Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Elusive Thumper

Elusive Thumper

It was so clear what the big need was this past off season. Even the GM mentioned it first and foremost at the season ticket luncheon I went to in September: right-handed thumper.

Look... I know BPhil and Bruce will come around. And I love how this young team has managed to scrape out a few wins that probably should have been losses. Those kind of wins could be the difference in September when a pennant race (hopefully) heats up.

But I still think this team DESPERATELY needs a true cleanup hitter. Get Brandon out of that role and watch him shine (again). Watch Votto get even better. Watch Bruce relax. Watch the team average jump up to mediocrity/respectability.

Trouble is, who now? Probably takes a perusal for the 2010 free agent list.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/1...lb-free-a.html

There's only one clear cut "winner" that I see. Mr. Matt Holliday.

What are the chances Oakland falls out of it by the deadline, and what would it take to get him? Obviously Billy B got him for the draft picks, so it will take something pretty good.

Worth it? Solve the problems?

Here's a recent article on Holliday's future in Oakland, speculating on that trade if the A's falter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...e=MLBHeadlines
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Elusive Thumper

If you look at that list, Holliday is in bold. That means he is a Scott Boras client. That means that he is two month rental. That means that the Reds better be seriously in contention if they trade for him, because it is worth it only if he helps them win a banner.

Not against it at all, just evaluating the situation.

The other two names I like on that list are Beltre and Bay.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I think it would be cheaper (prospect wise) to go after Dye around the deadline (which is assuming the Reds are in it and the Sox are not, which is a large assumption.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

The Reds won't be able to afford to overpay for Matt Holliday in 2010, given the financial burdens within our organization.

Big Contracts for 2009:
    Code:
    Aaron Harang		14,000,000
    Francisco Cordero	12,125,000
    Bronson Arroyo		10,125,000
    Ramon Hernandez	        8,500,000
    Alex Gonzalez		5,375,000
    Brandon Phillips	5,187,500
    While Gonzalez will be gone for 2010, we're still on the hook for Harang, Cordero, Arroyo, Phillips and I think Hernandez (he's got 1 left after 2009, right?). Let's not forget that our favorite CF doubles in price from 2009 to 2010, and Phillips will also increase in price.

So, even though we're losing the money wasted on Gonzalez, that money's most likely eaten up by the increase in price for Taveras and Phillips. Plus, isn't EE eligible for arbitration?

So, while I'd love to have Matt Holliday as a Red, we just don't have the financial resources to make it work.

Unless we get rid of Arroyo or Cordero or Hernandez, or all 3...

Here is my #4.. Joey Votto. All the Reds have to do is trade for Elija Dukes to be the #2 hitter and move EE to #3.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The Reds won't be able to afford to overpay for Matt Holliday in 2010, given the financial burdens within our organization.

Big Contracts for 2009:
    Code:
    Aaron Harang		14,000,000
    Alex Gonzalez		5,375,000
    While Gonzalez will be gone for 2010, we're still on the hook for Harang, Cordero, Arroyo, Phillips and I think Hernandez (he's got 1 left after 2009, right?). Let's not forget that our favorite CF doubles in price from 2009 to 2010, and Phillips will also increase in price.

So, even though we're losing the money wasted on Gonzalez, that money's most likely eaten up by the increase in price for Taveras and Phillips. Plus, isn't EE eligible for arbitration?

So, while I'd love to have Matt Holliday as a Red, we just don't have the financial resources to make it work.

Hernandez is an $8.5MM club option for 2010, with a $1MM buyout.

Note... I'm not talking about Holliday with the Reds in 2010.

I'm saying as a free agent-to-be, he is a decent target for a deadline trade.

I don't think the Reds can or should compete for his services on the open market.... even one as depressed as it could still be next winter.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

i think walt's (long-term reasonably priced) hope is that alonso will be that guy, probably starting next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

Big Contracts for 2009:
    Code:
    Aaron Harang		14,000,000
    Alex Gonzalez		5,375,000

Gonzo and Hernandez should be gone and the Reds could trade Arroyo prior to the beginning of next season. In all likelihood the Reds could have Harang, Cordero, Encarnacion (signed a two year deal this year), and Phillips contracts on the books and then arbitration eligible contracts to fill. A trade for Holiday would likely look similar to that of Sabathia last season. I also see Holiday getting close to what Texieria got this past off season with the Yankees so I doubt Jocketty will be able to work his magic.

Bay would be a solid but unspectacular player. He would fit nicely on this team but he isn't Holiday. I would stay away from Dye this year. You don't know if his body will begin to wear down and he can't DH to take a couple of days off.

Turn Off Ads?