Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can the Reds stay in contention with this offense?

Can the Reds stay in contention with this offense?

I dont think there is any way the Reds can stay in contention with this offense. The most hits they have had in a game so far is 7. Thats it 7. This offense is terrible. They need to add a big bat and another run producer before they can even think about making a run at the post season. I hope with everything in me that Im wrong but I just dont see it. I think they will stick around for the first month to month and a half. But after that this team will fall off big time. What say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can the Reds stay in contention with this offense?

Negative, they shoulda signed Burrell if that is all he was asking for. The defense is no better than it was before either. Has Hernandez thrown out someone trying to steal yet?
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

They definitely need a big bat. They preached speed and defense, well I'm still waiting. We've seen glimpses of great D, but we've also see absolutely terrible play in the field in the early part of the season. People need to start hitting, or we need to bring in a solid power hitter. Votto can only carry us so far unless he gets some protection in the lineup.
    I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball. -- Pete Rose

2009 Record while in attendance: Terrible

Why the Reds didn't pull the trigger and sign Abreu for cheap is beyond me.

As I stated in another thread like this, give it 6 weeks then evaluate. We are just ending week two.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Watched the 2012 Clincher on FOX.
    Proud owner of a 1990 Dodge Class B Motorhome: A chick magnet!
    GO STEELERS
    www.tracyjonesonline.com
    Great YOUTUBE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    As I stated in another thread like this, give it 6 weeks then evaluate. We are just ending week two.
    You can't win a division in April but you certainly can lose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    You can't win a division in April but you certainly can lose it.
    I'd venture a 5-5 record doesn't put the Reds out of contention just yet.

I think most rational Reds fans realized that this club was short on offense going into the season and they've done very little to disprove that feeling. That being said I think this club is probably better offensively than they've shown thus far. Bruce is far too talented to continue to struggle so mightily and the same can be said about Phillips and to a lesser extent about Hernandez.

The real question mark in my mind is Alex Gonzalez, but I'm willing to give him a bit more time before jumping to any conclusions.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

The pitching is not as good as everyone thought it would be. The offense unfortunately is living up to expectations.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    The pitching is not as good as everyone thought it would be. The offense unfortunately is living up to expectations.
    I really feel for the staff, they have to be almost absolutely perfect or else. We could very easily be looking at 2-8 if not for 2 swings in previous games (where they were the ONLY offense). Its a lot to put on the shoulders of Edison, Johnny, Aaron, Bronson, Micah, and any other SP we use that in a lot of games they have to give up no more than 2 runs for us to have a chance. Cant forget that Cueto, Volquez, Burton, etc are all really young so they arent going to be able to as easily go out there when they dont have "it" on a given night and make it work like we've seen Arroyo and Harang make it work over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

My thought..... we might be two bats away from being a legitimate offense. Not one.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

We must produce more offense to compete. It would be miraculous if this lineup can do it.

Harang's run support in his 2 losses? ZERO runs.

Tonight, he didn't have it, but he still kept us in the game until the seventh. Then Burton came in and fanned the flames.

We clearly don't have the bats to compete. We haven't had a game, yet, where we've had 10 or more hits. We are dead last in majors in batting average and 3rd from the bottom in slugging, runs scored, and OPS. Our OBP is a little higher, thankfully, due to the team being 11th in walks. If it wasn't for that, no way we are .500.

If things stayed the same, the pitching staff would have to be insanely amazing and keep opposing teams' scoring down to 1, 2, or 3 runs every night. It's just to much to put on the staff.

I think this team has potential and has some fighters on it, but, a couple more of these bad losses will put that to the test. The bottom of the order has been atrocious. You can carry 1 or maybe 2 stiffs in the order, but not as many as we have.

However, I do see a lot of determination in this bunch. If the team can somehow hang in there in April and May with the walks, timely hitting, and good pitching, maybe Jockety will pull the trigger on some deals to get:

A: A shortstop - The writing is on the wall with AGon. He's absolutely killing the lineup every time at the plate. Even with avg defense for a SS, it's not even remotely worth it. His replacements are hardly better; a guy who can't hit, but might field and a guy who can marginally hit, but can't field. The replacements in the minors are OK, but more suited for 2B, imo.

B: A power hitting OF - Who did we have starting today? Laynce Nix. What did he do? strikeout 3 times. For those of you who wondered why he hasn't started, you have your answer. Other than him, we have Willy T. (who, in all fairness, has been doing a good job at getting on), Jay Bruce (who's struggling, but will be OK), the Chris Dickerson/ Jerry Hairston platoon, and Darnell McDonald. None of those guys, save Bruce (potentially), are big run producers. We need someone to drive 'em in.

This teams' only shot is to somehow keep scraping some wins together, keeping around .500 and forcing the Walt and Co. to do something.
    Last edited by JBChance; 04-19-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

We Need Miguel Cabrera, but detroit wont trade him, the only bat available might be Ordonez, and he would help, also i wouldnt mind trading Bailey for a shortstop, we need a shortstop who could hit Maybe J.J. Hardy, Bailey + Frazier + Valaika for Hardy, the Stubbs + Thomson + Roenicke for Ordonez and we got a good offense

Taveras
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ordonez
    JJ Hardy
    Jay Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Hernandez

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    We Need Miguel Cabrera, but detroit wont trade him, the only bat available might be Ordonez, and he would help, also i wouldnt mind trading Bailey for a shortstop, we need a shortstop who could hit Maybe J.J. Hardy, Bailey + Frazier + Valaika for Hardy, the Stubbs + Thomson + Roenicke for Ordonez and we got a good offense

Taveras
    Phillips
    Votto
    Ordonez
    JJ Hardy
    Jay Bruce
    Encarnacion
    Hernandez
    Who is going to pay the salaries of these players? Big Bob is not going to raise payroll.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

every team in baseball needs miguel cabrera
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    Negative, they shoulda signed Burrell if that is all he was asking for. The defense is no better than it was before either. Has Hernandez thrown out someone trying to steal yet?
    Yes, Hernandez has - and made several nice tags at the plate. Nobody was excited about Hernandez's defense as much they were his offense coming into the season. I disagree that the defense is not better than last year. Certainly Hernandez has nothing to do with it even if you do think this for some reason.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Turn Off Ads?