Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips on 97.1 THE FAN in Columbus 4/10

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Brandon Phillips on 97.1 THE FAN in Columbus 4/10

This was a cool interview. Brandon seems energized. Here's a recap of what I was able to write down. Anyone else who heard it feel free to add on something I missed:

-Brandon does not feel that he adds pressure on himself because he is the cleanup hitter. He has been doing it for basically 2 years now. He is used to the role.

-(On being the leader on the team): Yes he feels he is the leader. A lot of guys as far as the position players go feel he is "the dude" or the leading veteran. In terms of the whole team's leader, they've got Arther Rhodes and David Weathers who have "been around since Nintendo" so they have other leaders but he likes being the leader and considers himself the leader.

-(Is it a different feel in the clubhouse): Brandon says it definitely is. It is a younger more energetic team where guys in the dugout pick each other up more often. He also says that the team is different on the field and emphasized that they are much better in the outfield as far as defense goes. He says he likes the young guys and the energy. He is enjoying himself.

-(Does he miss his best friend on the team Todd Coffey): He misses Coffey but is pleased that Coffey got his shot in Milwaukee. He alludes to the fact that Coffey didn't get an abundance of opportunity in Cincy. Says there were "some things" he had to deal with in Cincy. He has a new running mate in Darnell Mcdonald he is glad he made the team. Says he goes way back with McDonald from back in their minor league days.

-Show host jokes that Coffey has gained a few pounds and Phillips laughs and says Todd lost weight when he was with the Reds but he'll take the hosts word for it.

-(Do the Reds have enough power bats in the lineup to contend) Phillips feels they do have enough pop in the lineup but their focus is on more contact and working pitchers this year. He says that the power is definitely there and mentions himself and Votto among others.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-10-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips on 97.1 THE FAN in Columbus 4/10

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

-(Does he miss his best friend on the team Todd Coffey): He misses Coffey but is pleased that Coffey got his shot in Milwaukee. He alludes to the fact that Coffey didn't get an abundance of opportunity in Cincy. Says there were "some things" he had to deal with in Cincy. He has a new running mate in Darnell Mcdonald he is glad he made the team. Says he goes way back with McDonald from back in their minor league days.
    Phillips and Coffey were best friends? Who knew?

I'm glad BP noted that it's important for the team to focus on contact hitting as opposed to relying on homers, which they've done in the past.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Phillips really seems like a good spirited guy.Nice to see that some Reds players are warming up to the 97.1 TheFan a bit.I listen a lot and the local host seem to be pretty high on the Reds.Any idea what ever happened to Herbstreit?He was the biggest Reds fan but bashed them constantly.In the past he was the only local host the even mentioned the Reds and when he did I didn't even want to listen.

By the way Bruce, did you see my reply to you question about the Reds not being on FSN.In case you didn't just try CSPAN when the Cavs or CBJ are on.Insight always moves them there and I believe the other local providers do the same.I'm not 100% that it is CSPAN but you can be sure that you'll be able to find them somewhere as long as the Reds MLB site says that their on FSN.Good luck.

Votto's gonna make it do what it do this year.

Our offensive production relies on Phillips, Bruce and EE this year if we wanna win.

Same ol BP...

I love it!

Phillips gets such a bad wrap from people about being selfish. I dont know why people tag him so hard about it.

Turn Off Ads?