Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts after series #1

My thoughts after series #1

I'm happy. The Mets are very good. Very good. The middle of their lineup can really hit and the Reds will not face this strong of a team very often. Their bullpen really makes the game a 7 inning game and I'm happy to see how we battled last night. Having said that, the defence is still shakey and that needs to get better. Phillips made an inexcusable error today as did Gonzalez yesterday. It happens but they need to limit it. The offence has been solid through 3 games. The Reds aren't the only team that will be held to 1 run vs Johan. Votto is having a great start to the season, carrying the offence so far. I expect Phillips and Bruce to step up soon. The Bullpen was pretty good outside of that disaster inning Mike Lincoln had last night. Rhodes has been wonderful and Cordero was lights out in shutting the door vs the Mets today.
    All in all, I'm satisfied with the first series. Again, the Mets are very good. I felt we battled in all 3 games and our mistakes are correctable. Now Pittsburgh comes to town, in years past I would expect to win 2 out of 3 games. This year, I'm expecting a sweep but will accept 2 out of 3. Feels nice to get a win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: My thoughts after series #1

I feel good 1-2 but in the first two games we made some errors and that cost us the game it could have easly been 2-1 in our favor but im sure Alex Gonzales defense will get better once the year goes on, remember he took a whole year off baseball, our hitting has been good except the first game our pitching has been a little shaky but not bad

And let me add, I'm rooting for Will Taveras like crazy.

I feel good about this series as well. It does sting a little to know that we were only a few mistakes away from taking 2 out of 3 from the NL favorites.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Taveras isn't disappointing either. If he can continue to find ways to get on base (walks, bunt singles, please more triples), I think he becomes the wild card with the offense, which was stifled only by Santana. Lots of stuff to be encouraged by during the first series. A quick sweep of the Pirates would go a long way toward getting our confidence up, though.

Also, how good was Cordero? Man, those were three pretty good hitters he made look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I'm happy. The Mets are very good. Very good. The middle of their lineup can really hit and the Reds will not face this strong of a team very often. Their bullpen really makes the game a 7 inning game and I'm happy to see how we battled last night. Having said that, the defence is still shakey and that needs to get better. Phillips made an inexcusable error today as did Gonzalez yesterday. It happens but they need to limit it. The offence has been solid through 3 games. The Reds aren't the only team that will be held to 1 run vs Johan. Votto is having a great start to the season, carrying the offence so far. I expect Phillips and Bruce to step up soon. The Bullpen was pretty good outside of that disaster inning Mike Lincoln had last night. Rhodes has been wonderful and Cordero was lights out in shutting the door vs the Mets today.
    All in all, I'm satisfied with the first series. Again, the Mets are very good. I felt we battled in all 3 games and our mistakes are correctable. Now Pittsburgh comes to town, in years past I would expect to win 2 out of 3 games. This year, I'm expecting a sweep but will accept 2 out of 3. Feels nice to get a win.
    I think you covered just about everything.Coredero hit 96 on the gun today.Anyone still worried about him?

I think it's worth mentioning that Taveras has had 6 overall plate appearances and has scored 3 runs. Nice Job.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Taveras is on pace to score 300 runs this year, huh? That oughta shut us up (sarcasm spread thick).

One thought after the first series is that it is nice having Arthur Rhodes. Great Pickup by the staff.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    One thought after the first series is that it is nice having Arthur Rhodes. Great Pickup by the staff.
    Agreed.Saw this on ORG.Someone that has been around that long and is still bringing it needs a nick name.Any ideas?

Yes, Rhodes looked nasty.

As for the series, I am also encouraged. As was mentioned, the Mets are a tough tough team, and to take that third game after dropping the first two says a lot about this team's pysche. Especially with Mr. Carpal Tunnel on the mound (by the way, I read some quote from Bronson after the game about how he was glad he got the win even though he "wasnt 100 percent." Didnt he avoid the DL by telling everyone he was 100%??)

Anyway, no reason we cant win the next 2 series and start the above .500 trend. I'm looking forward to seeing Cueto and Owings this weekend.

This series against the Pirates will tell us a lot. If we are a team that plans on contending, then we have to be beating inferior teams to the ground, such as the Pirates. The Pirates played us well last year, and if this team wants to be in it come September, we should've piled up the wins against the Bucs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    This series against the Pirates will tell us a lot. If we are a team that plans on contending, then we have to be beating inferior teams to the ground, such as the Pirates. The Pirates played us well last year, and if this team wants to be in it come September, we should've piled up the wins against the Bucs.
    Your probably right but baseball is a weird sport.Who would have guessed that last season the Reds would have had the best record inter-league play.I think that last season we actually did ok against some of the better teams.We just sucked against average teams and couldn't dominate anyone.

My thoughts?..... Other than Albert Pujols, NO 1st baseman is playing better ball right now than Votto. Ronald McDonald is a clown on defense but somehow has been somewhat clutch on offense (today especially) and Coco was dominant in the 9th today. KRod should have been in awe. Weathers and Hannigan looked good too. Keep it up!!!
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

part of BBN

I echo everything that has been said so for. Cordero looked better today than he has in a long time.

This may have been a different series if Rhodes comes into the inning last night instead of or besides Lincoln.

I really like Dickerson vs righties.
    Votto only keeps getting better.
    Bruce will get going any game now.
    Mets are excellent team with an excellent lineup. All in all, I am pleased. So now let's go kick some Pirate butt.

Turn Off Ads?