Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nick Adenhart Killed In Car Accident

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Nick Adenhart Killed In Car Accident

I heard on a talk radio show last night that Adenhart's father (a retired Secret Service agent) was allowed to spend a few minutes alone on the pitcher's mound at Anaheim stadium yesterday. Then he addressed the team in the clubhouse, thanking the organization for serving as his son's second family for the last few years as he worked his way through the minors.

Hard to imagine having the strength to do either of those things.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is truly sad news. But this happens in every day to other young people. It is devastating to that persons family as well. Sometimes I think we tend to overlook the every day tragedies that happen to every day people.

What I find slightly ironic is the driver of the other vehicle. IMO we need to hold judgment on the other driver until all the facts come out. Just a few weeks ago Ryan Moats was driving and ran a red light in order to get to the hospital to see a dying family member. Just a few weeks ago Donte Stallworth hit and killed a passenger while driving with a BAC above the legal limit. And Leon Hall, a reported good guy, got busted for a DUI over the weekend. You can throw in Leonard Little, a man who killed a woman while driving drunk, who plays in the NFL. I have no doubt that all four players, when on the football field, will be cheered by fans. I guess what my rambling is trying to say is that we often lose perspective when professional athletes are involved.

I am hopeful that some good will come out of this situation. While you can't replace a young mans life hopefully his family and the Angles can use Adenhart's legacy to prevent other drunk drives. To start a charity to benefit research, less fortunate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    I guess I'm callous, as is my gf, but when we both saw that, we both immediately said that we wonder if it's real or not (the tears)....
    I thought the same thing. Boras has the reputation that would make you wonder.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

From what I understand Adenhart coming out of HS was a certain first round pick but blew his arm out in HS and needed Tommy John surgery.

He overcame alot early in his life and its a damn shame this had to happen.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I just saw some of the LA Times tribute picts. One of them was of the crash site. I grew up in Orange County and have drive through that intersection many times.

The shot of the press conference with Nick's uni hanging off the table is very sad.

Tragic.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

There are a couple of articles out about the other two people who died in the crash. C.Trent posted them on his blog this morning and I thought it would be appropriate to share them here too. This still gets me teary thinking about it over 24 hours later. I can't imagine how the Angels or the families are doing right now. Nick's father is an amazing human being to have gone to the ballpark and spoken to the team after suffering such a tragedy. I haven't heard anything more about the other person in the car but it appears he's still doing okay at the hospital. That's the last I heard anyway. Here are the two articles that C.Trent posted today.

Courtney Stewart: http://www.dailytitan.com/news/soror...ster-1.1652316

Henry Pearson: http://www.sharapovasthigh.com/2009/...-ever-had.html
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What I find slightly ironic is the driver of the other vehicle. IMO we need to hold judgment on the other driver until all the facts come out.
    Yahoo posted this a few hours ago:

Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside, was driving on a suspended license because of a previous drunk driving conviction. Preliminary results indicated Gallo’s blood-alcohol level was “substantially over the legal limit” of .08 percent, police Lt. Kevin Hamilton said.

Gallo was booked into jail on three counts of murder, three counts of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and driving under the influence of alcohol. No bail was set.
    here

Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside, was driving on a suspended license because of a previous drunk driving conviction. Preliminary results indicated Gallo’s blood-alcohol level was “substantially over the legal limit” of .08 percent, police Lt. Kevin Hamilton said.

Gallo was booked into jail on three counts of murder, three counts of vehicular manslaughter, felony hit-and-run and driving under the influence of alcohol. No bail was set.
    Ok. I had read a report earlier that there were two people with the same name.

There is a tribute to Nick Adenhart going on now before the Red Sox-Angels game.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    There is a tribute to Nick Adenhart going on now before the Red Sox-Angels game.
    I hope ESPN shows part of that on Baseball Tonight later this evening. I would really like to see that and I'm sure there are quite a few tears.

Phenomenal Article about Nick's Dad and the Angels
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

The tribute was very touching. Carrying his jersey to the mound and having both teams line the base paths. Very nice. The Angels are a very classy organization.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

How can the other driver be charged with murder? Don't you have to prove pre-meditation or intent to kill for murder? Manslaughter I can see.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    How can the other driver be charged with murder? Don't you have to prove pre-meditation or intent to kill for murder? Manslaughter I can see.
    If the homicide was committed during the perpetration of another felony, then the prosecutor's office could charge him with second-degree murder.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Come on guys, how jaded are you? Of course Boras' tears were sincere. He was crying because of all the money he is going to lose not having another star client, but they were sincere tears.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    That jumped out at me as well. I think they want to throw the book at this guy and they are going to give the jury every count they can to consider. Murder won't stick, but he'll get three counts of DUI manslaughter (maybe four but it sounds like the fourth person is recovering fairly well), one count of felony hit-and-run and will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Turn Off Ads?