Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Credit For Taveras

Some Credit For Taveras

The Taveras we saw last night was the one the front office thought they signed and the one most of us thought was a mirage. Let's hope the FO was right. You can't steal first, but you can certainly steal second if you work your way on base that many times! Nice game for #3 last night.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some Credit For Taveras

I agree. Once he gets on it's exciting to watch him try to create havoc on the base path

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I kept saying to myself last night: this lineup/team is working tonight (at least for this 1 night of the season) how it was constructed to run......
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

He's got a .444 OBP. Obviously no way he keeps that up. But if he can stay in the .340 - .360 range, we may have found something.

It was clear on the Hairston home run last night that he does have a pretty big effect on how opposing pitchers attack when he's on base. If he puts it all together he will be a pretty great weapon.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I have to agree with the TV guys last night. What the hell was Dusty doing when Willie got on late in the game? No steal, no bunt?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    He's got a .444 OBP. Obviously no way he keeps that up. But if he can stay in the .340 - .360 range, we may have found something.

It was clear on the Hairston home run last night that he does have a pretty big effect on how opposing pitchers attack when he's on base. If he puts it all together he will be a pretty great weapon.
    He was definitely in the head of the pitcher the same way players like Brock and Henderson were. People often underestimate the psychological effect a top notch speedster has on the other team; you can't easily quantify it but if you did some statistical research of OBP/AVG/SLG with a league leading stealer on I suspect it would prove the point.

As long as he keeps walking I'll be happy

My favorite player so far. I get excited when hits a grounder to the second basemen. He's that kind of player. He won't keep the pace up obviously but that's okay. And yes, I scream at the TV most times he's on first because they aren't sending him.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Is he the son of Frank Taveras who played for the Pirates way back when?

Anyway, he is lightning quick and causes alot of problems.

In theory, this was a good move as long as Taveras holds up his end of the deal, knows his job is to get on base, and makes things happen.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    My favorite player so far. I get excited when hits a grounder to the second basemen. He's that kind of player. He won't keep the pace up obviously but that's okay. And yes, I scream at the TV most times he's on first because they aren't sending him.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    I would have to think that a guy like Taveras would have the green light and wouldn't get the call from the bench. I think a lot of not stealing last night was the fact that he was facing a lefty who was giving him a lot of attention.

Also, I think Taveras may still be feeling the effects of the flu a bit. Maybe he didn't have his legs 100% under him yet and he is just now starting to feel it. Just a thought.
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I credit Hairston's dinger last night at least partially to T-Mobile.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Big willy style all in it!

As long as he is patient atp and works counts and i think he needs top work his bunting skills a bit.

But i hope he keeps it up! We just might finally have a decent lead off guy.

Watching him steal two bases last night reminded me of Eric Davis in his prime back in 1986 when he swiped 80.
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

....and if Dickerson can keep from running into showers, maybe he can do some damage to opposing teams instead of to shower stalls.

Yea Willy T is looking very good right now.....I will say I was very skeptical bringing him aboard and didn't think he would be anything good....It has been a very good surprise and hopefully he keeps it up...We will need everything and more he can give

Turn Off Ads?