Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Changes to Minor League Talk

  1. #1
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,063

    Changes to Minor League Talk

    All,

    In an effort to consolidate discussion about minor league players, effective immediately, each player will have a dedicated thread that should be used for discussion centering on that player. The reasoning behind this is simple: a new thread does not need to be started each time a prospect has a good or a bad game. Instead, all discussions about that player will be restricted to the official thread and by doing so, we reduce clutter and make it easier to find information about a player. Once an official thread is created, please do not create another one. Game updates and so forth can continue in their current format. These changes apply only to this forum. If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to reply.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    WOOOOO!!! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,366

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Great idea...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  4. #3
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,087

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    I'm guessing new "Official" threads will be created if a prospect on the fringe of the radar starts tearing things up? Seems unwieldy to me Boss.

    I didn't realize this forum got so much traffic that navigating and searching it became a problem, but then I'm not in the position to know. I hope it helps, just didn't realize there was a problem.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  5. #4
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,063

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm guessing new "Official" threads will be created if a prospect on the fringe of the radar starts tearing things up? Seems unwieldy to me Boss.

    I didn't realize this forum got so much traffic that navigating and searching it became a problem, but then I'm not in the position to know. I hope it helps, just didn't realize there was a problem.
    It doesn't have to be a player on the fringe - any Reds minor league is fair game.

    I wouldn't say it was a problem, but we think these changes will be best in the long run.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,317

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Excellent idea.

  7. #6
    Brett William Moore Will M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Crescent Springs KY
    Posts
    3,572

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    All,

    In an effort to consolidate discussion about minor league players, effective immediately, each player will have a dedicated thread that should be used for discussion centering on that player. The reasoning behind this is simple: a new thread does not need to be started each time a prospect has a good or a bad game. Instead, all discussions about that player will be restricted to the official thread and by doing so, we reduce clutter and make it easier to find information about a player. Once an official thread is created, please do not create another one. Game updates and so forth can continue in their current format. These changes apply only to this forum. If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to reply.
    i like it. ORG should be done the same way
    .

  8. #7
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    27,943

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    If that's the new plan I'll do it, but it seems kind of constricting and potentially frustrating.

    For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF." A single player thread may create a lot of miscommunication. Then again maybe it won't.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  9. #8
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    If the thread reaches 1000 posts does it get closed in favor of a new one?

  10. #9
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,063

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    If the thread reaches 1000 posts does it get closed in favor of a new one?
    Yes

  11. #10
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,063

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If that's the new plan I'll do it, but it seems kind of constricting and potentially frustrating.

    For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF." A single player thread may create a lot of miscommunication. Then again maybe it won't.
    Valid point, but this system is used successfully on other similarly sized sites, so we think it will work well here, too.

  12. #11
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Valid point, but this system is used successfully on other similarly sized sites, so we think it will work well here, too.
    Pardon me for piggybacking here, Boss, but if all the news of one player is going to be found in their official "thread", it will make it easier to cross reference.

    The big prospects, the Fraziers, Valaikas, and Baileys of the world will be page one material. It's the Phil Gentrys of the world that will be left out.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,289

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    I don't know if he's tearing things up, but James Avery pitched a good game tonight despite the loss. Can we create a player thread for him? Also, how will this new system affect the minor league updates?

  14. #13
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,182

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Do we really need 8,000 different player threads clogging up the forum? I vaguely remember someone trying this on their own in the past, and the vast majority of people hated it.

  15. #14
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,418

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    No, we don't need all the different player threads. We also don't need a dozen separate threads about the same player. It's a worth a shot. If it doesn't work out, we can move on.

  16. #15
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,560

    Re: Changes to Minor League Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If that's the new plan I'll do it, but it seems kind of constricting and potentially frustrating.

    For instance, "should Todd Frazier be promoted" is a very different topic that "should Todd Frazier play LF." A single player thread may create a lot of miscommunication. Then again maybe it won't.
    My thoughts exactly.

    The minor league forum is the best part of the board. Not sure it needed changing.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25