Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Chris Heisey underrated?

Is Chris Heisey underrated?

Please use this thread for any discussion relating to Chris Heisey.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Chris Heisey Thread

Q: Dave from Massachusetts asks:
    When will BA recognize Chris Heisey is a prospect? Hitting leadoff for AA Carolina .417/.563/.875, 2 2Bs, 3 HRs, 6 BB/2 K, 3 for 3 in steals He may be 24, but he's coming out of a small school, and he just seems to be getting better and better.

A: Jim Callis: Maybe before the season, when we ranked him No. 22 on our Reds list in the Prospect Handbook? Maybe going into 2008, if you want to include us listing him on the Reds depth chart in the Handbook two years ago?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/267981.html

That was my question.

Trenchant exchange with the hated Callis, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I do declare that I have been the driver of the Heisey bandwagon, and the seats are filling up fast.

I may not have been driving, but I have been sitting close to the front for over a year.

Re: Is Chris Heisey underrated?

I've never been on the bandwagon, but he has definitely piqued my interest with his play to start the season.

Unfortunately, however, I still see him as a 4th/5th OF in the bigs. If he can sustain this level of play over the next couple of months, I may start to reexamine his case.
    Go BLUE!!!

His numbers suggest that he could be a starting outfielder in MLB, but anyone who has seen him will tell you that he looks like a reserve outfielder. "He plays the game the right way," but unfortunately, he doesn't quite have enough talent to be counted on as an above-average player at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've never been on the bandwagon, but he has definitely piqued my interest with his play to start the season.

Unfortunately, however, I still see him as a 4th/5th OF in the bigs. If he can sustain this level of play over the next couple of months, I may start to reexamine his case.
    I kind of have the same expectations, but that's a perfectly fine way to get a cheap RH half of a platoon (pair him with Dickerson in CF). The team could save money on guys like Willy and make Stubbs, who has more trade value but realistically a similar projection, available in a deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I kind of have the same expectations, but that's a perfectly fine way to get a cheap RH half of a platoon (pair him with Dickerson in CF). The team could save money on guys like Willy and make Stubbs, who has more trade value but realistically a similar projection, available in a deal.
    I like it. Either way I'd like to see one of these three (Stubbs, Taveras, Heisey) platooning with Dickerson next year (probably in that order.)
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I like it. Either way I'd like to see one of these three (Stubbs, Taveras, Heisey) platooning with Dickerson next year (probably in that order.)
    Isn't Stubbs a lefty? That wouldn't make for a great platoon. Although I'm not 100% sure that his is a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty623 View Post
    Isn't Stubbs a lefty? That wouldn't make for a great platoon. Although I'm not 100% sure that his is a lefty.
    Stubbs hits RH.

Stubbs is right-handed.

edit: BRM wins.

Late-Round Gem

For a 17th-round pick from Messiah (Pa.) College, Chris Heisey has already exceeded expectations making it up to Double-A Carolina. Now it looks like the Reds’ 24-year-old center fielder might have a future in the big leagues in some capacity.

Yesterday Heisey did a little bit of everything, going 2-for-4 with a triple, a double, walk a stolen base and three runs scored, putting his season line at .326/.473/.674 through 13 games.

“He does a lot of things well,” Carolina manager David Bell said. “He’s a very well-rounded baseball player. He plays the game hard, plays to win and he does everything. He can run, he can hit, he has some power and he gets good jumps on the ball in the outfield.”

The six-foot, 200-pound center fielder doesn’t have a standout tool, but he gets the most out of his physical abilities with a good approach at the plate. Last year in high Class A Sarasota, Heisey had 57 walks and 69 strikeouts, batting .287/.381/.438 in 117 games before earning a promotion to Double-A late in the season for 19 games.

“You don’t really have to do much with a guy like that,” Bell said. “There’s no motivation involved—he has all that inside. He’s got that inner confidence and inner desire that you can’t teach.”

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...3589#more-3589

Late-Round Gem

For a 17th-round pick from Messiah (Pa.) College, Chris Heisey has already exceeded expectations making it up to Double-A Carolina. Now it looks like the Reds’ 24-year-old center fielder might have a future in the big leagues in some capacity.

Yesterday Heisey did a little bit of everything, going 2-for-4 with a triple, a double, walk a stolen base and three runs scored, putting his season line at .326/.473/.674 through 13 games.

“He does a lot of things well,” Carolina manager David Bell said. “He’s a very well-rounded baseball player. He plays the game hard, plays to win and he does everything. He can run, he can hit, he has some power and he gets good jumps on the ball in the outfield.”

The six-foot, 200-pound center fielder doesn’t have a standout tool, but he gets the most out of his physical abilities with a good approach at the plate. Last year in high Class A Sarasota, Heisey had 57 walks and 69 strikeouts, batting .287/.381/.438 in 117 games before earning a promotion to Double-A late in the season for 19 games.

“You don’t really have to do much with a guy like that,” Bell said. “There’s no motivation involved—he has all that inside. He’s got that inner confidence and inner desire that you can’t teach.”
    Yep. Finally goaded BA into admitting Heisey can play. Glad to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yep. Finally goaded BA into admitting Heisey can play. Glad to see it!
    A little buzz never hurts a prospect's value.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Heisey is now overrated

Turn Off Ads?