Turn Off Ads?

Thread: defense the reason we're 0-2

defense the reason we're 0-2

Not that its time to give up all hope but our defense has been terrible.To me its by far the #1 reason we are 0-2.While its still very early it appears that this could once again be a huge weakness.

There was a lot of people around redszone this off season that pointed out that it didn't matter how good our pitching was going to be if our D was going to be as bad as it was in 08.Looks like they might have know what they were talking about.

Our guys need to be much better and I sure hope Dusty is letting them know it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: defense the reason we're 0-2

It is only 2 games. I don't think the team defense will be as bad as the past. Let's not forget also that the weather has been wet & cold, which could contribute to some of the slipping & sliding.

Bruce falling down for no reason certainly wasn't very encouraging.

I guess if we can at least stay upright from now on we will have improved defense in right.

Volquez playing with fire didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Volquez playing with fire didn't help either.
    When your talking about a good pitcher you usually only get burnt when you defense can't turn a routine double play.Pitchers get in trouble.It happens.The D let the team down last night giving up at least 3 runs(even though they were not unearned runs).

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    When your talking about a good pitcher you usually only get burnt when you defense can't turn a routine double play.Pitchers get in trouble.It happens.The D let the team down last night giving up at least 3 runs(even though they were not unearned runs).
    Volquez was clearly off last night, regardless of the D.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Volquez was clearly off last night, regardless of the D.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    I agree.It helps though when you do not have your best stuff and are battling every inning, to have guys make the plays they should.Errors are going to happen on every team.Its been a pretty bad start for a team that claims to push the issue.Even today in the win it was a bad start in the 1st.Another botched double play resulting in 0 outs.I guess the Mets scored no runs that inning and the Reds won the game(great job guys overall)but I have to think it is still our #1 concern.

The D will settle down eventually. Phillips and Gonzalez won't be bricking plays like that for long.

I agree.It helps though when you do not have your best stuff and are battling every inning, to have guys make the plays they should.Errors are going to happen on every team.Its been a pretty bad start for a team that claims to push the issue.Even today in the win it was a bad start in the 1st.Another botched double play resulting in 0 outs.I guess the Mets scored no runs that inning and the Reds won the game(great job guys overall)but I have to think it is still our #1 concern.
    In the inning w/ Gonzo's gaffe, Volquez gave up 3 runs on 5 ground balls. He wasn't on top of his game, but he also didn't get much help, either from Lady Luck or his teammates. I'll take 5 ground balls anytime.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

In 1976, the 40-game errorless streak by the REDS was started when the weather got warm at the end of May or beginning of June.

Defense can be pretty rough in the Northern states in April.

Hope your right.By the way, any idea how many errors that team had and in how many games they had them before that streak begun?

Hope your right.By the way, any idea how many errors that team had and in how many games they had them before that streak begun?
    I'm not sure, but if you want to look at the best team in the history of baseball, here it is:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1976.shtml

Turn Off Ads?