Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positives and Negatives so far

Positives and Negatives so far

Starting and relief pitching have been what we hoped for. We just weren't sure which Harang would show up. Volquez doesn't seem to have his best stuff working right now, but is surviving. Arroyo has been decent. The bullpen has been lights out.

Votto has been amazing.
    Taveras doing what we got him for so far.
    Phillips has been consistent.
    EE has been EE.

Bruce has struggled.
    LF is a question mark.

SS is the biggest negative and question mark to date, IMHO.

I'm also not so sure that Hanigan isn't better than Hernandez. Might have been a waste of money, but hard to say after 7 games.
    Who's on first?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Positives and Negatives so far

Time to move Phillips to SS where he belongs?

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    You can't move BP during the year, IMO. He is a gold glove 2B....why even move him? Instead of being weak at SS, we are weak at 2B? I don't see how that really helps.

Lets trade for Felipe Lopez!
    @#$% my @#$%^*&

I think SS is a more important position. JHMO.

Have you seen Keppinger's numbers?

Positive = Willy taking walks!! Loved seeing that last night.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    NO. Brandon Phillips is a 2B who came up through the minors as a SS. He is a second baseman, and that's it.

As far as positives go, Willy Taveras is really proving us all wrong so far. He was on base three more times last night and stole two. Harang and Arroyo have both looked sharp, and Cordero hasn't given up a run in his three appearances. Votto is killing the ball, and Edwin has looked good at the plate. Dickerson and McDonald are a combined 6-for-19.

Negatives Bruce, Volquez, Hairston and Gonzalez's bat

Easily the biggest positive thus far has been the improved plate patience shown by Reds hitters, particularly by Phillips and Taveras who have drawn seven and four walks respectively. One of my biggest worries coming into this season was that outside of Votto and Edwin, this was a very OBP challenged group but as a whole they've been much better than I expected in that regard.

On a similar note, I'd consider the play of Willy Tavares to be a big positive in the early going. I was fairly critical of the decision to bring in Taveras but if he maintains his patient approach for the entire season he suddenly becomes an effectively lead off hitter and with his speed on the bases, he becomes a legitimate offensive threat.

After that my next biggest positive is the early bounce back from Aaron Harang.

The biggest negative so far would be the production (or lack thereof) from the bottom third of the lineup. It's still very early but Alex Gonzalez has looked terrible at the plate and one has to wonder how much all that time away from baseball has diminished his offensive skillset. Hernandez has been almost equally as bad but he seems much more likely to bounce back though to be honest I'm not sure the Reds wouldn't be better served with Hanigan as the starting catcher.

My only other negative would be the lack of playing time so far for Chris Dickerson. I can see sitting him against a really tough lefty like Santana, though not if your next best option is Darnell McDonald, but otherwise I'd really like to see him in an everyday role.

Edwin is wasted in the bottom of the order, why do you think he is getting walks? No one behind him to drive him in.

Been on base 11 times and scored once on his own HR.

Keppinger:
    5 hits in 9 AB's. 1 HR. 2 Rbi. .556 average. 1 W. 0 K's (as usual).

I knew this would be a mistake.

He's better offensively than Gonzo or Janish. Face it.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Keppinger:
    5 hits in 9 AB's. 1 HR. 2 Rbi. .556 average. 1 W. 0 K's (as usual).

I knew this would be a mistake.

He's better offensively than Gonzo or Janish. Face it.
    Yes, but he has no range.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly View Post
    Yes, but he has no range.
    They should have moved BP to SS in the offseason and put Kepp at 2B. It would have solved alot of problems.
    Who's on first?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Starting and relief pitching have been what we hoped for. We just weren't sure which Harang would show up. Volquez doesn't seem to have his best stuff working right now, but is surviving. Arroyo has been decent. The bullpen has been lights out.

Votto has been amazing.
    Taveras doing what we got him for so far.
    Phillips has been consistent.
    EE has been EE.

Bruce has struggled.
    LF is a question mark.

SS is the biggest negative and question mark to date, IMHO.

I'm also not so sure that Hanigan isn't better than Hernandez. Might have been a waste of money, but hard to say after 7 games.
    I think a couple of the pitchers have left little to be desired, I agree with the bullpen comment.

Vott has been great, LF Dickerson batting .300 all that bad?

SS is horrible Agon is nut up to snuff yet, Hanigan is better than Hernandez IMHO but time will tell. Willie T doing what he does I dont mind that at all, keep it up.

Don't move BP, give other people a chance to play SS until AGOn gets up and running (maybe a nice minor league stint would help)??
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Turn Off Ads?