Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which player's bat will have the biggest impact in the major leagues?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Juan Francisco

23 31.08%
  • Drew Stubbs

13 17.57%
  • Chris Heisey

23 31.08%
  • None of them will make a significant impact on offense at the major league level

15 20.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best of the Bats

Best of the Bats

It is widely accepted that Yonder Alonso and Todd Frazier are the Reds best hitting prospects- at least out of those who are legal adults. However neither player is currently in AAA with the Louisville Bats.

With Francisco's recent promotion to Louisville, and Stubbs and Heisey already playing side by side there, which one of these guys are you most excited about? While Stubbs and Heisey play good D at a premium defensive position, Francisco plays questionable D at a corner spot. This poll asks you to ignore that for the time being. Each of these three draw both praise and questions about their ability to produce on offense: Francisco's plate discipline has been historically abysmal. Heisey failed to impress most before this season, and Stubbs has never shown the power he projected when he was taken with a Top Ten pick. Yet all three have "broken out" this year in some form and dazzled at times- Francisco with his power, Stubbs with his speed and ability to get on base, and Heisey with his all-around production, particularly in the first half of the season.

Taking all of this into account, which Bat's bat are you most excited about? Who will overcome their weaknesses and have the best offensive career in the major leagues?
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-18-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: Best of the Bats

I voted for "None of them will make a significant impact on offense at the major league level" because I think that the Reds must know something as it pertains to Stubbs and Heisey that has them down on those two and allows Taveras to play every day.

As for JF, I have never been a fan. The lackluster defense combined with very little patience at the plate doesn't bode well for him. His lack of defense may limit his offensive chances in the big leagues and will make it harder for him to top an OPS+ of 100. There is a laundry list of players whose only real asset was that they could hit a mistake pitch a mile. Not many of them have made "significant" impacts in the major leagues.

I guess this argument hinges on what 'Zoners term to be a significant impact on the major league roster. I would say putting up an OPS+ of over 100 for 5 seasons total or 3+ consecutive seasons would be fitting. I do not see Stubbs, Heisey or Francisco putting up those kind of offensive numbers.

Picked Stubbs because he can be a true lead off hitter, who can actually get on base.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I voted for Francisco. When I read the question, I didn't interpret it as "will any of these bats be an impact in MLB," instead focusing on which bat I believed would have the biggest impact in comparison with the other two.

Francisco is 22 years old and in AAA. Granted, he may fall flat on his face because of a lack of plate discipline and make me look like an idiot, but the guy has flat-out produced at every level with power at a young age. I have no current reason to think, given the proper time and adjustments at Louisville, that Francisco will not be more successful.

With Stubbs, I'm not saying that he can't be a quality major league outfielder. You can't teach speed and the gold glove-caliber defense that he could provide. He also has shown an ability to take a walk throughout his minor league career. If his raw power that occasionally shows up ever truly develops, we could be talking about an above average center fielder here. But considering that he is in his mid-twenties and that has not happened yet, I don't see his bat as being an "impact bat" for the Reds.

I do wonder if I am overlooking Heisey, though. He has been nothing but steady (and sometimes overlooked until this year) in his minor league career, putting up OPS's of .762, .791, .822, and (so far this year) .907. He has also shown the ability to take a walk. I might be overlooking him because of the lack of hype that he has received before this season, but Francisco's youth and power potential swayed me to vote for him.
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

I'm concerned about Stubbs. He can take a walk, run and field, so he will have major league value.

But his Ks are way too high for a guy with 3 home runs. He's fanned over 25 percent of his official at bats. Those are the kind of numbers you see from guys like Dunn, high K and high HR guys. Not from guys with three home runs.

And this is at AAA.

Jury is out on Heisey. He destroyed AA, let's see how he does at AAA. If he continues to dominate or if he reverts to earlier performance levels which were good, but not outstanding. So he's unclear to me.

I voted for Francisco who clearly has the most upside based on the info I've seen. Francisco also is the youngest and has been steadily getting better offensively.

But it will be several years before we know, they all can get better (or worse) as time continues and they mature. All are good prospects.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-18-2009 at 12:08 PM.

At the moment, I'd say Danny Dorn.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with 'None' for right now. They all have a chance, but they all have a ways to go before they can make, as you put it, 'a significant impact'. Stubbs needs the power to show up. Francisco needs more plate discipline. So does Heisey for that matter and he needs to also find a way to play in CF or his bat won't be enough of an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with 'None' for right now. They all have a chance, but they all have a ways to go before they can make, as you put it, 'a significant impact'. Stubbs needs the power to show up. Francisco needs more plate discipline. So does Heisey for that matter and he needs to also find a way to play in CF or his bat won't be enough of an impact.
    How about that! For once, we actually agree. Although if I HAD to choose one right now, it would probably be Heisey. That's interesting considering he was the one I was lowest on coming into the year.
    Go BLUE!!!

I chose Stubbs because I took impact to mean relative to our current level of performance. Stubbs will give us an OBP nearly 100 points higher than we're currently getting in CF.

Offensively, Heisey isn't an upgrade over Bruce or our LF platoon and I believe Fransisco will go the way of Wily Mo -- a 15 HR half season until pitchers figure him out and then he's done.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Heisey.

Stubbs has the plate discipline without enough power to make it matter.

Francisco has the power without enough plate discipline to get pitchers to pitch to him.

Heisey has the combination to make his skills complement each other.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stubbs unless Heisey can stick in CF :o

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Heisey.

Stubbs has the plate discipline without enough power to make it matter.

Francisco has the power without enough plate discipline to get pitchers to pitch to him.

Heisey has the combination to make his skills complement each other.
    x2. As long as he stays in CF, I think Heisey has the most likely chance of making an offensive impact. However, I fear that he'll be league average at best. Maybe he'll actually be the Mike Cameron clone everyone thought Stubbs would be.

I'm not sure Stubbs will ever put up an OPS much over .700 at the major league level.

And I agree with RMR's sentiments on Francisco. He'll show some serious power early, but as soon as pitchers figure him out he'll go the way of Wily Mo. Maybe Tony Batista if he's lucky. I wish they would've converted him to a catcher.

I would be shopping both Stubbs and Francisco HARD right now.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    At the moment, I'd say Danny Dorn.
    I'll 2nd this. I just can't understand why Dorn doesn't get more recognition, and more importantly, more of an opportunity. A platoon of Dorn (LH power bat) and Gomes (RH power bat), could be a 35 HR, 100 RBI for LF. And oh yeah, Dorn is probably at least a .270 Hitter.

Senor Votto

I think they're all destined for the outfield. With Bruce locking up left field and probably Stubbs in center. I'd have to say Fransisco

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I think they're all destined for the outfield. With Bruce locking up left field and probably Stubbs in center. I'd have to say Fransisco
    If anything, Jay Bruce has locked up RF
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?