Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Re: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    so every team expects to lose with their 5th starter on the mound>?
    No, you expect him to pitch good enough to be able to compete, and let the rest of the team take the heat off with defense and hitting-we got neither that night. He didnt pitch great, but they should have been in the game if the rest of the team picked him up. Thats what ya expect out of number 5 guy. I don't know if he will be the answer, but not ready to throw him under the bus as many here have already.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_RedsFan View Post
    i really think homer is sick of being in aaa and thinks he deserves to be with the reds, i really don't think he cares. When we sent him down we got the attitude that homer had last year
    That kind of attitude is as bad as just sucking as a player in the first place, either way, your not doing yourself or the team any good. If he folds that easy, whats he going to do in tough times in Cincy? I think he needs to man up.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4 View Post
    Here's my take...

first of all, Owings doesn't seem to have much of an upside. No real plus pitches. No strike out pitch. Appears to be a sinker baller, but leaves too many pitches high in the zone. I can see why some folks would rather see Homer since he does have more upside and shows flashes of dominance. However, until he gets it together at AAA, unfortunately, we may not get to see him try his luck at the ML level.

Next, the expecatation of mediocrity out of the 5th spot is unacceptable. Walt should always be looking to improve the staff, not accept that the 5th starter is supposed to be poor. The team needs 5 good starters ideally, don't go for just good enough - strive for excellence in all 5 starters.

Finally, spring training is over. The debate using spring stats is irrelevant. "What have you done lately" is what I am concerned with and thus far Owings hasn't been anything special.

Just my .02
    So, since ya got it figured out, who ya replacing him with then? I agree you should always look to improve, seems commomn sense that goes for any position, but there is also a thing called reality. Geez, I have already gotten in mid season defensive mode already
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

You need to ask yourself a question.

Did you read the thread title.

"who hyped this guy owings>? "

In other words owings isnt living up to it.
    Uhm ,he is a number 5, I think hype is a strong word to begin with, if he was that hyped, he wouldnt be #5....
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Uhm ,he is a number 5, I think hype is a strong word to begin with, if he was that hyped, he wouldnt be #5....

ummm he was hyped.

ummm he was hyped.
    No he wasn't. Who hyped him?

He's the fifth starter, for goodness sakes.

I can't remember a 5th starter of ANY MLB TEAM being hyped.

If that is hype, what do you call the RIDICULOUS HYPE that constantly surrounds your boy in Louisville with the plus 6.00 e.r.a. that is allowing batters to hit over .320 against him? The hype on that guy goes beyond normal. He doesn't deserve it.

Face the facts..........if Dickerson catches that ball, Owings gets out of the inning with the score still tied at 2. He probably gives one more inning, goes 5 innings, gives up 2 runs, and they take him out. He pitched fine. The defense let him down. In the end, he was still only credited 2 EARNED RUNS.

The lack of common sense in this thread astounds me.

Edit: And one more thing..................considering our 5th starters combined to produce a plus 7.00 e.r.a. last year.............most intelligent fans were looking forward to a 5th starter who could possibly keep the e.r.a. under 5.00.

Well, I admitted that I was the one that hyped him earlier in the post....shouldn't that have ended this discussion? The question was answered after all...Besides, Dunn would have caught that ball!!!

ummm he was hyped.
    I must not have read that thread, I havent heard anything hyping him, or maybe I realized he is a number 5 and knew better. I have heard his bat hyped, but not his pitching.
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    No he wasn't. Who hyped him?

I can't remember a 5th starter of ANY MLB TEAM being hyped.

If that is hype, what do you call the RIDICULOUS HYPE that constantly surrounds your boy in Louisville

The lack of common sense in this thread astounds me.

wasnt homer a 5th starter last year.

You go from saying the thing in bold, than talking about homers hype.

I agree about the common sense thing.

"Common Sense" was lost in Post #1 of this discussion thread!

Bounty: I was being sarcastic up until the point about Dunn making that catch anyway.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Well, they'll stick with Owings for awhile in the 5th spot, I'm sure. But if they don't, or if someone gets hurt, it might be June or something like that. If Matt Maloney continues to pitch well at Triple A, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the chance. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe he's a lefty, isn't he?
    Maloney has been, imo, the best minor league pitcher we have had for more than a year now. But still no major time up here. He is stuck behind Homer because of Homers hype. I want Homer, and Owings to succeed, but give the other guy a shot... just not yet.

wasnt homer a 5th starter last year.

You go from saying the thing in bold, than talking about homers hype.

I agree about the common sense thing.
    Micah has been a major league starter going into his third year now. Bailey has only sniffed the majors with no success.

Bailey's hype comes as a so-called can't-miss prospect. The constant gushing and fawning over Bailey makes me want to puke everytime I read it. The guy has done nothing in the past 2 seasons to warrant being in the majors. He might even be a bit of a headcase.

Meanwhile, guys like Cueto, Daryl Thompson (last year), Ramon Ramirez, and now possibly Maloney.......are passing Bailey in terms of triple A accomplishments..........while Bailey sits and sulks.

When Bailey gets his Louisville e.r.a. lower than Micah's major league e.r.a., then maybe we will talk. :

When Bailey gets his Louisville e.r.a. lower than Micah's major league e.r.a., then maybe we will talk. :
    And that right there is the heart of the argument. Micha is doing better than Homer at a higher level of competition.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Micah has been a major league starter going into his third year now. Bailey has only sniffed the majors with no success.

Bailey's hype comes as a so-called can't-miss prospect. The constant gushing and fawning over Bailey makes me want to puke everytime I read it. The guy has done nothing in the past 2 seasons to warrant being in the majors. He might even be a bit of a headcase.

Meanwhile, guys like Cueto, Daryl Thompson (last year), Ramon Ramirez, and now possibly Maloney.......are passing Bailey in terms of triple A accomplishments..........while Bailey sits and sulks.

The conversation isnt about homer. Its about owings hype. And him not living up to it.

Common sense thing.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Okay, I think we all agree Owings is the 5th starter, and as such a sub-5.00 ERA and the ability to keep games close is really all that fans can (should?) expect.

So, can we let this thread die please?

Turn Off Ads?