Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Re: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    In all honesty i would be willing to bet money that if homer was called up and put into the #5 role he will be 10times better than owings will ever be...owings = reliever
    If this was true, Homer would still be up here already, and not stinking it up in AAA, again. I dont think Owens is going to make any all star teams with his pitching anytime soon, but he is about what you expect out of a #5. Homer cant get his stuff together long enough to even make it, let alone deserve to stay. And I want him to as well!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    If this was true, Homer would still be up here already, and not stinking it up in AAA, again. I dont think Owens is going to make any all star teams with his pitching anytime soon, but he is about what you expect out of a #5. Homer cant get his stuff together long enough to even make it, let alone deserve to stay. And I want him to as well!
    so every team expects to lose with their 5th starter on the mound>?

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post

No and I don't either. He has not pitched up to the hype. If he was not hyped as he was then this would not be a discussion. He pitched great during spring. When he exited the games, we were not out of the games yet. Last night an error acounted for 3 runs. He did pitch himself into some sticky situations, but he also pitched out of them as well. Do you remember who our 5 man was last year?

I pretty much do when facing a healthy Harden. The bullpen hasn't helped keep us in either of the games Owings has started also.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    So, you twist someone's words to say something they weren't saying?

The guys had a whopping TWO starts as the five starter, and you're already railing into him. There's two questions you need to answer:

1) What do you realistically expect in a season ERA wise out of a 5th starter?

and

2) What other REALISTIC options are available for a 5th starter?

Bailey is bombing hard, pretty much is bust worthy nowadays, and the rest are minor league fodder. The fact that we have 4 rotation spots locked up is a testament in itself, when in the past Owings would have been anchoring the rotation along with the Steve Paris and Pete Harnisch's of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    i really think homer is sick of being in aaa and thinks he deserves to be with the reds, i really don't think he cares. When we sent him down we got the attitude that homer had last year

Owings
    2 starts. 9.2 innings. Let's wait a tad longer before crushing his dreams.

Old Red Guard Reject

Here's my take...

first of all, Owings doesn't seem to have much of an upside. No real plus pitches. No strike out pitch. Appears to be a sinker baller, but leaves too many pitches high in the zone. I can see why some folks would rather see Homer since he does have more upside and shows flashes of dominance. However, until he gets it together at AAA, unfortunately, we may not get to see him try his luck at the ML level.

Next, the expecatation of mediocrity out of the 5th spot is unacceptable. Walt should always be looking to improve the staff, not accept that the 5th starter is supposed to be poor. The team needs 5 good starters ideally, don't go for just good enough - strive for excellence in all 5 starters.

Finally, spring training is over. The debate using spring stats is irrelevant. "What have you done lately" is what I am concerned with and thus far Owings hasn't been anything special.

Just my .02
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Micah got screwed by Dickerson's error. How convenient to forget that.

He pitched well otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post
    So, you twist someone's words to say something they weren't saying?

The guys had a whopping TWO starts as the five starter, and you're already railing into him. There's two questions you need to answer:

1) What do you realistically expect in a season ERA wise out of a 5th starter?

and

2) What other REALISTIC options are available for a 5th starter?

Bailey is bombing hard, pretty much is bust worthy nowadays, and the rest are minor league fodder. The fact that we have 4 rotation spots locked up is a testament in itself, when in the past Owings would have been anchoring the rotation along with the Steve Paris and Pete Harnisch's of the world.
    You need to ask yourself a question.

Did you read the thread title.

"who hyped this guy owings>? "

In other words owings isnt living up to it.

Old Red Guard Reject

I will say this....I would rather see Owings than Lincoln.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    I will say this....I would rather see Owings than Lincoln.
    Faint praise indeed.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

He's had 2 games. Volquez was terrible his first 2 games. And Micah had Dickerson completely screw him by dropping that fly ball.

You guys are a tough crowd. And a ridiculously tough one to say the least. Micah will be fine. It could be much worse with Bailey up here. Triple AAA batters are hitting .326 against Homer in 3 starts. Nice (sarcasm). MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS are hitting .270 against Micah...........amazingly, they are hitting .270 against Volquez too. Micah has given up 10 hits in 9.2 innings pitched. Volquez has given up 17 hits in 15 innings pitched.

SEND VOLQUEZ DOWN!!!!! HE STINKS!!!!! (SARCASM)

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    He's had 2 games. Volquez was terrible his first 2 games. And Micah had Dickerson completely screw him by dropping that fly ball.

You guys are a tough crowd. And a ridiculously tough one to say the least. Micah will be fine. It could be much worse with Bailey up here. Triple AAA batters are hitting .326 against Homer in 3 starts. Nice (sarcasm). MAJOR LEAGUE HITTERS are hitting .270 against Micah...........amazingly, they are hitting .270 against Volquez too. Micah has given up 10 hits in 9.2 innings pitched. Volquez has given up 17 hits in 15 innings pitched.

SEND VOLQUEZ DOWN!!!!! HE STINKS!!!!! (SARCASM)
    Owings hasn't been that bad (better than our #5's i recent memory) but certainly isn't the pitcher that Volquez is. Ednison has a K/9 of 8.80 to Owings 4.66. Owings was hit pretty hard in both games, but kept the team in the hunt. Volquez's problem is that, although he has some plus pitches, he tries to nibble around the strike zone and walk too many hitters.

I certainly get, and agree with your point, that Owings should continue to be put out there and given more of a shot than two games.

BTW, if Owings isn't the answer, I bet you they don't look to Bailey next - they'll go to Masset. Especially with Bailey scuffling down in AAA.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

Well, they'll stick with Owings for awhile in the 5th spot, I'm sure. But if they don't, or if someone gets hurt, it might be June or something like that. If Matt Maloney continues to pitch well at Triple A, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the chance. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's a lefty, isn't he?

Turn Off Ads?