Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Thread: Too soon for callups?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,190

    Too soon for callups?

    Yes, sure it's too soon. But you'd think the Reds will be watching below to see who can help.

    Adam Rosales belongs on the Reds team. They only have one spare infielder, they should have another, and Rosales is off to a good start.

    The Reds middle relief is off to a shaky start. Herrera and Lincoln in particular. In the early going at AAA, Bray, Roenicke, Fisher, and Manuel are all off ok in very limited action. Something to watch.

    And there's always the Gomes watch. He could be brought up if the Reds struggle against lefties, as they have done for years now.

    If Hairston doesn't get going, a long shot for this season could be Stubbs to platoon with Dickerson. Probably for later in the season, not now.

    Also for later, if the Reds need a starter, we can watch Bailey, Maloney, and Ramirez. So far, Maloney had the best first start.

    Finally, at AAA, Frazier is off to a hot start in the early going. Too soon for AAA? Ok, perhaps a bit soon.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Stubbs, like Dickerson would be wasted in LF. One thing I've never disputed about Drew Stubbs is his defense.

    I do think it's too soon for callups. sends the wrong message. yes, players should be accountable for their performance, but it's been 5 days.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-13-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: because I can't tell CF from LF sometimes. oy.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #3
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Stubbs, like Dickerson would be wasted in CF. One thing I've never disputed about Drew Stubbs is his defense.

    I do think it's too soon for callups. sends the wrong message. yes, players should be accountable for their performance, but it's been 5 days.
    Stubbs would be wasted in CF? Huh?

  5. #4
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    9,485

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Think he meant LF

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,190

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Stubbs would be wasted in CF? Huh?

    Not sure what was meant, but a Dickerson/Stubbs platoon in either CF or LF makes sense. At some point, one or both may break out and deserve an everyday job, but with the defense and on base skills these guys hopefully would provide, they would be a good platoon initially.

    The Reds are going to have some decisions to make in the outfield.

    Dickerson, Stubbs, Votto, Frazier, Bruce, all likely slated for the outfield. Taveras is still young and, hopefully, will perform well enough to warrant consideration for the future. Dorn can hit as well, plays OF and now 1B. Heisey is also a solid outfield possibilty.

    It's a good problem to have, wonder how it will all shake out.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    I'm sure he meant LF.

    Only Rosales and Gomes are guys I could see call ups not really effecting other guys. Both of them made a very strong case to why they should be on the MLB roster.

  8. #7
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Stubbs would be wasted in CF? Huh?

    oops. meant LF.

    Taveras isn't going anywhere so we can stop fantasizing about that for the time being. Plus he hasn't embarrassed himself at the plate just yet. I'm not seeing this 100 SB's at this rate though.

    Basically what COULD happen is replacing Hairston. it's really the only choice. And no way do the Reds do that after pursuing him, re-signing him, and praising him the way they did this offseason and ST.
    Last edited by TRF; 04-13-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  9. #8
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    oops. meant LF.

    Taveras isn't going anywhere so we can stop fantasizing about that for the time being. Plus he hasn't embarrassed himself at the plate just yet. I'm not seeing this 100 SB's at this rate though.

    Basically what COULD happen is replacing Hairston. it's really the only choice. And no way do the Reds do that after pursuing him, re-signing him, and praising him the way they did this offseason and ST.
    Ok you confused me.

    Here is the way I see it. Stubbs is the CF of the future. He will have to supplant Taveras as the CF which if he keeps his OBP up he most probably will do that sometime next season. Dickerson has his chance to prove that he can play everyday LF this season. I would love to see him get a chance at hitting lefties before the Reds declare that he can't. It looks like there will become a log jam at LF. Dickerson, Votto/Alonso, and Frazier all look to be corner outfielders. IMO having Dickerson as a 4th outfielder won't be such a bad thing. But what I think happens in the future is that one of Frazier, Alonso or Votto get moved. I think it will be Alonso but stranger things have happened.

    IMO the best case scenario would be Frazier is able to hold down 3b, Votto can play LF, Alonso plays 1b, and Dickerson becomes a very dependable 4th outfielder.

  10. #9
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Ok you confused me.

    Here is the way I see it. Stubbs is the CF of the future. He will have to supplant Taveras as the CF which if he keeps his OBP up he most probably will do that sometime next season. Dickerson has his chance to prove that he can play everyday LF this season. I would love to see him get a chance at hitting lefties before the Reds declare that he can't. It looks like there will become a log jam at LF. Dickerson, Votto/Alonso, and Frazier all look to be corner outfielders. IMO having Dickerson as a 4th outfielder won't be such a bad thing. But what I think happens in the future is that one of Frazier, Alonso or Votto get moved. I think it will be Alonso but stranger things have happened.

    IMO the best case scenario would be Frazier is able to hold down 3b, Votto can play LF, Alonso plays 1b, and Dickerson becomes a very dependable 4th outfielder.
    None of what you just posted has anything to do with right now. Of course the Reds will look at Taveras successor next year, he got a two year deal. And Stubbs is a candidate, as is Heisey, Dickerson and whomever from outside the organization. So basically we've narrowed down the 2011 CF to anyone playing CF anywhere. But that has nothing to do with this thread. Callup possibilities RIGHT NOW do not include Stubbs, Heisey or really anyone not named Rosales. Gomes is possible, but he better hit the snot out of the ball at AAA and even then, he doesn't fit into the Walt philosophy of speed, defense then hitting.

    So, RIGHT NOW, I don't see anyone getting the call before the end of May barring injury, with Rosales being the most likely candidate.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,499

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Might we see Rosales to 3b and EE to LF either as part of a platoon or by himself (given how out of favor CD seems to be)?

  12. #11
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    None of what you just posted has anything to do with right now. Of course the Reds will look at Taveras successor next year, he got a two year deal. And Stubbs is a candidate, as is Heisey, Dickerson and whomever from outside the organization. So basically we've narrowed down the 2011 CF to anyone playing CF anywhere. But that has nothing to do with this thread. Callup possibilities RIGHT NOW do not include Stubbs, Heisey or really anyone not named Rosales. Gomes is possible, but he better hit the snot out of the ball at AAA and even then, he doesn't fit into the Walt philosophy of speed, defense then hitting.

    So, RIGHT NOW, I don't see anyone getting the call before the end of May barring injury, with Rosales being the most likely candidate.
    I apologize for straying off topic.

    Rosales may be the most likely call up right now. It seems as if Gonzo's knee is healthy enough to play almost every day, with the exceptions of day game after night game. I think the need for Janish to be on the team was an insurance plan on Gonzo's knee.

  13. #12
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Rosales may be the most likely call up right now. It seems as if Gonzo's knee is healthy enough to play almost every day, with the exceptions of day game after night game. I think the need for Janish to be on the team was an insurance plan on Gonzo's knee.
    And if Rosales does get the call it will be at Janish' expense. Because JHJ can play everywhere. At least that is the bill being sold. Truth is he can't really play anywhere well except possibly CF. But playing him in CF has no benefit.

    Janish has a defined role. He can play 2B and SS, and probably 3B too. I wouldn't start him over anyone, but I can see him as a defensive replacement/spot starter.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  14. #13
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,963

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Can Rosales play the OF too? If so, then perhaps the guy that would be moved to make room for him is Nix.

  15. #14
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,108

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    And if Rosales does get the call it will be at Janish' expense. Because JHJ can play everywhere. At least that is the bill being sold. Truth is he can't really play anywhere well except possibly CF. But playing him in CF has no benefit.

    Janish has a defined role. He can play 2B and SS, and probably 3B too. I wouldn't start him over anyone, but I can see him as a defensive replacement/spot starter.
    Rosales can play 1b, 2b, 3b, Im not so sure about SS because the Reds moved him off of SS. I would imagine in a pinch he could play SS, probably better than JHJ can. Until proven otherwise Janish is a younger, slightly better, version of Juan Castro. I have no problem sending Janish down to bring up a better bat in Rosales.

  16. #15
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,254

    Re: Too soon for callups?

    Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Can Rosales play the OF too? If so, then perhaps the guy that would be moved to make room for him is Nix.
    I believe he's played LF some.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25