Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Reds lose, you can feel good in this thread

When Reds lose, you can feel good in this thread

Hey, losing sucks but sometimes the frustration of the moment can cloud the big picture.

This thread is meant to be a place where we can focus on the great things about the Reds and Reds baseball be it something exceptional from the game or a piece of Reds history that might in some way have been suggested by something during the game even though ultimately the good guys came up on the short end of the stick.

For instance-Cueto gave up 4 runs to the Bucs today but he had an insane 9 to 1 K:BB ratio....

Also, Bruce had a brainfart moment on the bases to end the game today but a survey of projection systems project Bruce to do this in '09:

Code:
    	ave	obp	slg	OPS	ISO 	k%	BB%	XBH%	wOBA
    Bruce	0.281	0.337	0.510	0.847	0.229	23.6	7.3	40.9	0.362
    Not bad for still learning huh?

The Reds who have OPS'd .850 or better over at least 400 PAs during their age 22 season are:

Carbo ('70), Bench ('70), Kearns ('02), Pinson ('61), Dunn ('02), Robinson ('58)....
    Last edited by jojo; 04-11-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When Reds lose, you can feel good in this thread

thx jo, I was kinda outside looking in the window today. I hope Vottomatic is OK, that couldve sunk the season right there.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I have a feeling there's gonna be more people feeling good in this thread when the Reds lose as opposed to feeling good in the other thread when the Reds win.

I was pretty impressed by the way that Cueto hung in today and finished stronger than he started. I think we're going to see good things from him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I was pretty impressed by the way that Cueto hung in today and finished stronger than he started. I think we're going to see good things from him this year.
    I agree.

1 BB/9 K is very impressive.

I was especially impressed by his fifth inning when he struckout McLouth, Doumit, and LaRoche consecutively. That's three pretty good left handed hitters.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree.

1 BB/9 K is very impressive.

I was especially impressed by his fifth inning when he struckout McLouth, Doumit, and LaRoche consecutively. That's three pretty good left handed hitters.

Yeah, that is impressive. I didn't get to see it because for obvious reasons MLB EI had the game blacked out down here in Texas.

But K-ing those three in a row is tough.

micah owings made his teammates look sick (although it was a different pitcher)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was at the game today and while it was tough to sit there and watch the guys struggle against the Pirates, I did see some good things today. I'm glad I have a thread to post them in where I can feel somewhat safe since I'm sure everyone is ready to ring the guys necks over this game, LOL

Good Things:
    *Patience: Hopefully this is something the guys are going to keep doing with their at bats. Aside from a few random moments, most of the guys were taking a pretty decent amount of pitches today and trying to ring out anything they could off Malholm. I liked seeing that again and I hope it continues into the season.

*Cueto: He had two rough innings but settled down pretty well for the most part and I was really impressed with him striking out nine Pirates (especially the one-two-three inning). I think he's going to be pretty solid for us this year but he still has some things to work on too. He was at his best today when he came right after the batters and I thought he looked stronger at the end of his outing today than he did at the beginning.

*Danny Herrera/Jared Burton: DRH gave up a run today but he seemed a little more sure of himself in this outing than he did in his last outing. I think he'll be all right once he realizes that he really can get those guys out as long as he does what he did in spring training. "Don't nibble, go after them and use all your pitches" is something he needs to keep telling himself before his next appearance. Jared looked really good today and I think he's going to be great for us this year.

*Pinch Hitters: Both McDonald and Owings did what PHers are supposed to do....they got on base and gave the Reds a chance to get some runs. MdDonald showed some good patience before he got his hit and I really liked Owings at bat because he didn't waste time with hitting the first good pitch he saw to left center. He was actually less than two feet away from hitting a HR today.

*Joey Votto: He didn't do much offensively today but he still had decent at bats and got robbed of a sure fire hit in one of his at bats by Freddy Sanchez. I think the day off yesterday came at a really bad time for Joey. He was totally dialed in this week and I think the day off probably threw him off a bit. Hopefully he gets it back tomorrow. He also scared the crap out of me by coming up a bit lame when he tried to score from second in one of the middle innings but he shook it off somehow and stayed in to finish the game. He's one tough cookie and I hope he's all right. I think he just slid awkwardly and got twisted up but he looked fine for the rest of the game. Don't scare me like that again Joey!

Tomorrow is a new day and a righty pitcher. Let's hope the bats wake up and the offense comes back to life again. I hate facing so many lefties in a short amount of time.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I didn't get to see it because for obvious reasons MLB EI had the game blacked out down here in Texas.
    Yeah, that sucked. I was really looking forward to watching the game this afternoon but it was blacked out.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I don't have a lot to feel good about this game, but I happy Cueto came out of his funk before it was over.

BTW The futures thread needs voters.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Is this the appropriate place to hope that the Reds getting destroyed by the Pirates gets us closer to the exit of one Dusty Baker? In my mind, any place is appropriate. So if we are moving towards that then I feel better
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I love a game that is not a back and forth game, therefore every baseball game is a pleasure, for the world is made up of numerous back and forth games.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Is this the appropriate place to hope that the Reds getting destroyed by the Pirates gets us closer to the exit of one Dusty Baker? In my mind, any place is appropriate. So if we are moving towards that then I feel better

Paging Davey Johnson.... paging Davey Johnson...

The Leo Durocher of the past 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I dunno...I heard a lot of griping on RedsZone last month about how Johnson managed (or should I say mismanaged?) Team USA during the WBC.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?