Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ryan Freel Hit in the Head by Pickoff Throw

Ryan Freel Hit in the Head by Pickoff Throw

This just happened at Fenway. Freel was on 2B, Justin Masterson's throw over was low and Freel dove back head first and it looked like the ball got him on the back of his head. He had to be helped off the field.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Freel Hit in the Head by Pickoff Throw

fortunately, Freel rarely uses his head....

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Yikes! Poor guy.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Given the severe concussion Freel had in 2007, could an injury like this be the end of the line for him? A head injury is always serious, but I'd think Freel is more at risk than most.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Given the severe concussion Freel had in 2007, could an injury like this be the end of the line for him? A head injury is always serious, but I'd think Freel is more at risk than most.
    I was just thinking the same thing. How sad that this one wasn't even his fault since the pitcher is the one who threw the ball that direction. Usually his injuries are from him trying to make some spectacular play of some sort and this was just him being on second base. Any news on how he's doing?
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 04-20-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Freel was on second, not first base when he got hit
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I'm surprised he still wasn't picked off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

May have been better for him if he had been picked off.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing. How sad that this one wasn't even his fault since the pitcher is the one who threw the ball that direction. Usually his injuries are from him trying to make some spectacular play of some sort and this was just him being on first base. Any news on how he's doing?
    I don't know if you've seen it, and I'm really not trying to be funny, but he was at 2B, and it was just like Masterson accidentally threw a sinker instead of just throwing, if you see what I mean. And I haven't heard anything yet.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I don't know if you've seen it, and I'm really not trying to be funny, but he was at 2B, and it was just like Masterson accidentally threw a sinker instead of just throwing, if you see what I mean. And I haven't heard anything yet.
    I hadn't seen it yet and I just read at mlb.com that he was actually on second base so I edited my post. That sounds even more scary and I really hope he's all right.

Freel leaves with injury in third inning
    Infielder apparently hit in back of head on pickoff play

04/20/09 12:24 PM ET

BOSTON -- The Orioles saw their short bench get even shorter on Monday when Ryan Freel got involved in an unfortunate play on the basepaths. Freel, who was on second after a single and a groundout, got hit in the helmet by an errant pickoff throw from Justin Masterson and lay face-down on the field for several minutes.

Freel didn't move much during the delay and was tended to by head athletic trainer Richie Bancells and assistant athletic trainer Brian Ebel. Freel, who started the game at third base for the first time all season, took a few minutes to gather himself and wound up getting helped off the field by Ebel and Bancells.

Freel was responsive in the dugout, but the Orioles still sent him to a nearby hospital for further testing.

Baltimore replaced him with Robert Andino, who had played only one inning at third base in the big leagues prior to Freel's injury. The Orioles were already playing a man short due to a right hamstring injury for Adam Jones, and after Freel left the game, the road team was left with one healthy player -- catcher Chad Moeller -- on the bench.

Baltimore manager Dave Trembley addressed his short bench before the game and said he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice the designated hitter if the situation called for it. And he could have done that early on Monday by playing designated hitter Aubrey Huff at first base and shifting Ty Wigginton over to third.

"I think you do what you have to do to try and win the game," Trembley had said. "When you have a short bench for whatever reason, whether it be a roster reason or somebody left the game early because they fouled a ball off their foot and they can't play or an injury, you do what you have to do in order to win the game."

Spencer Fordin is a reporter for MLB.com
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I really hope Ryan is okay but I have to ask:

Is the baseball okay? It's tough to strike a surface that hard and stay in the game...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm glad Ryan's okay, but nobody's said a word yet...is Farney okay too?

Turn Off Ads?