10 16.13%
  • decent bullpen arm

4 6.45%
  • average starting pitcher

19 30.65%
  • above average .. either in the pen or starting

21 33.87%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Homer ever going to be productive for the Reds?

Is Homer ever going to be productive for the Reds?

Granted, it's only two starts in AAA, but Homer has a 6.61 ERA, a 2.00 WHIP, and has only lasted 8 innings.

Clearly, Walt made the right call sending him to AAA and keeping Masset.

I'm just wondering the general opinion of the board.. Will the Reds ever get decent production out of him before he is dumped/traded? Maybe Walt will be able to get something for him in a trade.. but that is not what the poll is about.. I am asking whether Homer will give any positive contribution to the Reds before he is shown the door.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Homer ever going to be productive for the Reds?

I think Homer's career may follow an arc similar to that of Edwin Jackson. I don't think he ever pans out as a Red, but eventually will find success as a middle of the rotation guy or high leverage closer elsewhere in his mid 20's.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's really hard to predict what's going to happen to Homer. There is a humongous difference between his potential ceiling vs. his floor.

Personally, I don't think his value is worth much right now, but I'd really like to trade him for a good, young shortstop. The Reds have a surplus of pitching for once and really need to fill the void at the most important position on the field. A package of Homer and someone else should be enough to land the shortstop this team desperately needs.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    It's really hard to predict what's going to happen to Homer. There is a humongous difference between his potential ceiling vs. his floor.

Personally, I don't think his value is worth much right now, but I'd really like to trade him for a good, young shortstop. The Reds have a surplus of pitching for once and really need to fill the void at the most important position on the field. A package of Homer and someone else should be enough to land the shortstop this team desperately needs.
    I second that. However, I really don't think that there are many talented young shortstops that are available. I feel like teams are starting to value their shortstop and catching prospects as highly as their starting pitching prospects.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Homer's either going to be one heckuva closer or setup man, or we'll actually get a solid return for him when we trade him.

It's a good thing that I am not a weatherman because the wind shifts directions rapidly in Reds country.

I would have LOVED to have seen this same poll's results a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    It's a good thing that I am not a weatherman because the wind shifts directions rapidly in Reds country.

I would have LOVED to have seen this same poll's results a few weeks ago.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. After Homer's hot showing in ST there were a lot of comments about how glad people were he wasn't traded. Now after 2 poor starts in AAA it's back to washing him up before he hits his 23rd birthday.

I suspect that Homer will ultimately get it together and prove to be an average pitcher. Personally, given the Reds history of drafting and developing pitchers with any longevity in the ML's, average pitcher with a 10 year career or so would be fine with me. I understand he was a #1 pick, but we've only had two previous pitchers drafted who played 10 seasons, C.J. Nitkowski and Gary Nolan, and Nitkowski's was mostly with other clubs. Two others pitched nine, Don Gullett and Ron Robinson. So 10 years of Bailey as an average pitcher would equal our previous ability. BTW, I always say this, but it always surprises me how long a career Nolan had and that the played on both the 75 and 76 teams.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I think Homer might eventually put it together.
    I don't think he's going to do it here though. I voted for "Negative value", because I see the club calling him up at some point this year and him getting shelled.

At some point, between now and opening day 2010, I expect Homer to be sent packing for very little. It seems as though the Reds don't see him as a bullpen arm at all.

I think the only thing that keeps Homer on the Reds is if the Reds decide to trade Harang or Arroyo.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post

Package Homer and EdE to Milwaukee for Bill Hall and Mike Cameron

(just sayin')
    Never overlook the obvious

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/390851

No need to rush Homer. Be patient.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

The time to trade Homer was August 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Homer's either going to be one heckuva closer or setup man, or we'll actually get a solid return for him when we trade him.
    Who is going to provide this solid return for Homer? And why?

Homer Bailey has yet to turn 23.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Granted, it's only two starts in AAA, but Homer has a 6.61 ERA, a 2.00 WHIP, and has only lasted 8 innings.

Clearly, Walt made the right call sending him to AAA and keeping Masset.

I'm just wondering the general opinion of the board.. Will the Reds ever get decent production out of him before he is dumped/traded? Maybe Walt will be able to get something for him in a trade.. but that is not what the poll is about.. I am asking whether Homer will give any positive contribution to the Reds before he is shown the door.
    I'm not sure I agree with that. Sending him down after the results he was putting up in ST had to (it simply HAD to) shoot down his confidence. When a kid makes the strides he did this off season to right the ship and correct the things everybody said he needed to work on...you need to reward that work. Masset didn't show me much of anything in ST, but because we already signed 3 pitchers in the off season (Weathers, Lincoln & Rhodes) when we really only needed one (maybe 2) forced the Reds hand in having to choose between Masset & Bailey. If not for those signings...both could've stayed. Bailey certainly deserved to. We had several relievers who could've easily filled the rolls that Weathers/Lincoln/Rhodes are currently occupying.

I wouldn't be surprised if those first minor league outings are bouts of frustration and flat out anger. I know I would be pissed.

As for the original question...yes, he will be. Too much talent not to be productive. Now whether it's for the Reds or not...remains to be seen.

Turn Off Ads?