Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Re: So who hyped up this guy Owings.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Even I'm not this negative.

5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K

That sounds exactly like a line you'd expect from a 5th starter.
    I don't know that you would want to expect this from the 5th starter.But considering that it was his first start of the season and first time pitching in a game since spring training I think he does deserves a little bit of a break.Besides, the team was still in the game when he left.Thats more then what we could have said last season anytime the 5th starter spot in the rotation came up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I'll be sure to dig up the thread and my post when he's 10 starts in and no sign of the man we saw in Spring Training re-appears. He got lit in Arizona and he's going to get lit here as well.
    Ok, but be sure to dig up your posts where you stated that Homer should be starting instead of Harang as well.

He is the 5th starter and it's ONE game! Some of you people have to be joking
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 04-16-2009 at 07:11 AM.

If he can keep an ERA of 4.5 or so, that'd be pretty good from the #5 hole considering some of the dreck we've thrown out there in the past (Josh Fogg, anyone?).

He made 2 bad pitches to Mike Cameron... and other than that was decent. Definitely needs more starts before I'm ready to declare him a complete loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonFlyer View Post
    If he can keep an ERA of 4.5 or so, that'd be pretty good from the #5 hole considering some of the dreck we've thrown out there in the past (Josh Fogg, anyone?).

He made 2 bad pitches to Mike Cameron... and other than that was decent. Definitely needs more starts before I'm ready to declare him a complete loss.
    Heck if he could do that from the 4 hole, or even the 3 hole, I'd be happy...

anything better than a 5.0 is Gravy from the 5 hole, IMO...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Is this thread for real????

Did someone actually say "t-ball" Bailey should be the 5th starter and not Owings? You're kidding right?

Right now, I believe his e.r.a. is better than Volquez's. What.....no panic about Volquez? Certainly Edison isn't a true mlb starter with those numbers.

Well, the thread provided a nice laugh.

Don't forget, he hadn't pitched to live batters in like 2 weeks. Cut him some slack.

Listen..... that statement about "the Professionals/scouts/coaches are always right"

That is sheepish to say. It's especially not true in Cincinnati (in any sport). They've been wrong for what? The last decade? Just because the Reds make a move we are not required to think or assume it is the right move.
    Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Burton, Encarnacion, Dickerson, Hanigan, and more were either signed and developed or obtained on recommendation from these same scouts.

How old are you? I'm thinking you haven't been around the block long enough to making such bold statements.

Owings clearly outpitched Bailey in ST. Bailey is now getting rocked in triple AAA as usual. What was Bailey's e.r.a. up here last year..........something in the 7.00-8.00 range wasn't it? Not quite the 5.93 e.r.a. that an injured Owings put up last season. Yes, he continued to pitch hurt but didn't tell anyone. They finally shut him down. Tom Glavine has been pitching with a sore shoulder and has an e.r.a in the mid-5.00's right now.

It's one start.

Me thinks you're just frustrated because your boy Jay Bruce is about to get demoted.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I see some of you can find humor in this thread. And perhaps I could too if I thought some of the posters weren't serious.

But they are. And that scares me.

I think some of the posters on this thread are the same knee-jerk fans that call into the radio immediately after the game to provide their "analysis". Some of the posters on this thread sound like Banana Phone regulars.

My stomach hurts. I have to go read another thread and try to forget this trainwreck.

Owings stinks. Look up the posts. I said it in ST and I'll say it again. His future will never be as a starter. He's going to get lit at GABP all season long. Homer should have been here not Owings. 5th place teams make 5th place moves. Owings is nothing.
    Yeah, cause Honers line so far, against AAA'ers, is sooo much better so far
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Phillips, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, Cueto, Burton, Encarnacion, Dickerson, Hanigan, and more were either signed and developed or obtained on recommendation from these same scouts.

How old are you? I'm thinking you haven't been around the block long enough to making such bold statements.

Owings clearly outpitched Bailey in ST. Bailey is now getting rocked in triple AAA as usual. What was Bailey's e.r.a. up here last year..........something in the 7.00-8.00 range wasn't it? Not quite the 5.93 e.r.a. that an injured Owings put up last season. Yes, he continued to pitch hurt but didn't tell anyone. They finally shut him down. Tom Glavine has been pitching with a sore shoulder and has an e.r.a in the mid-5.00's right now.

It's one start.

Me thinks you're just frustrated because your boy Jay Bruce is about to get demoted.

No I just like Bailey better then Owings. I've been around the block long enough to know that he is going to continue to be run of the mill as long as he's starting, whereas Bailey I think could be special.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Owings on the MLB roster over Homer...... that wasn't on scouts. That is on the GM and the head coach. Period.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

No I just like Bailey better then Owings. I've been around the block long enough to know that he is going to continue to be run of the mill as long as he's starting, whereas Bailey I think could be special.

I'm talking about the decision to leave Owings on the MLB roster over Homer...... that wasn't on scouts. That is on the GM and the head coach. Period.
    ......and Homer's 11.00 e.r.a. in 2 starts at Triple A leads you to believe they made the wrong decision? Not to mention the 5 HR's he's given up in 8 innings. He has a WHIP of 2.00. I guess that's 5th starter material, huh?

Heres my questions to those that try and act as if first starts have little to no meaning.

How many losses does it take to have meaning>?

0-2>?

0-3>?

0-4>?

1-6>?

2-8>?

Im just trying to figure out how patient we all need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    ......and Homer's 11.00 e.r.a. in 2 starts at Triple A leads you to believe they made the wrong decision? Not to mention the 5 HR's he's given up in 8 innings. He has a WHIP of 2.00. I guess that's 5th starter material, huh?
    If we're looking for a Josh Fogg type.

By the way, Micah Owings is all of 26 years old, and beginning his third season in the major leagues. Is that what you call "run of the mill"? He was drafted in 2005 in the 3rd round by Arizona. Gee.........this is 2009..........4 total years in professional baseball and you want to give up on him?

Turn Off Ads?