Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce

Jay Bruce

I just wanted to assure everyone that just because Jay's BB/K ratio was terrible in the minors, there's no reason to worry about at the Big Show.

OH, he just K'd again and is 0-2 with 2 Ks today.

Don't worry though, those numbers will improve as we were told by numerous Reds fans.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce

0-3 with 3 ks now. He'll get better. It's just going to take him some time to get used to big league pitching.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I just wanted to assure everyone that just because Jay's BB/K ratio was terrible in the minors, there's no reason to worry about at the Big Show.

Don't worry though, those numbers will improve as we were told by numerous Reds fans.
    Now that Dunn is gone I assume Bruce will be your new whipping boy.

Let me ask you something.... you think that Harang's ERA will be 0.68 at seasons end? You think Votto will hit .400? Well Bruce's average won't be .200 for long either. He's scuffing a little bit.

What is it with some of you? What do you want from him?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Now that Dunn is gone I assume Bruce will be your new whipping boy.

Let me ask you something.... you think that Harang's ERA will be 0.68 at seasons end? You think Votto will hit .400? Well Bruce's average won't be .200 for long either. He's scuffing a little bit.

What is it with some of you? What do you want from him?
    I for one would like him to show some progress from last year. I realize it's a small sample size but in the spring and early season at bats he hasn't shown much.

I think it will take him the first half of this season and then the light will go on.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I for one would like him to show some progress from last year. I realize it's a small sample size but in the spring and early season at bats he hasn't shown much.

I think it will take him the first half of this season and then the light will go on.
    He hit .300 this spring with a good amount of RBI and 3 home runs, including a home run off a tough lefty in Scott Kazmir. There are some stats.

Then you have what was in print. Although I did not see it I heard and was told that Bruce was going up the middle and the other way regularly. What more progress do you need? Because he hasn't lit it up the first 5 games? Come on.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

I don't know how many times Bruce has swung at Ball 4 this year so far.

And I realize it's a small sample size, but I was just pointing out that just because he had a history of low walks and high K's in the minors that he'd be fine in the majors as was told by so many people on this board. The guy is good, but lets temper our expectations because Reds fans tend to over hype of some their players. . .just like Dunn.

Good god some of you are ignorant... He's pressing right now. Who cares? It's the first week of the season...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Bruce has been in hitter's counts almost every at bat I've seen so far this year. He's been getting to 2-0, 2-1, or 3-1 alot so far, and is simply not capitalizing. So maybe he can't hit anymore and is going to suck the rest of his career. However, I think it is more likely that 5 games is a small sample size, and that if continues his approach at the plate and keeps getting in hitter's counts, he will start hitting the ball and hitting it hard. He's 22, quit overreacting!

Face it.........Bruce was the anointed one, but Votto is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Face it.........Bruce was the anointed one, but Votto is the man.
    Not at all should one look at it that way.

Votto has him now, but Votto is at his ceiling. Bruce's ceiling is much higher. He will close the gap and catch him in the coming 500, 1000, 1500 at bats.

Joey has 3 years and almost 500 at bats on Jay. Acting like this is a forgone conclusion is simply just not known.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Good god some of you are ignorant... He's pressing right now. Who cares? It's the first week of the season...
    agreed.

You'd have to have played baseball above a certain level to know what it feels like and what it means to press a little, so most here get a free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    agreed.

You'd have to have played baseball above a certain level to know what it feels like and what it means to press a little, so most here get a free pass.
    Well of course I'm just making a guess. I just think Votto will turn out to be better in the long run. I still like Jay.

I have two friends who played minor league baseball. Both like Joey better longterm. Maybe they've influenced me, but I like Votto better long term too. Hopefully they both turn out to be studs.

In no way am I saying Bruce should sit or that Bruce should go down. What I am saying is he has not looked good so far. I don't think thats really arguable.

He will be good, no doubt. He just hasn't looked it so far in this short season.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Well of course I'm just making a guess. I just think Votto will turn out to be better in the long run. I still like Jay.

I have two friends who played minor league baseball. Both like Joey better longterm. Maybe they've influenced me, but I like Votto better long term too. Hopefully they both turn out to be studs.
    I like Votto better long term too. Much better plate discipline and ability to get on base via the walk. The minor league numbers show that pretty clearly. Plus he plays a corner position and it is harder to replace production at first than it is in the outfield.

Could it change as Bruce grows into himself, yup, and I hope it does. Right now I think Votto could put up similar numbers to David Wright if given the support around him, while I think Bruce projects to a Jermaine Dye type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post

Wasn't there someone last year who wanted to compare him to Ted Williams? Wonder how that comparison looks now.

Turn Off Ads?