Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds are pursuing 2013 All-Star Game

Re: Reds are pursuing 2013 All-Star Game

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I would say the Twins, Mets, Nats, and possibly Marlins might have something to say about this....not to mention the Royals who are "guaranteed a spot" soon...I think.

I have read also that the Red Sox want it again to celebrate 100 years (2012). My bet is that we will be lucky to have it by 2020.
    I agree, the Reds are going to be in line behind a lot of other cities, and by 2020 we'll start to hear how outdated GAB is
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?

They'd sell dozens and dozens of tickets.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    They'd have to add an extra air traffic controller over at CVG that night.
    If someone hits one in the direction of CVG, wouldn't it be foul?

And, after 9/11, didn't the FAA mandate planes not fly over sporting events (except of course if it's like the new Mets ballpark which is always on either final approach or post take off from LaGuardia)?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's about time. Every new park seems to get a crack at it except for us. Are outsiders intimidated by the immense size of our smoke stacks? (Smoke stack envy.) Are they disgusted that we like chili on our spaghetti? (And Skyline/Gold Star cheese coneys in general? Yes, this counts for all Reds fans in Columbus and Dayton too. It's not a phenomenon limited to Cincinnatians. Love me some Skyline. I think if you're a Reds fan liking that stuff is a pre-req. And for those that don't know... the secret ingredient is chocolate. Yes, chocolate. Now you'll think of that every time you eat it... I guarantee it.)

Would love it if the Reds got the All Star game in '13. Hopefully that happens.

I hope it happens, but I would not bet on it.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Selig on the All-Star Game
    Posted by JohnFay at 6/20/2009 6:34 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

One the reasons the Reds wanted to host the Civil Rights Game was to make a good impression on the Major League Baseball in order to help land the All-Star Game in 2013.

It worked.

"They deserve an All-Star Game," Commissioner Bud Selig said. "The problem we have these days -- back in the 90s you had to beg cities to host. Now, we're jammed. Every time we build a new ballpark -- like in Florida, Minnesota and the Mets -- they want one. So I've got to work my way through this. They deserve an All-Star Game, and I'm going to do my very best to get them one."

Selig was very pleased with the ceremonies leading up the Civil Rights Game.

"Cincinnati should be very proud," Selig said. "They've done an extraordinary job."

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

I don't know if it really helped or not, but I wouldn't expect Bud to say anything differently than what he did. Canned response basically.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Selig on the All-Star Game
    Posted by JohnFay at 6/20/2009 6:34 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

One the reasons the Reds wanted to host the Civil Rights Game was to make a good impression on the Major League Baseball in order to help land the All-Star Game in 2013.

It worked.

"They deserve an All-Star Game," Commissioner Bud Selig said. "The problem we have these days -- back in the 90s you had to beg cities to host. Now, we're jammed. Every time we build a new ballpark -- like in Florida, Minnesota and the Mets -- they want one. So I've got to work my way through this. "

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    WEEI in Boston had Selig on with one of the Red Sox owners (Tom Warner I think) this past Friday and Selig said the same thing- nearly word for word- when they were saying how special the last All Star game in Fenway was and would he give it to them for the anniversary. Selig impressed me in the interview.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

IMO they need to set up a constant rotation for the ASG's. This bidding for one garbage is ridiculous. Every team deserves to host one. Period. I couldn't care less about "new stadiums" and such. It's per FRANCHISE...not per stadium.

Set up a list based on first franchise to newest franchise then start doing them in order. If a new team is added, then they go to the end of the list and don't get one right away (should be at least a 5 year waiting period for a new franchise).

Simple and fair.

*bump*

From C. Trent's blog:

Only one fan asked a question of Bob Castellini, who was making one of his three stops on the caravan. The question was about getting an All-Star game.

"We'll get it," Castellini said. "We're on the case."

Thom Brennaman, the MC, noted that the games were picked "two or three years in advance" and Castellini jumped in, "more than that."

From what I hear, there's a chance at the 2017 game or the 2019 game. Baseball has said they could have the 2019 game -- the 150th anniversary of pro baseball -- but the Reds want the 2017 game

http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...ravan-stop.php

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    *bump*

From C. Trent's blog:

Only one fan asked a question of Bob Castellini, who was making one of his three stops on the caravan. The question was about getting an All-Star game.

"We'll get it," Castellini said. "We're on the case."
    I like that, "We're on the case." What is he, a detective or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2019?

Yeah that'll happen.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    2019?

Yeah that'll happen.
    Jesus I'll nearly be 30 then.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Jesus I'll nearly be 30 then.
    Pft, I will be 35. I don't like the sound of that....

The good news is the Cubs still won't have won a World Series.

Turn Off Ads?