Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cop Beats Up on 15-year-old Girl

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Cop Beats Up on 15-year-old Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    She stole a car. I don't have too much sympathy for her. He might not be a good person, but I'm not about to feel sorry for someone who has no respect for authority.

Last edited by cincinnati chili; 04-11-2009 at 03:47 AM.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Also, cops have brought this on themselves by not demanding that their unions come down hard on this type of behavior. The vast majority aren't crooked or abusive, but the vast majority also look the other way at crap like this, or think you should never rat out a "brother" when you see improper behavior. Until that changes most of the public will have a mostly negative view of police officers. I'm not holding my breath on that either though.
    This is just incorrect.

The majority of people do not understand police procedures. I'm not specifically talking about this case, but there are plenty of cases where:

Suspect A commits violent crime, runs from police for a while, and right before he is caught he just stops and stands there. He is repeatedly told to get on the ground. He doesn't.
    Officer A and B use force against him to get him down and handcuffed.

Someone starts recording (without sound) at the point where the guy is just standing there and the police get a little "rough" taking him down since this guy isn't listening to them and going against what they are trying to do. There is a huge out cry and then assume that the cops just side with cops when nothing is done.

Then there are the people who think the police are bad people because they shoot some guy who pulls a gun on them, thinking the officer should have just shot the gun out of his hand or shot him in the leg so that the suspect wasn't killed. Or even those people who get speeding tickets and think that the police should be out there catching "real" criminals.

But again, I'm not specifically talking about this case. I think someone mentioned this guy has had issues in the past. There are bad apples on just about every department. They don't represent the police as a whole. And for those who have an attitude that they don't have to respect the police, hopefully the time doesn't come when you are told to do something and you think the badge/gun doesn't mean anything to you and you get yourself hurt.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    She stole a car. I don't have too much sympathy for her. He might not be a good person, but I'm not about to feel sorry for someone who has no respect for authority.
    I agree. In no way am I condoning the Officer's behavior, however, she put herself in that jail cell. Worse things happen on a regular basis at the Hamilton County Justice Center.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I agree. In no way am I condoning the Officer's behavior, however, she put herself in that jail cell. Worse things happen on a regular basis at the Hamilton County Justice Center.
    Well she allegedly stole a car. Apparently her mom's. Having handled criminal cases for over a decade I have seen enough people (not talking about officers here) misusing the system to know there is a good chance she didn't deserve to be where she was for what she is accused of. Good chance she deserved to be there too. What she does in the video should not have set the officer off as it did. No doubt his report talks about "directing" to the ground to ensure her compliance.

Officers do this too often and must be the main reason that the police are crying out for every cruiser and officer to have video on them at all times. Some of the local departments which I used to deal with had every cruiser have a video camera over 10 years ago. The officer had one mike active in the car and another on them. I never heard complaints about those departments. The ones you hear about are the ones without the video's running or where the video has interesting gaps. There are some officers who are known for frequently charging resisting arrest while other departments never do.

There were two officers I always heard complaints about when I was in a large city doing criminal defense. The department had hundreds of officers but the complaints were almost always about the "jump out guys." They were held up as the poster children by the department with profiles in the local paper and with a statewide magazine.

While these sort of things happen more often than we think, I have simply heard too many stories over the years to think otherwise. But I also feel that most officers would be appalled by what this guy did. This guy was not the norm and should be punished. There is no excuse for his actions.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well she allegedly stole a car. Apparently her mom's.
    Given that she was 15, I don't think her parents were letting her take that car anywhere without them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Given that she was 15, I don't think her parents were letting her take that car anywhere without them.
    You would hope but I have seen otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm guessing you don't think that the military deserves respect either? I have to really disagree with you. I think there is something special about being a police officer or serving in the military. It is true that no one forces it on them, but I think that's of what makes it special. If you choose to put yourself in harms way to serve others, well I think that's somewhat special.

I do agree that this guy should serve some real jail time. Although this guy would have lost my respect after getting a DUI. There is no way he should have been allowed to stay on the force after, but lucky for him the union was there to save his job.
    You don't get respect from your job title, badge, or uniform; you earn it with your actions. Cops and soldiers deserve our respect for what they do day in and day out, for their brave and often heroic actions. But when their actions cease to merit that respect, the uniform is no excuse. I respect people, not clothes.

Police and military both are given the extreme privilege by our society to use force for the sake of provide us protection. With that right comes the responsibility to use force judiciously, to not abuse that privilege and in the process undermine society's confidence that it made the right decision to confer such responsibility on that individual.

When cops, or the military, use excessive force (and I do mean truly excessive), it's akin to spitting in the face in the public they serve. I would rather be responsible for my own safety than to place said responsibility in a person whom I cannot trust to use that power appropriately.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-11-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You don't get respect from your job title, badge, or uniform; you earn it with your actions. Cops and soldiers deserve our respect for what they do day in and day out, for their brave and often heroic actions. But when their actions cease to merit that respect, the uniform is no excuse. I respect people, not clothes.

Police and military both are given the extreme privilege by our society to use force for the sake of provide us protection. With that right comes the responsibility to use force judiciously, to not abuse that privilege and in the process undermine society's confidence that it made the right decision to confer such responsibility on that individual.

When cops, or the military, use excessive force (and I do mean truly excessive), it's akin to spitting in the face in the public they serve. I would rather be responsible for my own safety than to place said responsibility in a person whom I cannot trust to use that power appropriately.
    RMR, I have to say that this is one of the best posts I have seen on here in a long time. I agree with you 100%.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Bottom line is that this male... with hand to hand training... beat up a 15 year old girl...

Forget everything else. That's just absurd.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The police officer broke the rules (his authority) when he beat up a 15 year old.

Why does he get a pass and the girl doesn't?

Here's an idea: being a police officer is stressful. You are going to run into people who disregard the rules and say mean things to you.

If you can't handle that without attacking someone, then don't be a cop.

Put that in your personal responsibility pipe and smoke it.

I'm not implying I think he is in the right at all. This cop APPEARS to be a loser.

I'm saying I don't intend to feel bad for anyone who puts themselves in position to have this happen like she did.

I haven't stolen any cars and the cops haven't busted in my front door and beat me up. The girl or anyone else should think about that.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    "You caint get a thang for the pain...in the Cincinnati jail...
    Aint it hell...Cincinnati jail...
    Aint it hell...the Cincinnati jail...

-Lonnie Mack
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    "You caint get a thang for the pain...in the Cincinnati jail...
    Aint it hell...Cincinnati jail...
    Aint it hell...the Cincinnati jail...

-Lonnie Mack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4IM4uNG94o

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Attacking with a killer V. Love me some Lonnie Mack!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I believe there are some jobs that require IMMEDIATE respect and then it is removed when warranted.

Do we tell our kids that they don't have to respect the teacher until the teacher proves themselves? Do we tell our new boss that we'll respect them when and if they earn it? Police and military deserve instant respect because of the nature of their jobs.

I agree completely that actions determine if a greater level of respect is due or respect should be revoked. Even so, it virtually certain that this girl didn't know if the cop had job problems in the past. As far as we know, this cop may have done everything by the book but she refused to respect the authority granted to his badge by the citizens. I just want to make it clear that this cop should be punished for his actions; he misused his authority. The girls still should have given his badge the respect it deserves.

Turn Off Ads?