Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly starting at QB in 2009 for the Michigan Wolverines...

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Possibly starting at QB in 2009 for the Michigan Wolverines...

Greg Paulus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4073430

Former Duke basketball player Greg Paulus has been given an opportunity to join Michigan's football team and compete for the starting quarterback job this fall.

Paulus, a former All-American quarterback in high school, visited Michigan's final practice of the spring Tuesday in Ann Arbor. He did not throw or work out for Wolverines coaches.

"There has been an opportunity given there," Paulus said Thursday morning on a conference call with reporters. "I thought it was a really good visit. It was really helpful to get to be on a campus and meet with coach [Rich] Rodriguez and see the system and understand what types of opportunities are out there."

The four-year point guard is scheduled to graduate from Duke in June.

Since Paulus did not redshirt for the basketball team, he has one year of eligibility remaining in another sport. And since he will complete his degree in four years, he can go to graduate school elsewhere and compete immediately.

Paulus said he can play only for Football Bowl Subdivision teams, ruling out a move to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) member.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Paulus has received interest from several other college programs, including his hometown Syracuse Orange, but at this point he has no other visits scheduled. He recently worked out for the Green Bay Packers and is exploring possibilities with other pro teams.

Paulus is solely interested in playing quarterback and would enter Michigan's open competition under center if he chooses to join the Wolverines.

"The chance to compete for a starting job is important," Paulus said. "With me only having an opportunity to play for one year, the chance and the opportunity to compete at a high level is important. There is an opportunity to do that at Michigan."

True freshman Tate Forcier took most of the snaps this spring for the Wolverines and performed well. Last year's primary starter, Steven Threet, transferred from the program in February.

Junior Nick Sheridan, who started four games last year and broke his leg midway through the spring, will also compete for the job alongside another freshman, Denard Robinson.

Paulus was a former Gatorade high school football player of the year at Christian Brothers Academy, where he was a four-time all-state player, set six state passing records and was a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game. Christian Brothers was 42-3 during Paulus' time there, and he had 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdown passes in 45 games.

"The quarterback position is like being the point guard," Paulus said. "You get the ball every possession and every play. That's exciting to me."

Paulus is still gathering information about Michigan and other schools, as well as the possibility of working out for more NFL teams. If he chooses the college route, a school's graduate program will be a major factor in his decision.

"I just feel very fortunate and really appreciative of some of the opportunities given," Paulus said. "It's been a dream."

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com.
    I'm starting to think Rich Rodriguez may end up getting the Billy Gillispie treatment in Ann Arbor if he doesn't start producing after this year. If Greg Paulus ends up being the starting QB, something is really, really wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Possibly starting at QB in 2009 for the Michigan Wolverines...

The first time he gets touched he'll fly out of the stadium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The first time he gets touched he'll fly out of the stadium.
    Are you saying he's a flopper?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Are you saying he's a flopper?
    A flopper and a floor slapper.

Wonder if he'll slap the ground after--if--he throws for a first down?
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Cutcliffe wants him to play wr, but he can play qb at Michigan. Yikes!
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

So after being the PG at Duke, the QB at Michigan all he has to do is play CF for the Yankees and he will have completed the trifecta of evil.

I really don't care what's best for Michigan and now that he doesn't play for Duke anymore I don't care much about Paulus, but I have to say that for a guy who's probably not gifted enough to play either sport at the next level; 4 years playing basketball for Duke and a year playing QB for Michigan would be a hell of a way to spend five years of college.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    So after being the PG at Duke, the QB at Michigan all he has to do is play CF for the Yankees and he will have completed the trifecta of evil.
    Maybe QB of Michigan is part of the trifecta of evil for OSU fans, but I think nationwide he'd have had to play QB for Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If Jeff Gordon would let him run a race in the 24 car...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Wow. My how the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I really don't care what's best for Michigan and now that he doesn't play for Duke anymore I don't care much about Paulus, but I have to say that for a guy who's probably not gifted enough to play either sport at the next level; 4 years playing basketball for Duke and a year playing QB for Michigan would be a hell of a way to spend five years of college.
    Indeed. It's kind of cool that by the end of his college career he will have been a part of the greatest rivalry in both college football and college basketball. Not a bad college career, IMHO.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Not to mention earning a business degree from Duke and possibly a masters from Michigan.

I'd say he could have his pick of jobs when he graduates.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Not to mention earning a business degree from Duke and possibly a masters from Michigan.

As long as he doesn't pick a company in Ohio or Kentucky.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

Except NFL QB or NBA PG

Turn Off Ads?