Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling a house

Selling a house

How many people have had experiences selling houses? I just hired Sibcy Cline to sell mine, it's a starter home, so I'm hoping with the new tax credit out there it won't take too long.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Selling a house

The company probably doesn't matter much, but make sure the realtor is very familiar with your area.

Also, don't sweat it, no matter how long it takes it will feel 5 times longer. So know that going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    The company probably doesn't matter much, but make sure the realtor is very familiar with your area.

Also, don't sweat it, no matter how long it takes it will feel 5 times longer. So know that going in.
    Yeah, I "know" it's going to take forever, we are waiting until it sells to build a house we really, really like. It seemed like it took forever for them to get the website with the house pics, etc. up, and it's only been since last night. I've also have one and two year old children, keeping it clean is going to be a challenge.

Be prepared for just about anyone to knock on your door and expect a tour at a moments notice.

I sold mine by owner, and the sale was done in a month's time.

Now I'm looking to buy again...tired of throwing money away on renting.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Now I'm looking to buy again...tired of throwing money away on renting.
    Oh boy, I give up.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

For those that have sold recently, how have you found the market? I've heard many sellers were having trouble selling for what they bought the house for recently. Have the new programs helped?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Oh boy, I give up.
    When I sold my house, it was shortly after my divorce, and the birth of my sister's second daughter. She and my brother-in-law needed a bigger house, I had a four bedroom all to myself, so I broke even on it and sold it to them for no profit as a favor.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    For those that have sold recently, how have you found the market? I've heard many sellers were having trouble selling for what they bought the house for recently. Have the new programs helped?
    Sold my starter home last summer for about a 12K profit, but I bought my new house for quite a deal. The seller had to bring about 10K to the table at closing. Found an old listing on line for the house I bought from 2 years ago for 30K more than I paid. I haven't been paying attention to the housing market that closely since then, but I suspect it's not much better now.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    When I sold my house, it was shortly after my divorce, and the birth of my sister's second daughter. She and my brother-in-law needed a bigger house, I had a four bedroom all to myself, so I broke even on it and sold it to them for no profit as a favor.
    Its the "throwing money away part". Sometimes it pays to rent. I'd have thought the last few years would've made that point for me.

I already have a showing tomorrow, 3 days after we put it up. I told my wife, I wonder if realtors fake a showing early on to see what kind of shape you put the house in for a showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Its the "throwing money away part". Sometimes it pays to rent. I'd have thought the last few years would've made that point for me.
    Depends on where you live. I would never buy a house in SF. It just doesn't make sense. Other places though, if you plan to live someplace for a long time, it's not such a bad idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

When we sold our home in late '07, we had showings within a few days and an offer (which led to the sale) in less than two weeks. We picked a large firm, but marketed it mainly ourselves. If it's priced right, you'll have a good shot.

And yes, there are deals to be had out there. We bought a home a few months ago at a price we'd never have touched a few years ago (about 60% of what the seller originally listed it for).

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Depends on where you live. I would never buy a house in SF. It just doesn't make sense. Other places though, if you plan to live someplace for a long time, it's not such a bad idea.
    I'm still skittish. They can't give away land some places:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/mich...l/suburbia-rip

http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/08/real...ion=2008041409

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aMV8_J49diKs

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    When we sold our home in late '07, we had showings within a few days and an offer (which led to the sale) in less than two weeks. We picked a large firm, but marketed it mainly ourselves. If it's priced right, you'll have a good shot.

And yes, there are deals to be had out there. We bought a home a few months ago at a price we'd never have touched a few years ago (about 60% of what the seller originally listed it for).
    We priced it right, realtor recommended 119,900, we did 117,900. It's in the starter home range, where people can use the new tax credit available to them.

http://sibcycline.com/viewlisting.as...rence-KY-41042

Here it is FWIW.

Turn Off Ads?