Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Giants reliever Joe Martinez hit by line drive

Giants reliever Joe Martinez hit by line drive

SAN FRANCISCO -- Giants reliever Joe Martinez was hit in the head by Mike Cameron's line drive in the ninth inning, but was able to walk off the field Thursday in San Francisco's 7-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers.

Martinez was conscious and taken to a hospital for a CT scan and evaluation. His forehead was bloody and his right eye was swollen.

"He was bleeding quite a bit," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "That ball was smoked. He didn't have a chance."

Martinez, who made his major league debut Tuesday and was the winner in the Giants' opener, was struck near the right temple by Cameron's two-out liner. Martinez dropped to his knees, and players on both sides winced at the frightening scene.

Team trainers rushed to Martinez's aid. After a few minutes, the 26-year-old pitcher was able to walk away with a cloth held to his nose.

Cameron, who was credited with a double, was beside himself. He grimaced, looked away and slowed while running to first base.

Cameron knelt at second base with his head in his hands while Martinez was being treated. Cameron stayed down even after Martinez left, and San Francisco players came up to console the Brewers veteran.
    Last edited by WVPacman; 04-10-2009 at 12:24 AM.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Giants reliever Joe Martinez

I just happened to turn that game on while the Giants were batting. I was on my computer and I heard a lot of commotion from the announcers. Seeing the replay, that was absolutely horrific. Reminded me of Mussina and Flores getting hit in the face. Just awful.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I was watching when it happened. Mike Cameron was really shook up, I thought he was going to cry for a minute. He's a great dude, and is one of my all-time favorites.

Hopefully Martinez will be OK. It's gotta be hard to get back on that mound after something like that happens to you.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I was also watching when it happened and I thought the man done damage to his legs by how he fell.Cameron was really taking it hard and I heard on espn that he was seen in the locker room doing nothing but shaking.The first thing that poped in my mine was the brewers pitcher that hit that reds player(Lopez I think) a few years back and broke his jaw.It took the brewer pitcher a while to get over that and I hope Cameron does'nt do the same thing.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Giants reliever Joe Martinez hit by line drive!!

I saw this on Baseball Tonight last night and it freaked me out too. I hope the pitcher is all right and I hope Cameron doesn't get too down on himself. Sometimes things just happen in this game and it's not anyone's fault.

Wow, Thursday was kind of a bad day overall for most of baseball with both Nick's death and this pitcher's injury. I hope the season isn't like this all year.
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 04-10-2009 at 08:32 AM.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I think Nick's death really added to the feeling of dread with this incident. Everyone was probably already shaken up to begin with, and then this happens, and the first thought is probably "OMG, this can't happen." I was watching it live when it happened also, and immediately grew sick to my stomach.

Plays like that make it hard to put my 11 year old on the mound. Very scary.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Surprising it doesn't happen more often. I wonder if its typical for a hitters to slump after something like this. In Cameron's shoes, I might start subconsciously hit lazy fly balls.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Baseball Tonight mentioned that Martinez should make a full recovery but he has a concussion and three small fractures in his skull and will have to be in the hospital for a while. The Giants put him on the 15 day DL for now but I don't know if he'll be back in that time frame if he's got three fractures in his skull. I haven't heard anything more than that but I'm VERY glad he's going to be all right.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I don't think this thread should have exclamation points like it is exciting news. It's a very scary thing than can happen in baseball. I once hit a line drive off the shin of an opposing pitcher and broke his tibia. To this day, even in softball leagues, I question the "ethics" of trying to hit a ball right back up the middle.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I took one off the dome like that as a kid while trying to sneak my less than mediocre stuff past an older kid. I woke up at the ER with the same beauty of a lump that Martinez was sporting. Me no likey pitching after that.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I took one off the dome like that as a kid while trying to sneak my less than mediocre stuff past an older kid. I woke up at the ER with the same beauty of a lump that Martinez was sporting. Me no likey pitching after that.
    I've never been hit in the face, but I was hit in the shin about five or six years ago just playing a casual game of backyard baseball and I thought I was never going to be able to walk again. It put the biggest, nastiest, deepest dent into my shin you'll ever see, and since then I haven't thrown a ball anywhere near another human that has a bat in their hand. Because all I could think of was "What if that would have hit me in the face!?"

Cameron keeping tabs on Giants' Martinez
    Outfielder sends care package to hurler hurt by line drive

More MLB Headlines

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

04/11/09 8:59 PM ET
    MILWAUKEE -- Brewers outfielder Mike Cameron has been keeping tabs on injured Giants pitcher Joe Martinez through a couple of San Francisco veterans, and he sent a care package to Martinez on Saturday.

The package contained some of Milwaukee's signature Klement's sausages packed in dry ice. While it was en route, Cameron received updates from Giants players Randy Winn and Aaron Rowand about the rookie Martinez, who sustained a concussion and three small skull fractures when he was struck in the head by a Cameron line drive in the ninth inning of Thursday's game.

Cameron tried calling Martinez's hospital room, but Martinez couldn't talk. Cameron was still shaken by the experience as the Brewers played their home opener on Friday.

"Was it weighing on me? Yeah, yesterday it was," Cameron said before batting practice on Saturday. "[Martinez] couldn't talk, but we did everything, sent him a care package, everything you could possibly think of. Doug [Melvin, Milwaukee's general manager] and [Brewers vice president of communications Tyler Barnes] put it together, so that was cool.

"It was hard, though. It was. Unless you've had a traumatic experience, you don't know. I'm pretty sure the same things were going through his mind on the way to the hospital that were going through mine."

Cameron sustained a concussion and numerous fractures after a horrific collision with then-Mets teammate Carlos Beltran in August 2005.

In a statement released on Friday, Giants medical officials said that they expect Martinez to make a full recovery.

"It was good to hear," Cameron said.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

How awesome is Mike Cameron?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?