IP - 5.1
    H - 9
    R - 9
    ER - 8
    BB - 1
    K - 5
    HR - 3
    ERA - 13.50

He also hurt himself with a throwing error.

What happened to spring training?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey's First Start 2009

It's one start, not really a big deal, IMO. He gave up a few groundball singles and made a couple errors which led to runs. The good news is he posted a solid 1 BB/5 K ratio. That's what I'm looking at. Those who watched him said his stuff was good.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-09-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

16 MPH winds in Louisville probably didn't help much either.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's one start, not really a big deal. He gave up a few groundball singles and made a couple errors which led to runs. The good news is he posted a solid 1 BB/5 K ratio. That's what I'm looking at. Those who watched him said his stuff was good. He just had a bad night, it happens.
    The curve was being controlled and was snapping pretty decently.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    16 MPH winds in Louisville probably didn't help much either.

I'm out of town and can't vouch for the validity of this but the gameday on MiLB.com shows a slight wind blowing in. Taking into account that Rosales and Bolivar both hit HRs as well, my money would be on the gameday being wrong.

Bailey blasted as Bats lose opener
    Yields three two-run homers in 12-4 loss

By Michael Grant • mgrant@courier-journal.com • April 9, 2009

Mother Nature threatened, but the light rain didn't last long and never interrupted the baseball game.

The Columbus Clippers threatened, and their impact had a more lasting effect as they dealt the Louisville Bats a season-opening 12-4 loss before 9,037 fans last night at Louisville Slugger Field.

The game opened with a steady drizzle that was gone by the third inning. That was as good as it got for the home team as Columbus pounded out 14 hits and the Bats made three errors.

"You always like to win, especially opening day," Louisville manager Rick Sweet said. "(Hitting coach Smokey Garrett) said we lost opening day last year. I couldn't remember. I had no idea. It's over and done with. I'm thinking about tomorrow already."

Bats starter Homer Bailey threw well for the Cincinnati Reds during spring training, posting a 2.61 ERA before being sent to Louisville.

Last night the right-hander was under persistent duress, allowing three of Columbus' four two-run home runs. Jordan Brown's 395-foot blast that made it 9-4 was Bailey's final batter of the evening.

Bailey's line: 51/3 innings, nine hits, nine runs — eight earned — one walk and five strikeouts.

It was his worst Triple-A start ever.

"I think a lot of it was not being able to locate any of my pitches outside of my fastball," he said. "I kept throwing sliders and curveballs in the dirt, then getting behind a few hitters. I tried to make a perfect pitch instead of a good pitch."

He retired the side in the first inning but never found a comfortable groove.

"I thought he had good stuff," Sweet said. "But he made mistakes, and usually it was with his breaking ball.... He gave up three home runs. That's what killed him. With every pitcher, it's about location. It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you can't locate."

Matt LaPorta led off the second with a double, and Michael Aubrey followed with a home run.

Louisville tied the score at 2 in the bottom half, but LaPorta and Aubrey returned to haunt Bailey in the fourth. LaPorta again led off with a double, then advanced to third on a wild pitch. He scored on Aubrey's sacrifice fly.

Louisville tied it again in the bottom half, but it didn't stay deadlocked for long as the Clippers struck for four runs in the fifth.

Michael Brantley drove in the first two runs with a single, and Luis Valbuena knocked in the final two with a homer. The fans groaned in frustration as the lead mushroomed to 7-3.

The Bats seemed poised to give the crowd something to cheer about in the bottom half. Luis Bolivar, the No.9 hitter, led off with a home run, and Louisville had two runners on with none out after Norris Hopper doubled and Drew Stubbs walked. But the rally suffered a blow when Chris Valaika hit into a double play. Kevin Barker came up with Norris at third but grounded out.

Then Bailey was chased during the game-breaking sixth.

"It can only get better," he said. "That was pretty bad."

Louisville got two runs in the second on Jonny Gomes' RBI double and Danny Dorn's sacrifice fly.

Adam Rosales hit a solo homer in the fourth, and Bolivar connected in the fifth.

"We have a young team," Barker said. "They have to get their feet wet. We're going to have some games where we get our butts kicked."

Michael Grant can be reached at (502) 582-4069.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic.../90410002/1036

I'll go ahead and bold the other important part.
    "I thought he had good stuff," Sweet said. "But he made mistakes, and usually it was with his breaking ball.... He gave up three home runs. That's what killed him. With every pitcher, it's about location. It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you can't locate."
    It's one start, but it sounds like it was the same Homer. Spring Training means nothing, and one start doesn't mean very much. Definatley not encouraging though.

Well to be fair at least hes missing low in the zone instead of hanging em.

Shoulda got Dye...

"Should've ... Could've ... Would've ..." I'm tired of the excuses. This poor outing by Bailey is probably been the most disappointing aspect of the start of the season for me - even more disappointing than the big club's start.

If I honestly felt this was a one-game anomaly and that Homer would run off a string of 10 or 12 straight games where he dominated the opposing hitters, that would be one thing. But I suspect that the games where he dominates - THOSE are the anomalies.

I truly hope I am 100% wrong. I desperately WANT to be wrong. But I have my doubts.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    "Should've ... Could've ... Would've ..." I'm tired of the excuses. This poor outing by Bailey is probably been the most disappointing aspect of the start of the season for me - even more disappointing than the big club's start.

If I honestly felt this was a one-game anomaly and that Homer would run off a string of 10 or 12 straight games where he dominated the opposing hitters, that would be one thing. But I suspect that the games where he dominates - THOSE are the anomalies.

I truly hope I am 100% wrong. I desperately WANT to be wrong. But I have my doubts.
    Oh well, at least he'll be the Reds top minor league prospect by baseball America for the 4th year in the row!

Wow. Chill people. Lots of pitchers have had starts to the year that were less than what they wanted.

That list starts with Tim Lincecum and CC Sabathia. I have no reason to think the strides we saw in the spring and from his general maturity were illusory. His K:BB was solid in this one, so, generally, I would think, bad stuff sometimes happens to good pitchers.

Seriously, chill. Another 9 starts and we will have enough of a sample to know.

One walk, 5 strikeouts. Keep that up and the runs scored will come down.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post

Seriously, chill. Another 9 starts and we will have enough of a sample to know.

Actually, even 9 starts is too few. Bailey needs a full season at AAA. He's only 22, he probably should still be at AA. He's been rushed into the spotlight and clearly wasn't advanced enough to succeed. So let's keep things in perspective.

Even Jay Bruce, a phenomenal prospect, is having growing pains at 22.

It's no surprise that of all the Reds top prospects, Votto has succeeded. He had more experience, a bit older, perhaps a bit readier. He played a full, successful AAA season before hitting the show.

Bailey's performance last night is a sign that the Reds were just wrong if they were considering him for the major leagues this year. And if a spot opens up due to injury, they probably should go with Ramirez or Maloney before Bailey.

Give Bailey a chance to develop. He has one more year with options. Let him spend it figuring things out at AAA, every fifth day. No more bouncing him between Louisville and Cincy. My guess is that by the end of the season he will start to show some consistency.

And they should tell Homer -- "This is your year at AAA, all year, don't expect early call ups, don't put too much pressure on yourself, just go out and help the Bats and the rest will happen."
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-10-2009 at 09:27 AM.

I agree, KC, but will have a harder time arguing patience with some folks in here with regard to sample size when he gets to 10 starts this year.

I am happy he is where he is, and I also think he needs a full year of ups and downs and eventually sustained success at AAA.

Turn Off Ads?