Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Miami of Ohio folks around here?

Re: Any Miami of Ohio folks around here?

Well that'll do it. Great game by two fine teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another on the growing list of Ohio sports heartbreakers...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

I'm jubilant.

All the credit in the world to Miami. That's one tough team, especially in the neutral zone. I see why it was in the NCAA final. It gave what may the best BU team ever all it could handle.

Definitely a fluky goal for the win. Cohen's got the hardest shot of any BU defender and it came into play there. He hit it hard enough and high enough for it to keep heading toward the net.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

One other thing to add. Miami is the first Ohio school in 25 years to make the NCAA final. The last was Bowling Green, which won in 1984, and was the only Ohio finalist in history until today.

Between this game and the Blue Jackets making the NHL playoffs, I'm hoping we're about to see an expansion of what counts for hockey country in the USA.

Crap.

What a way to lose.

So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Crap. What a way to lose. So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school?
    Don't know what top level pay is for college hockey coaches is but the local paper ran all Miami employee salaries. He is the highest paid coach at Miami. Over 300k iirc. Beautiful facility, chance to play at the highest level. I wonder what more he could want?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Crap.

What a way to lose.

So, is this the type of streak that takes Enrico to another bigger school?

Rumor had it Michigan State was after him hard last offseason...

That was painful to watch. I usually don't watch hockey and wouldn't have tuned in if Miami wasn't playing, but that was a great game. I just wish Miami wasn't the team to throw it away. I still can't believe they gave up 2 goals in the final minute of a championship game. They couldn't do that again if they tried. Oh well....
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

Rumor had it Michigan State was after him hard last offseason...
    MSU has one of the winningest coaches of all time on the bench, one who delivered a national championship in 2007. I'm shocked to hear they were after another coach.

Heartbreaking way to lose. Less than a minute to a championship. Flashbacks to the 88 Bengals ran through my head as that happened.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    MSU has one of the winningest coaches of all time on the bench, one who delivered a national championship in 2007. I'm shocked to hear they were after another coach.
    I stand corrected, sir. I would expect nothing less, as you are the knowledgeable hockey follower and I am the bandwagon fan. That was just one of the things I heard from another student during the game; who knows where it came from.

I found this little excerpt on Enrico's bio at http://www.muredhawks.com/:

"It is our goal to win a national title," said Blasi. "We have the support of our institution and the community, and we feel like the future of Miami hockey has never been brighter."

Blasi's devotion to and belief in Miami hockey has turned all involved with the program into a family. A 1994 graduate of Miami University, Blasi took over the reins at his alma mater in 1999 as the youngest head coach in Division I college hockey, and has worked tirelessly ever since to make that family the strongest unit it can be. With the 2006 National Coach of the Year Award, three Central Collegiate Hockey Association Coach of the Year Awards and four trips to the NCAA Tournament under his belt in just nine seasons with the Red and White, Blasi's ideals of family and togetherness are paying big dividends in Oxford.

"I am committed to this program and the people involved with it," says Blasi. "We are all going to achieve more when we work together and that is evidenced by the team and individual success we have had in the last few years. We are in the business to not only develop quality hockey players but to develop student-athletes with great character."

It is Blasi's devotion to his alma mater, and his ability to motivate and get the most out of his players, both athletically and academically, that prompted Miami University Director of Athletics Brad Bates to ink Blasi to a contract extension in September 2007 through the 2016-17 season.

Dr. David Hodge, President of Miami University, saluted Blasi's loyalty to MU, saying, "We are excited that Coach Blasi has made such a long-term commitment to Miami University. He and his ice hockey teams have contributed greatly to our student body and fans for the past eight seasons, and we look forward to the exciting moments that they are certain to generate over the coming years. Coach Blasi takes great pride in being a Miamian, and we are equally proud that he has chosen to remain a part of Miami University's family."

This could be the year Phil in BG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One other thing to add. Miami is the first Ohio school in 25 years to make the NCAA final. The last was Bowling Green, which won in 1984, and was the only Ohio finalist in history until today.

Between this game and the Blue Jackets making the NHL playoffs, I'm hoping we're about to see an expansion of what counts for hockey country in the USA.

I remember that BG game very well. It took 5 overtimes for the BG win over Minnesota-Duluth 5-4. Unfortunately for Bowling Green, they have been spiraling down for years, to the point where they almost lost the sport this year due to cost cutting measures. They have only been given a one year reprieve, so let's hope it can be saved.

Ironically, the man that made the BG program out of a club hockey program, Jack Vivian, also helped start the program at Miami. He was also one of the founders of the CCHA. He has most recently been hired by BGSU to basically save Hockey there.

Congrats to Miami for the great season. They have a wonderful program and their trip to the championship game is well deserved. What a heartbreaker they have endured.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in BG View Post
    I remember that BG game very well. It took 5 overtimes for the BG win over Minnesota-Duluth 5-4. Unfortunately for Bowling Green, they have been spiraling down for years, to the point where they almost lost the sport this year due to cost cutting measures. They have only been given a one year reprieve, so let's hope it can be saved.

Ironically, the man that made the BG program out of a club hockey program, Jack Vivian, also helped start the program at Miami. He was also one of the founders of the CCHA. He has most recently been hired by BGSU to basically save Hockey there.

Congrats to Miami for the great season. They have a wonderful program and their trip to the championship game is well deserved. What a heartbreaker they have endured.
    BG's a sad story. Jerry York, the winningest active coach in the NCAA and the current guru at BC, was on the BG bench during the school's heyday. BG had the first Hobey Baker winner in George McPhee. Rob Blake, Garry Galley, Dave Ellet, Paul Ysebaert, Nelson Emerson, Ken Klee, Greg De Vries and Brian Holzinger all played for BG during the York years. In fact, it was a bit of defenseman factory.

It's nice to see Miami looking to fill the void BG left and it's nice to hear that BG is making moves to get its program back into gear.

Turn Off Ads?