Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More details from Pitino extortion case

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

More details from Pitino extortion case

WillyMo touched on this in the UK thread, but since it's not really UK related, it probably deserves its own thread.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...RTS02/90418010

University of Louisville men’s basketball coach Rick Pitino says that he is the target of an extortion attempt and that he has asked the FBI to investigate.

The coach released a statement through the university tonight after being contacted by The Courier-Journal yesterday afternoon.

Pitino gave no specifics on the actions he claims are being taken against him, but said in the statement, “I intend to vigorously defend my reputation and the character of my family against any criminal scheme to extort money.”

Louisville attorney Thomas Clay later called the newspaper and said he represents the woman who is under FBI investigation.

He declined to provide details of her claims or to identify her, but when told that WDRB 41 had named her as Karen Sypher, the wife of U of L basketball equipment manager Tim Sypher, he said he did not “take issue” with that.

“There is a federal investigation going on, and there may be criminal charges placed against her as a result of what coach Pitino has brought to the attention of the FBI,” Clay said. “. . . There are no counter allegations, and as far as I am concerned this criminal investigation is going to proceed to a logical conclusion and I hope that we can put this matter behind us as quickly as possible.”

Clay said his client has been interviewed by the FBI, but declined to offer more specifics.

FBI spokesman David Beyer confirmed that Pitino told the agency last month that he “was the victim of an apparent extortion and we have an ongoing investigation into the matter.”

Beyer said he could not provide further details.

Pitino’s remarks were accompanied by statements of support from U of L President Jim Ramsey and athletic director Tom Jurich.

“My family and I were recently threatened as part of a criminal scheme to extort money,” Pitino said in the release distributed by the UofL sports information department. “Upon receiving these threats, we reported this extortion attempt to the FBI.

“While I did not want to make this matter public, I recently learned that the individual behind this extortion attempt has already gone to the media with false, defamatory and outrageous allegations in an attempt to pressure me to cave in to this scheme.”

Pitino did not name the individual he is accusing of extortion, which is a federal offense and is defined as an attempt by an individual or group to obtain money or other property or services through coercion.

Both Ramsey and Jurich said in separate statements that they support Pitino and his going to the FBI.

“The University of Louisville supports Coach Pitino and his family,” Ramsey said. “We stand by his decision to report this matter to the authorities and will now leave this criminal investigation in the hands of the FBI.”

The university release said Pitino, Ramsey and Jurich would have no further comment. None of the three responded to phone messages seeking comment tonight.

Pitino’s statement referred questions to his attorney, Steve Pence, the former lieutenant governor of Kentucky. Pence did not return a phone message to his office tonight.

Courier-Journal reporter R.G. Dunlop contributed to this story.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More details from Pitino extortion case

here's her photo.

Stifler's mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

There's also lots of talk fluttering around about point shaving...

also: the reason being speculated as to why Little Pitino left Little Brother is that he's disgusted by what his dad is doing to his mom...
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    There's also lots of talk fluttering around about point shaving...

also: the reason being speculated as to why Little Pitino left Little Brother is that he's disgusted by what his dad is doing to his mom...
    Come on. Don't you think some of these rumors are ridiculous? Why would Pitino bring in the FBI if this was true? Now that the feds are involved the spotlight will be on the issue and everyone will know the truth one way or the other.

Also, it seems much more likely that Richard left for Florida so that he can get out of this father's shadow (the players called him Little Ricky) and make a name for himself under a family friend who has had several assistants move on to head coaching roles.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Come on. Don't you think some of these rumors are ridiculous? Why would Pitino bring in the FBI if this was true? Now that the feds are involved the spotlight will be on the issue and everyone will know the truth one way or the other.

Also, it seems much more likely that Richard left for Florida so that he can get out of this father's shadow (the players called him Little Ricky) and make a name for himself under a family friend who has had several assistants move on to head coaching roles.
    Some people just can't resist the urge to take swipes at Pitino, they miss him at UK, and the success he had. Hopefully Calipari can bring some level of consistency and success back to UK so they can concentrate on their own program, rather than focus on programs they aspire to be as good as again one day.

It is still considered extortion if the allegations are true. IMO this rumor has some legs to it which explains why he would just go ahead and call the FBI. If the allegations are false, why not address the rumor and refute it. If it's true, it is going to come out most likely. Why not get them charged with a felony for what they are doing?

EDIT

ps I'm a UK fan but absolutely love Pitino... never resented him for going to UL

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    It is still considered extortion if the allegations are true. IMO this rumor has some legs to it which explains why he would just go ahead and call the FBI. If the allegations are false, why not address the rumor and refute it. If it's true, it is going to come out most likely. Why not get them charged with a felony for what they are doing?

EDIT

ps I'm a UK fan but absolutely love Pitino... never resented him for going to UL
    The woman's soon to be ex-husband even says they are bizarre:

This morning, U of L equipment manager Tim Sypher, whose wife, Karen, has been identified as the person making allegations against -- and allegedly trying to extort -- U of L basketball coach Rick Pitino, issued this statement through the university's sports information office.

"I am devastated by the bizarre allegations that my estranged wife is making against both Coach Pitino and myself. At this point, my primary concern is for my young daughter and four stepsons, both to the impact of their mother's actions on them, as well as the impact on Coach's family and the University. I love my children, and want to protect them. At the same time, I intend to defend the allegations vigorously and will have no additional comment at this time. "

Interesting comments.

Maybe he found out about the FBI before that comment

here's her photo.

Stifler's mom
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The point shaving I think is a little extreme.

Bringing in the FBI has a lot of question marks surrounding it. If it was somebody making a threat toward his family physically, I could see the details being released rather quickly. The fact that there is a gag order basically going through the media makes a lot of people wonder what is really going on.

I would have believed what you said about Richard leaving for Florida, and I still do to an extent. But you have to admit things do seem kinda fishy when:

1.Richard leaves for Florida.
    2.Pitino is mentioned for some NBA openings.
    3.The FBI story is leaked Saturday night.

Again, I've always been a Pitino fan even when he took the Louisville job. He is still one of my favorite coaches for what he did while at UK, so I don't have an axe to grind and I am definitely not sitting back laughing at this.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Some people just can't resist the urge to take swipes at Pitino, they miss him at UK, and the success he had. Hopefully Calipari can bring some level of consistency and success back to UK so they can concentrate on their own program, rather than focus on programs they aspire to be as good as again one day.
    I assume this was directed at me.

All I did was post what has been going around the UL and UK boards like wildfire. I could've taken some swipes against Pitino or UL in this thread and I HAVEN'T.

When was UL's last national championship? That's the level of success we aspire to at Kentucky, so I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back too much. I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.

I think the point shaving stuff is ridiculous, yes.

The other stuff... I dunno.

I've read that the FBI was already involved in an investigation concerning UL and that the FBI wouldn't immediately be called in in an instance such as this...

I'm not going to make any sort of predictions or prognostications... it will all come out eventually now. Probably.

Supposedly one of the Louisville news stations has an interview with Sypher's wife that they are sitting on.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.

I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.
    That's still one more than UK in the last 11 years. Now, was all that necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    That's still one more than UK in the last 11 years. Now, was all that necessary?
    Ask Hebron Cougar. I didn't personally say ANYTHING negative about UL or Rick. Just 'reported' on what is being talked about across the bluegrass and across the internet.

I assume this was directed at me.

All I did was post what has been going around the UL and UK boards like wildfire. I could've taken some swipes against Pitino or UL in this thread and I HAVEN'T.

When was UL's last national championship? That's the level of success we aspire to at Kentucky, so I wouldn't go patting yourself on the back too much. I understand that one Final Four under Rick's watch is pretty heady stuff after those last several years of Crum.
    I didn't direct it at anyone in particular other than rabid UK fans that hate on Pitino since he left the program. I didn't quote you, and it wasn't directed at you. I used to be a huge UK fan, until I saw the ignorance of the majority of the fan base after Pitino left. I still like UK, but to hang out on message boards where all they do is bash on Pitino, and anything they can dig up on him is pretty childish IMO.
    Last edited by hebroncougar; 04-19-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?