Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Extend Votto? Others?

Extend Votto? Others?

If you were Walt Jocketty would you pursue giving Joey Votto a contract extension? Is there another player you would lock up?

I think if Arroyo is traded it is necessary they lock up Joey Votto. Maybe wait until they decide what to do with Alonso, but Votto is a very good (not great) player who I think could still be had for a rather inexpensive extension...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Extend Votto? Others?

what sort of deal are you thinking?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Let them play!

Votto's got 1.037 years of MLB service time, which means he's got this year and next before he's eligible for arbitration. I don't think there's any immediate need to give him an extension, when he can be signed for the minimum the next 2 years. You do consider an extension however, as he gets closer to arbitration.

Okay, for an example I give you Evan Longoria:

Code:
    Evan Longoria 3b
    6 years/$17.5M (2008-13), plus 2014-16 club options

* 6 years/17.5M (2008-13), plus 2014-16 club options
              o signed extension with Tampa Bay 4/18/08
              o 08:$0.5M, 09:$0.55M, 10:$0.95M, 11:$2M, 12:$4.5M, 13:$6M, 14:$7.5M club option ($3M buyout), 15:$11M club option, 16:$11.5M club option
              o if Longoria otherwise would be arbitration-eligible
                    + after 2010, 2011 salary increases to $2.5M
                    + after 2011, buyout for 2014 option increases to $4M
              o club must decide by 11/2014 whether to exercise 2015-16 options
              o 2016 option may increase to $14M based on rankings in MVP vote
        * contract purchased by Tampa Bay 4/12/08
        * drafted 2006 (1-3) (Long Beach St.)
        * $3M signing bonus
        * agent: Paul Cohen
        * ML service: 0.170

I'm not sure Votto profiles to be as good as Longoria. I might lock him up for three years, 10-12 million, though.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Longoria had less than a week in the majors, so Votto would take more, but it's worth exploring because of the potential that he hits 40+ HRs and 100+ RBI in his 3rd year and winds up getting big money through arbitration.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

If Votto hits the .300-30-100 threshold this year, I would imagine the Reds will start thinking about this sort of thing. What they want to avoid is overpaying for the same type of .280-25-85 player they've had at 1B for practically the last two decades. Don't get me wrong--I think Votto will be better than most all those guys--but I would imagine they'd also want to see how Alonso plays out before they decide where to allocate their money.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not sure Votto profiles to be as good as Longoria. I might lock him up for three years, 10-12 million, though.
    There is absolutely no reason to give Votto 10-12 for 3 years when he is going to be making basically league min for all of this year and next year. If we lock Votto up, it should be in the 6-7 year range for $20-25.

Man what a great deal the Rays made. If they hadn't made that deal, Longoria would have gotten REAL expensive in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If I understand correctly, if the Reds do nothing, they get him really cheap in 2009 and 2010 (pre arb years).

Votto probably isn't going to get that much in his first two years of arb. Few players do.. Look at other players for a comp. Even Dunn did not get that much in his first two years of arb-eligibliity.

IMO, the only thing that makes sense is signing Votto for 6-7 years. Buy out those expensive arbitration years and maybe the first year of free agency.
    Then you have potential to save some money.

That said, I like Votto, but I am not sure he's a "cornerstone" type player to lock up, especially with Alonso in the pipeline. I can see a scenerio where Alonso comes up maybe in 2010 or 2011 and Votto is traded. Votto is going to be easier to trade without a long term contract.

Another thing to examine is the falling market for FAs.. if the owners are able to maintain this mini-collusion (and I think they will try), it makes even less sense to lock up non-superstars long term. Why would someone trade for Votto 3 years/12 million if they can sign a comparable FA to a one year 4 million dollar contract?

Votto is a nice player, but I'm not signing him longterm now unless it's pretty absurd. Votto isn't going to sign an absurd long term deal.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to give Votto 10-12 for 3 years when he is going to be making basically league min for all of this year and next year. If we lock Votto up, it should be in the 6-7 year range for $20-25.

Man what a great deal the Rays made. If they hadn't made that deal, Longoria would have gotten REAL expensive in 2011.
    I don't like 7 year contracts; I don't like 6 year commitments, either. I also don't like paying players who perform league minimum, if after those three years I want him to consider re-signing.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

IMO, the only thing that makes sense is signing Votto for 6-7 years. Buy out those expensive arbitration years and maybe the first year of free agency.
    Then you have potential to save some money.
    I agree. Wait until his final pre-arb year, then lock him up for at least the first year of free agency.

That said, I like Votto, but I am not sure he's a "cornerstone" type player to lock up, especially with Alonso in the pipeline. I can see a scenerio where Alonso comes up maybe in 2010 or 2011 and Votto is traded. Votto is going to be easier to trade without a long term contract.
    I would not count on Alonso or any prospect until their AAA numbers force you to do so.

Also, I would argue that a young player signed for several years at a reasonable amount is infinitely more tradeable than a young player primed to earn two or three pay raises in arbitration.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    If you were Walt Jocketty would you pursue giving Joey Votto a contract extension?
    Yes.

I would look to lock him up probably next season. I know he will be entering his arbitration years but if he continues to play the way he has he will get expensive and expensive quickly. Two years ago Ryan Howard got $10M in his first year eligable for arbitration. Whether or not Votto is as good as Howard he may in line for a big payday due to that contract.

What I would look to do is buy out his remaining years under his rookie contract and then extend him for about 3 more. Votto is a little old for a second year player and it would be nice to have him locked up for his prime years.

Turn Off Ads?