Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Becketts Suspension

Re: Becketts Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

It sounds a lot harsher than it actually is.
    6 games suspension for Beckett comes to 6 non paid days, or at his salary, $370,370.

Seems a little larger than nothing attached to that number.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    6 games suspension for Beckett comes to 6 non paid days, or at his salary, $370,370.

I wouldn't disagree with you on the monetary side of things. But in terms of missed playing time, it's minimal.

He'll appeal it anyway and it will be reduced.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Maybe I've shared this story before, but a business associate played in the minors for the Reds back in the 50's (same time as my friend I mention occasionally). The Reds minor leaguers back then trained in Texas, El Paso I think. Johnny Vander Meer was running the camp that season. This guy was a shortstop and in trying to turn a double play, he threw the ball away avoiding the runner coming in standing up. Vandy ripped him a new one, in the colorful language he was wont to use and told him that the next time he's to aim the ball right through the guys head and he'll get down. Sure enough in the second game, same thing happens. Ken throws straight through and bam, hits the guy square, knocks him flat and the ball goes flying in the air. Different times, no?
    I've been on the receiving end of the throw to the melon when you don't get down trying to break up a DP.

I was always gunshy after that, but never got down, hoping that by me taking one for the team would actually help the team. I did, however, learn to turn my head while going in so that my earflap faced the thrower.... So, I guess I learned something from the situation....

Your story made me remember how my Dad used to coach me and our teams growing up. He was never a fan of us changing the way we played or went about the game b/c of the other team.... I remember him telling our middle infielders that if the runner coming into the bag wasn't getting down to "throw it through his (expletive deleted) face".

Other teams definitely accused our team of dirty play, but I never saw it that way.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Are you sure those suspension games are unpaid? That wasn't the case under the old collective bargaining agreement, and if I had to guess, I think only steroid suspensions are unpaid. The article mentioned an undisclosed fine.

For the record, I think Bob Watson is right that this was intentional given the context. Beckett was frustrated that Abreu stepped out. I realize pitchers are taught to go ahead and finish the pitch when time is called, but you don't usually gun it at full speed at the direction of the batters head.

I also agree with the point that suspending a starting pitcher for any less than 5 games is toothless.

I could care less that the umpires didn't think it was intentional. They don't have the benefit of instant replay, and I don't always concur w/Joe West's judgment anyway (see e.g. the strike zone in last night's game).

This also isn't a court of law, and the standard of guilt isn't "beyond a reasonable doubt." Bob Watson has to make assumptions about intent when serious risk to players is at stake. It seems a LOT more likely than not that this was intentional.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 04-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

I don't think Beckett was just suspended for the pitch, if he stays on the mound and keeps his mouth shut, the whole bench incitement never happens. The way he comes charging towards the batter gets him suspended IMO.

Turn Off Ads?