should be (in no particular order):

Dallas Buck
    Travis Wood
    Pedro Viola
    Jordan Smith
    Alexander Smit

James Avery should go to the bullpen where his stuff is better suited for.

2.) It looks like Danny Dorn will begin the season in Louisville. Good move by the Reds. He had nothing left to prove in Double-A.

Does this mean Henry is staying in the outfield? Seems like I remember some chatter about him converting to 2B. I could be wrong though.

Cumberland played 48 games at AAA last year, now back at AA level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Cumberland played 48 games at AAA last year, now back at AA level.
    Michael Griffen played in 89, and so is he. Odd.

It does not look like the bats have there rosters out yet. Here is my prediction.

Pitchers:

Homer Bailey
    Daryl Thompson
    Ramon Ramirez
    Matt Maloney
    Adam Pettyjohn
    Ben Jukish
    Sam LeCure
    Robert Manual
    Carlos Fisher
    Jeff Kennard
    Josh Roenike
    Justin Mallett
    Bill Bray

Catchers:
    Craig Tatum
    Wilkin Castillo

Infielders:

Kevin Barker
    Wes Bankston
    Luis Bolivar
    Chris Valaika
    Danny Richar
    Adam Rosales

Outfielders:

Drew T. Anderson
    Drew Stubbs
    Norris Hopper
    Danny Dorn or Johnny Gomes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Two things:

1.) By sending Pedro Viola back to Double-A, this seems to indicate that they'll follow through with the plan of using him as a starter. The rotation should be (in no particular order):

Dallas Buck
    Travis Wood
    Pedro Viola
    Jordan Smith
    Alexander Smit

James Avery should go to the bullpen where his stuff is better suited for.
    As the only Misael DeJesus fan on Redszone, I have to ask what his role will be. I like his H/9 and K/9. He has been a reliever, but most recently a starter. If Viola remains a starter, then there will be three LHP's in the starting rotation and only one in the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    As the only Misael DeJesus fan on Redszone, I have to ask what his role will be. I like his H/9 and K/9. He has been a reliever, but most recently a starter. If Viola remains a starter, then there will be three LHP's in the starting rotation and only one in the bullpen.

Come on. Every time I've seen him mentioned, I've called him underrated and/or had praise for him. I like the way the Mudcats' rotation shapes up, but if there's an injury, or if someone gets tired, DeJesus would be the first guy I'd want as a replacement. It's not uncommon for a player to start the season as a reliever just to keep his innings down, so it wouldn't surprise me if one of those guys moves to the bullpen and is replaced by DeJesus later in the year.

Who is Federico Baez?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Who is Federico Baez?
    I'm not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that Baez started as a position player in the Orioles organization, but after that didn't work out, the Cubs signed him and converted him to a pitcher. His numbers were only so-so, and he has really struggled the past few years, but the Reds signed him this off-season, so I guess they see something they like.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=baez--001fed

Glad to see Jordan Smith stays at AA. I think he might "turn the switch on" sometime soon. Also, glad to see that Dorn will be in Louisville, where he can readily transition to MLB LF, when the Brass decides they need some more power.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomo88 View Post
    Michael Griffen played in 89, and so is he. Odd.

It does not look like the bats have there rosters out yet. Here is my prediction.

Pitchers:

Homer Bailey
    Daryl Thompson
    Ramon Ramirez
    Matt Maloney
    Adam Pettyjohn
    Ben Jukish
    Sam LeCure
    Robert Manual
    Carlos Fisher
    Jeff Kennard
    Josh Roenike
    Justin Mallett
    Bill Bray

Catchers:
    Craig Tatum
    Wilkin Castillo

Infielders:

Kevin Barker
    Wes Bankston
    Luis Bolivar
    Chris Valaika
    Danny Richar
    Adam Rosales

Outfielders:

Drew T. Anderson
    Drew Stubbs
    Norris Hopper
    Danny Dorn or Johnny Gomes
    Might we see a Dorn/Gomes platoon? I'd liketo see those guys in Cincy platooning in LF with Dickerson/Hairston in CF. Cut Willy and Darnell to make it happen.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Might we see a Dorn/Gomes platoon? I'd liketo see those guys in Cincy platooning in LF with Dickerson/Hairston in CF. Cut Willy and Darnell to make it happen.

too bad that'll never happen

Maybe with a horrible start to the season, Dusty would see the light. But after witnessing the CP debacle last year, I'll suspend my optimism.

That said, here's my ideal scenario:

Assuming Taveras plays like Taveras in April, and Gomes and Dorn continue to crush lefties and righties respectively, I do the following:

Call up Gomes and Dorn. Send down McDonald and Nix. Taveras becomes the 4th OF.
    Platoon Gomes and Dorn in LF, Dickerson and Hairston in CF, and play Bruce everyday in RF.

If we are contending come July and need some extra offensive punch, make a (rental) deal for Holliday, assuming you don't have to give up too much.

Next year, Alonso goes to 1B, Votto goes to LF, and Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in CF. Taveras and Dorn are the 4th and 5th OFs, respectively.
    Last edited by Benihana; 04-07-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    :

Next year, Alonso goes to 1B, Votto goes to LF, and Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in CF. Taveras and Dorn are the 4th and 5th OFs, respectively.
    Alonso is starting at High-A this season. I'd really be surprised if he started at 1B for Cincinnati next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Alonso is starting at High-A this season. I'd really be surprised if he started at 1B for Cincinnati next year.
    I'd be really surprised if he wasn't in Cincinnati, at least at some point next year.

Unless of course the Reds decide that Votto is too valuable at 1B and trade Alonso for other needs (ie SS or C)
    Go BLUE!!!

It's opening day for Mudcats, Bulls
    Reds sending a talented mix to the Carolina Mudcats
    Javier Serna - Staff Writer
    Published: Thu, Apr. 09, 2009 12:30AM

ZEBULON -- The most exciting aspect of the Carolina Mudcats' new affiliation with the Cincinnati Reds was on display in this past Friday's exhibition at Five County Stadium.

Juan Francisco's home run to right field was hit so hard, so far and so high that it cleared the visitors clubhouse.

Clearly, there's some power in the Mudcats' lineup.

The Reds may promote players to the big leagues directly from their Double-A clubhouse only rarely (they didn't do it once last season), but the Mudcats, who open tonight at Mississippi won't lack talent.

New Mudcats manager David Bell touted the mix of power and speed in his lineup and what he considers a talented rotation of pitchers.

Before Friday's exhibition, Reds manager Dusty Baker didn't rule out the possibility of promoting directly from Carolina.

"It depends on what we need," he said. "A lot of it depends on the opinions of our scouts and the opinions of a lot of people over whether this kid is ready or not."

The clubhouse is not too crowded in Cincinnati, where Baker is managing one of the youngest teams in the majors.

Still, the Reds generally like to promote players step by step, said Terry Reynolds, who heads player development for the team's farm system.

"We kind of believe that there are different levels and that guys should succeed at one before they move on to another one," Reynolds said. "If they prove to us that they're better than the league, and there's an opportunity above, then they move."

Francisco, a 21-year-old prospect from the Dominican Republic, is a case study in the Reds' philosophy, which mirrors the prevailing wisdom of many major league teams. The Florida Marlins, affiliated with the Mudcats the past six seasons, were more quick than most teams to promote Double-A players to the majors.

In 2006, Francisco started his professional career in the Rookie League, the lowest level in the minors, and was promoted up a level to the advanced Rookie League that same year.

He played the entire 2007 season in Single-A Dayton. Last year, he did the same in Class A Advanced Sarasota, where he hit 23 home runs.

Ranked No. 8 in Baseball America magazine's list of Reds' prospects, the third baseman is among three hitters expected to muscle the ball around the park near the middle the Mudcats' lineup.

"I have about 10 lineups made out right now," Bell, joking, said when asked how the roster would shape up.

The other power hitters include outfielder Todd Frazier (the No. 2 Reds prospect) and first baseman Logan Parker.

Outfielder Chris Heisey had 32 stolen bases last season between Sarasota and Chattanooga (the Reds' previous Double-A team).

Bell, in his first stint as a manager, shouldn't have any trouble relating to the players. He played in the major leagues 11 seasons, most recently in 2006.

The top pitching prospect in the Mudcats' starting rotation is Jordan Smith, a 6-foot-3 right-hander, who had a combined ERA of 3.84 between Sarasota and Chattanooga last season. Smith is third in the rotation behind Dallas Buck and Travis Wood.

Buck, part of the Adam Dunn trade this past August, underwent Tommy John surgery last season and looked sharp against the Reds in Friday's exhibition. He gave up three hits and two runs to the Reds in five innings.

As for closers, look for Ramon Geronimo (13 saves and a 1.93 ERA last season), Sean Watson (13 saves and a 4.43 ERA) and Derrik Lutz (23 saves in 2007) to finish off games.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

1. TODD FRAZIER, OF: Frazier adds power to the middle of the Mudcats' lineup. He hit .291 while playing at Class A Dayton and Class A Advanced Sarasota last season.

2. JUAN FRANCISCO, 3B: The third baseman hit .277 with 23 home runs and 34 doubles last season at Sarasota.

3. JORDAN SMITH, RHP: The top-rated pitcher on the Mudcats' staff was ranked the No. 13 prospect in the Reds' system by Baseball America. He split last season between two clubs, putting up better numbers (2.55 ERA) in Sarasota than in Double-A Chattanooga (5.40 ERA).

http://www.newsobserver.com/732/story/1478770.html

Turn Off Ads?