Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Robinson Overkill

Jackie Robinson Overkill

I'm not commenting on Jackie Robinson the man. I'm talking about the MLB overkill. I think they are overdoing it. It seems as though there is a Jackie Robinson ceremony of some sort literally every week. We get it, MLB. Now move on.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: Jackie Robinson Overkill

I admire you for stating your opinion; in today's politically correct climate your comments could be taken the wrong way. But honestly I havent noticed a weekly Jackie Robinson tribute---you may be noticing the increase from the opening of the Mets' new park which has a Jackie Robinson rotunda. I dont have a problem with MLB taking April 15th to honor Mr. Robinson. Program sales probably were down for the day though with everyone wearing 42...

I feel that making everyone wear 42 cheapens the meaning of it a little.

I agree completely with the thread starter. Jackie's accomplishments are many. His life exceeds the boundries of professional baseball. With that said, MLB's ceremonies are overdone.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

MLB is definitely overdoing it. By constantly having some kind of remembrance they are cheapening his legacy, turning it into a PR opportunity for the leagues...the very same leagues that for so long sought to shut out minorities.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Having 1 game a year to honor him is overdoing it?

Ditto with the poster. Totally cheapens it, and ridiculous to see all Dodger players and various other teams parading around wearing #42.

Of course I didn't know Jackie Robinson, but if he were still alive, I'd venture to guess he, himself, wouldn't be comfortable with all of this.

It's 2009, let's move on. I'm tired of it being rammed down our throats by MLB at every corner -- we get it already.

BTW, how did the Mets suddenly morph into the Brooklyn Dodgers? Yes, I understand the history, i.e. Wilpon was a Dodger fan, the Mets creation post-Brooklyn Dodgers, and so forth. It just seems bizarre the NY Mets dedicating a rotunda, essentially a center-piece of the park, in Robinson's name. Why not the Tom Seaver Rotunda? Seems a far better connection and tribute to the history of the Mets.

Why is it ridiculous for everyoen to wear 42 for ONE game? I'm sure many casual or younger fans saw that and asked or looked up the reason why, and found out more about Jackie Robinson. How exactly is that a bad thing? How does changing the numbers on the back of their uniform change your game experience one iota?

Let's not underestimate the tremendous impact Robinson had, not only on baseball, but our nation. He was a symbol of something larger and went through hell to play the game. Call me crazy, but I think that deserves recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Having 1 game a year to honor him is overdoing it?
    IMO, yes. 10th, 25th, 50th and so on anniversaries, fine. But, every year? Totally unnecessary and very watered down. I'd venture to guess that accountants pointed out that this yearly remembrance creates just another handsome annual side profit for MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Why is it ridiculous for everyoen to wear 42 for ONE game?
    Overly contrived, perhaps? A sleeve patch, totally fine. But, EVERY player wearing the same number, and it's silliness. Aren't unique numbers sewn onto each MLB team uniform for a specific reason? Perhaps MLB would love to sell more #42 fan jerseys?

I'm sure many casual or younger fans saw that and asked or looked up the reason why, and found out more about Jackie Robinson. How exactly is that a bad thing?
    Not a bad thing. But, do you really think such events are left uncovered in the school curriculum in 2009?

How does changing the numbers on the back of their uniform change your game experience one iota?
    Do you keep score at games? Knowing MLB does this largely to sell jerseys, makes my $11 Dixie cup sized beer go down less smoothly.

Let's not underestimate the tremendous impact Robinson had, not only on baseball, but our nation. He was a symbol of something larger and went through hell to play the game. Call me crazy, but I think that deserves recognition.
    Fully agree. We're basically squabbling over how much recognition is enough, at this point.

It's one game a year and all those players that are wearing the number 42 made an individual choice to wear that number. They don't have to wear #42 if they do not want to. Today it is done; baseball is back to normal; I don't care for having to be PC all the time myself but I don't mind baseball 'celebrating' Jacque Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball once a year either. Just my opinion.

Bum

I see the point of the OP, I would take it a different route, why not celebrate more players who have made similar-even if not as dramatic-steps for baseball as well as society. Larry Doby, wasnt he the following season, and the first AL'er, why dont we give him some focus-to honor Robinson while expanding to others that faced challenges and overcame them. How bout the first Latino player? There were 2 brothers (real bro's, not the slang-cant recall names offhand) who played in the American Association in the 1800's, tell their story. There is a lot more then Jackie Robinson, not to diminsh what he did in any way, but lets expand if we are going to celebrate and honor. It is sort of like every city having a MLK rd/hwy/blvd, was he the only black that deserves recognition and made an impact for his people?
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    It's one game a year and all those players that are wearing the number 42 made an individual choice to wear that number. They don't have to wear #42 if they do not want to. Today it is done; baseball is back to normal; I don't care for having to be PC all the time myself but I don't mind baseball 'celebrating' Jacque Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball once a year either. Just my opinion.

Bum
    Bum, they did require all players, all teams to wear it this year-it was an option in years past.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

I don't think anybody really pays attention to patches. Some do, but it would not make the same statement as the number on the back.

And no I wouldn't be surprised if school's left out Jackie Robinson from the curriculum. Besides, if someone is watching baseball they are probably a bigger fan of the game and may be interested in a more in depth look at the man.

Sometimes I do keep score at games, but they have announcements and scoreboards that give the names of the players on the field. I don't read their numbers and look up each player. Besides, don't they have the players normal numbers on the jersey front?

Baseball uniquely ties the history of the game to the present in a way unlike any other sport, IMO. This is another example of that. And I agree with bounty that recognizing other similar achievements would be welcome as well.

Ah...I did not know that. Thanks for correcting that. It should not be a requirement to wear #42 if one chooses not to...still, it's one day.

Turn Off Ads?