Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nick Adenhart Killed In Car Accident

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Nick Adenhart Killed In Car Accident

A young life full of promise, gone in an instant. Much tougher laws need to be passed if this was a DUI and the fact that it was a hit and run. Three lives at this point lost. So sad, so unnecessary and preventable.

Rest In Peace Nick Adenhart and your Family and/or Friends With You that also lost their lives.
    Our thoughts and prayers to the families and the Angel organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101 View Post
    I saw him pitch (on tv) last night. Absolutely tragic news
    I watched some of that game too. I also watched him pitch in a spring training game on TV last week. Kid had good stuff and a bright future ahead of him.

Just read this as well. Horrible news. The driver of the minivan (the hit 'n run driver) had better get a long, long prison sentance!

RIP and condolences to his family as well as the Angels organization.

On a totally trivial level (when considering what has happened), the Angels rotation is just in shambles...it already was and now this? Just a horrible time for that team.

Sad, sad news.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    For some reason Lyman Bostock was the name that lept to mind for me. Shame. Fox Sports says that one of the others killed was affiliated with the Angels. http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...d-in-car-crash Between this and the fan being killed opening day it has been an awful week for the Angels.
    I immediately thought of Bostock too. What a tragic story when someone so young is killed. Sad day.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Its a tough pill to swallow as a big fan of his and as someone who has followed this kid's career since his days in highschool. From his pre draft injury and his rise from it - to one of the better prospects in the game. Your time on earth was too short, and you were taken from your family, the game, and us far too early.

RIP Nick Adenhart.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Angels' Adenhart killed in accident
    Rookie right-hander dies in three-car hit-and-run crash

More MLB Headlines

By Bobbie Dittmeier / MLB.com

04/09/09 12:50 PM ET
    Angels rookie right-hander Nick Adenhart died early Thursday morning after a hit-and-run car accident in Fullerton, Calif.

The Angels said that Adenhart, 22, died as a result of his injuries after undergoing surgery at University of California-Irvine Medical Center. No other members of the Angels organization were involved, the club said.

The Angels scheduled a news conference for 10:30 a.m. PT at Angel Stadium.

"The Angels family has suffered a tremendous loss today," Angels general manager Tony Reagins said in a statement issued by the club. "We are deeply saddened and shocked by this tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Nick's family, friends' loved ones and fans."

A man and a woman who were with Adenhart were killed and another person was seriously injured in the accident, which involved three vehicles. Authorities were blaming the accident on a motorist who ran a red light with his van and then fled the scene on foot. He was later found and taken into custody.

Adenhart was one of four occupants in a silver Mitsubishi. Fullerton Police reported the Mitsubishi proceeded through an intersection, when a van ran a red light and broadsided the vehicle. The Mitsubishi slammed into a light pole.

Adenhart made his season debut against Oakland on Wednesday night, shutting out the A's for six innings in a game the Angels eventually lost, 6-4.

A 14th-round Draft choice in 2004, Adenhart made his Major League debut on May 1 last season and made three starts, winning one of them.

Adenhart is survived by his father Jim and mother Janet. His family released the following statement:

"Nick's family expresses sincere gratitude for all the help the Angels have provided. He lived his dream and was blessed to be part of an organization comprised of such warm, caring, and compassionate people. The Angels were his extended family. Thanks to all of Nick's loyal supporters and fans throughout his career. He will always be in everyone's hearts forever."

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=ana

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Absolutely crazy. I had never heard of this guy before and after seeing he was starting for the Angels (ahead of Jared Weaver in their rotation) I did some research on him last night. I was considering putting a bid in for him in my fantasy baseball $$ league today. Then I wake up to this news today. I just feel so bad for his family.

It's just very weird to me because I follow top prospects pretty closely (or so I thought) and I had never heard of this guy until last night. I was literally doing research on him for about 15 minutes last night. Then this tragedy happens. Wow. I'm sooooooo glad they at least caught the idiot that caused this mess. He'll enjoy the rest of his life in prison.

Again, this is kind of tough for me. I never met this kid, but followed his career since before he was drafted in 2004 and he turned into one of those rare players I was a fan of.

I am a fan of the reds and the game. There are very few players I feel connected with or a fan of on a personal level, this holds true for the reds. Not many reds players have held some sort of emotional attachment in my heart. But Nick Adenhart was one of those guys. When you follow someones rise to the majors from their predraft days, and then they go like this.. Kinda stings. This was terrible news to wake up and read, and has set the tone of the day for me. Sucks.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Article at Yahoo Sports

The parts about him growing up and learning how to be a major league player remind me a lot of Homer Bailey and his progress this year. That kind of makes it hit home a little more this afternoon. (And they actually shared the same uniform number too. That's a little freaky. )
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 04-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Awful news. Hopefully, the coward who was driving the minivan gets his.

Meanwhile, it does seem the Angels are quite cursed. Ages ago, I read an article in Baseball Digest which discussed the players with the team who had died too young - quite a few occurred in the 1970s (Bostock, for instance. That one always gets me).

No one should die at 22. Tragic.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Personal opinion here but anyone caught driving drunk should do a minimum three year sentence in a state penitentiary.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Edit - the fourth person is still in critical condition.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-09-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Personal opinion here but anyone caught driving drunk should do a minimum three year sentence in a state penitentiary.
    That's beyond impractical.

Turn Off Ads?