Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This organization sorely needs some switch-hitting prospects.

This organization sorely needs some switch-hitting prospects.

There isn't anyone other than Jose Castro, and he's not a prospect, that switch-hits in the organization.

I'd love to see us trade some of our excess prospects from overloaded positions (outfield and 3rd Base and 1st Base) for some switch-hit prospects.

I just love the flexibility that one or two switch-hitters give you (if they're half-way decent from both sides) at the Major League level.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This organization sorely needs some switch-hitting prospects.

Drew Sutton switch hits. He was the guy we got in the Keppinger trade.

I was just thinking about this last night, but only came up with two or three really good switch-hitting prospects in the entire game. Most young guys, it seems, hit one way or the other and don't bother to learn how to switch-hit.

Can you come up with more than three?
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    There isn't anyone other than Jose Castro, and he's not a prospect, that switch-hits in the organization.

I'd love to see us trade some of our excess prospects from overloaded positions (outfield and 3rd Base and 1st Base) for some switch-hit prospects.

I just love the flexibility that one or two switch-hitters give you (if they're half-way decent from both sides) at the Major League level.
    Wilkin Castillo?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Don't forget about Mauricio Pimentel (a real sleeper). He's a middle infielder in the lower minors with excellent plate discipline. If he ever manages to slug around .400, which isn't unrealistic, he could be a legitimate prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Drew Sutton switch hits. He was the guy we got in the Keppinger trade.
    Well, whadda-ya-know? Ask and thee shall receive.

I guess great minds think alike.

I really like that Jockety fella.

Maybe we can get another one in a trade; and, get another one with one of our picks in the 1st 4 rounds in two months.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Wilkin Castillo?

As soon as I posted it, I remembered Castillo, but instead of correcting it, I just thought I'd wait for someone to correct me. Way to be atuned to the minor league players, mth.

Players like Castillo and Sutton are exactly what I'm talking about. They are both potential starters. Whether that means that they are starters for only 1 year of for 3-5 years, they are still potential starters.

If Castillo is starting on a MLB club boy you got problems.

baseball history question regarding this, was switch hitting more prevelant in the past? People like Mantle or Eddie Murray were switch hitters of the past, now it seems that you don't see them as often, and when they are, they're typically speed guys (could be wrong on both counts, I just can't think of any power hitting switchies outside of Berkman and Beltran, though I'm sure there's a few more)

I'm thinking a guy like Dunn (who's right handed) was convinced to try hitting from the left side, saw so many more RHs than LHs growing up, so he started to get more comfortable hitting from the left side, it was probably "cooler" at first since not that many are athletic enough to do it well, then someone convinced him he'd be better off hitting from the left side all the time, so he could concentrate on that fully, rather than getting lost trying to hit from both sides.

In a way, it makes sense, especially for a RH that shows some promise from the left handed side early on. Are there any left handed switch hitters?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    baseball history question regarding this, was switch hitting more prevelant in the past? People like Mantle or Eddie Murray were switch hitters of the past, now it seems that you don't see them as often, and when they are, they're typically speed guys (could be wrong on both counts, I just can't think of any power hitting switchies outside of Berkman and Beltran, though I'm sure there's a few more)

I'm thinking a guy like Dunn (who's right handed) was convinced to try hitting from the left side, saw so many more RHs than LHs growing up, so he started to get more comfortable hitting from the left side, it was probably "cooler" at first since not that many are athletic enough to do it well, then someone convinced him he'd be better off hitting from the left side all the time, so he could concentrate on that fully, rather than getting lost trying to hit from both sides.

In a way, it makes sense, especially for a RH that shows some promise from the left handed side early on. Are there any left handed switch hitters?
    Interesting question. I looked it up on BR and there were only 161 players listed as "Throws L/Switch Hitter."

Here are the top 20, sorted by HR:

Code:
    Spanning Multiple Seasons or entire Careers, 
    From 1901 to 2009, 
    Switch-hitter, 
    Throws LH, 
    sorted by greatest HR

Cnt Player             HR From  To
    +----+-----------------+---+----+----+

1 Lance Berkman     290 1999 2009 
        2 David Segui       139 1990 2004 
        3 Ripper Collins    135 1931 1941 
        4 Nick Swisher      108 2004 2009 
        5 Mitch Webster      70 1983 1995 
        6 Wes Parker         64 1964 1972 
        7 Lu Blue            44 1921 1933 
        8 Dave Collins       32 1975 1990 
        9 Bob Bescher        28 1908 1918 
       10 Melky Cabrera      25 2005 2009 
       11 Walter Holke       24 1914 1925 
       12 Ron Roenicke       17 1981 1988 
       13 John Cangelosi     12 1985 1999 
       14 John Moses         11 1982 1992 
       15 Jack Daugherty     10 1987 1993 
       16 Daniel Ortmeier     6 2005 2008 
       17 Morgan Burkhart     5 2000 2003 
       18 Doug Dascenzo       5 1988 1996 
       19 Eric Fox            5 1992 1995 
       20 Garland Buckeye     5 1918 1928
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Why do we "need" a SH prospect?

BTW, I'd settle for "better hitters" regardless of handedness.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Yeah, another Pete sure would be nice right now. truth is there aren't too many guys that can do this without noticably performing from one side or the other. Syzmanski was supposed to be a switch-hit phenom, never got going consistently, and his last season in Profesional Ball gave up on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Why do we "need" a SH prospect?
    Because you've got these infernal managers (Dusty and his predecessors) who think you have to go L-R-L-R-L-R regardless of talent and skillset.

A SH would give these managers the flexibility they are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    BTW, I'd settle for "better hitters" regardless of handedness.
    Agreed. If said "better hitter" happens to switch-hit, great. But it's not a necessity IMO.

Turn Off Ads?