Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Austin Kearns

Austin Kearns

Today I was thinking about the grievance the Reds filed against the Nationals. Was that ever settled?

And, anyway, I was just wondering if the Nationals offered Kearns back to the Reds as a settlement while eating some money, would you take him? His contract looks bad, but he had a good spring, and while not setting the world on fire, he does have 9 RBI's and a couple of HR's so far this year.

If he has even a 2006 caliber year for Cincy he would be a huge blessing in the 4 hole. Washington is eager to get rid of his contract. So lets say Washington eats about 6 million in contract as part of the settlement, do you take him back without giving up anyone, or is his value so low that even with Washington eating some money you don't take him?

He was horrible last year, here were his numbers from 06 and 07:

06: Avg. .264, OBP .363, HR 24, 33 doubles 86 Runs and RBI's
    07: Avg. .266, OBP .355, HR 16, 35 doubles, 84 Runs

I would take a chance on him as long as Washington was willing to eat some of the money.
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 04-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Austin Kearns

He's been driving in runners so far.... looks like he's going to put up 20 and 80 if he stays healthy.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

We have moved on, no thanks on Kearns, I would rather have them bring back Eric Davis.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    He's been driving in runners so far.... looks like he's going to put up 20 and 80 if he stays healthy.
    Not a chance unless that .788 OPS goes up some. And even if it doesn't, and he somehow drives in 80 "counting stats" are over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Not a chance unless that .788 OPS goes up some. And even if it doesn't, and he somehow drives in 80 "counting stats" are over-rated.
    whats he hitting? .214?

He'll hit .250-.260 and draw a few more walks.

20 HR and 80 RBI are nothing special, but its what has come to be perceived as the ceiling for Kearns; and.... probably better then anyone in our outfield will do. I'll also add that I wouldn't give up a sack of nickels to bring him back.

No thanks. Citing an over-used, stale catch-phrase, "Been there done that". He was a whiner, still is I'd bet. Good way to poison a Clubhouse full of young, up-and-coming players........

Stat geek...and proud

He just ain't been the same since Ray King.

Well I am a big Kearns fan but I don't think we need him now...we have a pretty solid group of outfielders, Kearns just don't hit the ball as well as we all thought he would, he has pop in his bat but he just don't string many hits together.

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    No thanks. Citing an over-used, stale catch-phrase, "Been there done that". He was a whiner, still is I'd bet. Good way to poison a Clubhouse full of young, up-and-coming players........
    Was he a whiner? What incident are you citing?

Old Red Guard Reject

Why not his teammate Josh Willingham?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Not a bit of interest in that one, but will sell ya a signed Kearns jersey or bat if anyone is interested
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

No thanks, I thought we had Jay Bruce in right. Why would anyone in their right mind want Kearns, Dunn, Griffey or WIlly Mo back. Let's move on with these young guys and see what they can do .

After his rookie year.....it was over for him.

Turn Off Ads?