Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about downtown

Question about downtown

I'v noticed some action on that giant space between PBS and GABP, that is the banks project right? What exactly are they going to put there?
    Last edited by BearcatShane; 04-13-2009 at 11:57 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Question about downtown

Here's the development site: http://www.carterdawson.com/

It's a mixed-use development of low and mid-rise apartments, condos, retail, office and hotel space. The construction you see now is only the first phase. The project will develop all the land between the stadiums, second street and the river.

There's also a park going in there that should be really nice. http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/citypar...s_pdf14004.pdf

This project stalled for over five years as the city and county squabbled and struggled to iron out the financing and development issues. Those issues have since been resolved.
    Last edited by paintmered; 04-14-2009 at 07:28 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It's a mixed development with retail on the bottom two or three floors and condos on top of that.

That's if it ever gets finished.

Should be a fun place to hang out before and after Reds games. And perhaps a nice place to live if the price is right...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

That would be an awesome place to have an apartment. Too bad it's gonna cost an arm and a leg to live there.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

The area would have been even nicer if we hadn't wasted prime real estate on the underground railroad museum, which nobody goes to and isn't even financially viable.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    The area would have been even nicer if we hadn't wasted prime real estate on the underground railroad museum, which nobody goes to and isn't even financially viable.
    I wouldn't say that nobody goes to it. Many people do and it's quite a hot spot for school field trips. It's just been terribly run and has had a lot of personnel problems and corruption. But if they take care of the personnel issues, it could be financially viable and it certainly has historical significance.

I do not agree with the architectural planning of that thing though. I think it's supposed to be ugly from the north as a symbolic thing indicating "facing slavery", but it's just an ugly building on the river and nobody really knows why.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Once they built GABP (in a van) down by the river, they should have built the Underground Railroad Museum up at Broadway Commons.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Once they built GABP (in a van) down by the river, they should have built the Underground Railroad Museum up at Broadway Commons.
    Any place but where they put it would have been fine.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

:Cough: Racist :Cough:
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

Not that Cincinnati is a forward thinking city by any means, but if they wanted to revitalize and reshape the city, putting all your eggs in one basket was the incorrect approach. They plan to put everything down by the river. Big mistake.

If you want to make change in the city, you put attractions in various parts of the city. For example, if Cincy wants to get serious about improving OTR, why not put the URM up there?

How cool would it have been had they built a similar complex to Newport on the Levee somewhere in the middle of downtown, or up near Music Hall?

Instead, Cincinnatians have no reason to stay on their side of the OH, and every reason to cross the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Not that Cincinnati is a forward thinking city by any means, but if they wanted to revitalize and reshape the city, putting all your eggs in one basket was the incorrect approach. They plan to put everything down by the river. Big mistake.

If you want to make change in the city, you put attractions in various parts of the city. For example, if Cincy wants to get serious about improving OTR, why not put the URM up there?

How cool would it have been had they built a similar complex to Newport on the Levee somewhere in the middle of downtown, or up near Music Hall?

Instead, Cincinnatians have no reason to stay on their side of the OH, and every reason to cross the river.
    While I do have an admitted bias towards Cincinnati, I beg to differ. There are several attractions around downtown and OTR that are pretty significant. You have Fountain Square, the Aronoff, the Contemporary Arts Center, several theater companies, art galleries, restaurants, bars throughout OTR and downtown, the Taft Museum, Findlay Market, the Museum Center, the Zoo, etc. The market for condos in downtown and OTR is also doing tremendous all things considered. So I think it is important right now to focus a lot of resources on Cincinnati's "front door" which has been a mud pit for the past few years. Hopefully in a few years, we will also have a nice little streetcar connecting all those attractions as well.

Also, the Freedom Center might have had a little better start if the Banks had been developed on time and had drawn a lot more people to that area...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    While I do have an admitted bias towards Cincinnati, I beg to differ. There are several attractions around downtown and OTR that are pretty significant. You have Fountain Square, the Aronoff, the Contemporary Arts Center, several theater companies, art galleries, restaurants, bars throughout OTR and downtown, the Taft Museum, Findlay Market, the Museum Center, the Zoo, etc. The market for condos in downtown and OTR is also doing tremendous all things considered. So I think it is important right now to focus a lot of resources on Cincinnati's "front door" which has been a mud pit for the past few years. Hopefully in a few years, we will also have a nice little streetcar connecting all those attractions as well.

Also, the Freedom Center might have had a little better start if the Banks had been developed on time and had drawn a lot more people to that area...
    Bingo. Over the Rhine is WAY more developed than the Riverfront right now, and has a totally different feel than what they're going for at the Banks. I do almost all of my shopping in OTR, for example. Groceries, housewares, everything. It's where most of the theaters and many galleries are as well. That's not the goal around the ballparks. They're working (successfully) at making OTR a living space, whereas the goal for the riverfront, I think, is more a tourist/night-out space.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 04-16-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Bingo. Over the Rhine is WAY more developed than the Riverfront right now, and has a totally different feel than what they're going for at the Banks. I do almost all of my shopping in OTR, for example. Groceries, housewares, everything. It's where most of the theaters and many galleries are as well. That's not the goal around the ballparks. They're working (successfully) at making OTR a living space, whereas the goal for the riverfront, I think, is more a tourist/night-out space.
    And that's wonderful to hear because OTR is such a gorgeous area and so important to this city. I truly believe the streetcar will have a huge impact on this city in continuing that momentum of downtown and OTR. It will attract residents and development in much needed areas especially in OTR.

I urge everyone interested in the future of Cincinnati to support the streetcars. Here a few links for more information...

http://www.cincystreetcar.com/
    http://cincystreetcar.wordpress.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...3906674?ref=ts
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post

So, IIRC, why since 2005 has Cincinnati experienced population decline in the city proper and metropolitan area?

Off the top of my head, in the same time period, the Maisonette closed its doors, along with Redfish (and I'm sure other restaurants).

And what happened to the Main St bar district?

I see more businesses and people leaving down than developments and projects created.

Turn Off Ads?