Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Re: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

I was at the game in Milwaukee for this start. I drove 4 1/2 hours to get there. He wasn't THAT bad. He wasn't responsible for this loss. Tie game with one runner on when he left the game. The bullpen gave up that runner plus 4 more that inning & 3 more later. Owings will be ok. He just didn't throw enough strikes. In my opinion, he was trying to throw that perfect pitch every time instead on throwing a good pitch. As I stated before, Owings will be just fine. By the way, Homer hasn't set the International League on fire.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    So when do those same numbers apply to Homer who is putting up worse numbers than Owings is at AAA? Right now Owings is pitching MUCH better than Homer. But yet you would still rather have Homers 11+ ERA up in the big club? Doesn't make sense to me.
    He wasnt THAT bad last year. And i would assume with all of his talent i hear about he couldnt get any worse. I would rather see us take a chance in our investment. Than this straight ball pitcher owings.

Like ive said prior. I think homer has a tude problem. And kind of tore himself up over losing the spot this year.

got alil captain in u?

The guy hadn't pitched in ten days due to the rain out. For a first start of the year by a 5th starter those are pretty decent numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    He wasnt THAT bad last year. And i would assume with all of his talent i hear about he couldnt get any worse. I would rather see us take a chance in our investment. Than this straight ball pitcher owings.

Like ive said prior. I think homer has a tude problem. And kind of tore himself up over losing the spot this year.
    You're right he wasn't "that" bad last year. He had a 7.93ERA. That is not the kind of production I want out of number 5 starter.

He is still only 22 years old. There is plenty of time for him to figure it out still. As for the tude problem, you hit the nail on the head. He does have an attitude problem. And that may have also played a part in why he didn't get the 5th spot. I really hope he is able to bounce back from this horrible start he's had this year and become a productive part of the Reds starting rotation for years to come. But right now he is exactly where he needs to be, in AAA learning how to pitch and deal with adversity.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Wow.

6 pages from a thread that starts out, "The Sky is Falling".

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Wow.

6 pages from a thread that starts out, "The Sky is Falling".

Good reading ehh:

I hope Owings can do the same thing that Cueto did last night in Houston to put some of this nonsense to rest. IMO the way the Reds look right now, I would suggest that a few people untie their shoes so it is a little to put their foot in their mouth come Owings' second start.....or next pinch hit apperance.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    I hope Owings can do the same thing that Cueto did last night in Houston to put some of this nonsense to rest. IMO the way the Reds look right now, I would suggest that a few people untie their shoes so it is a little to put their foot in their mouth come Owings' second start.....or next pinch hit apperance.
    The reds scored 0 runs last night against oswalt. And squeezed out two on a HR in the 9th to win. Nothing wrong with that, however. 2 runs wont be near enough to win next time owings pitched. So im missing your point. Unless you think owings is going to do a complete 180 and become lights out. In which that case, im not sure what to think about your thought process.

Somebody needs to calm down. Making decisions on a player's value in such a limited time frame would have doomed the careers of many who went on to be stars. I saw (in person), Owings at a couple of ST games, late enough to be facing "A" line-ups. Owings pitching was very credible, especially for a 5th starter. I'd at least give him 3 more starts before I throw him under the bus.

PS. I was pulling for Homer as well, (instead of Masset, who has done right well). But, his performance at Louisville, plunking a batter w/ subsequent ejection after giving up a HR, shows Homer's lack of maturity. That temperment is exactly what has kept Zambrano from being the best pitcher in Baseball today. Get in his head and he'll do himself in.

I cant wait till the next owings start.

Im going to love the new excuses you guys will come up with when

"he hasnt thrown in 2 weeks to live batters"

"his first start, chill pill"

arent available

Wont his next start be against the cubbys.
    Well his e.r.a. is better than Volquez's. In fact his e.r.a. is better than the composite 7.50+ e.r.a. the 5th starters put up last year. When Owings e.r.a. is over 5.50 after about 5 to 10 starts, then start complaining.

There's really no reason to complain. He's the team's 5th starter and their best hitter off the bench. That's gotta have some value. Actually, he may be the best hitter on the team.

The reds scored 0 runs last night against oswalt. And squeezed out two on a HR in the 9th to win. Nothing wrong with that, however. 2 runs wont be near enough to win next time owings pitched. So im missing your point. Unless you think owings is going to do a complete 180 and become lights out. In which that case, im not sure what to think about your thought process.
    He does what he can to help the team win. That is my thought process. Many posts on this thread were throwing him out after giving up 4 Runs in Six innings. He is our 5th starter, of course he won't be lights out, but at the end of the day, he gave the reds a chance to win the ballgame and actually did win the ballgame a few days later with a double off the wall. I don't belive he is superman, but I do believe he is our best option as the 5th starter right now. Not to mention they don't have to face a guy who is 23-1 lifetime against the team when Owings makes his next start.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

From ESPN's Power Rankings this week:

"The Reds could have baseball's next Rick Ankiel. Righty Micah Owings is 0-1, 7.20 ERA as a starter, but he's hitting .400 with two doubles and two RBIs, both coming on his game-winning, pinch-hit double Sunday."

I'm considering the same thing. At what point if Owings doesn't pick up his pitching do we consider trying him out in left and giving him a start? I think at some point, this has to be a considerable option.

Well hes up again tonight.

We'll see what happens when he's facing a team that can actually hit.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Ok guys. Here we go again.

We spot the guy a nice lead in a big game and he promptly comes out and gets hit hard. Everything has been hard outs even. He's getting ahead of hitters then leaving pitches over the plate.

He's valuable as a hitter and all thay but he doesnt get guys out.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?