Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthropology of Reds Fans - which one(s) are you? (from the ORG)

Anthropology of Reds Fans - which one(s) are you? (from the ORG)

Stolen - ERRRRR, Borrowed from BCubb2003::

We often debate the quality of Reds fans in other threads, so I wanted to see if we could break it down more thoroughly. My hunch is that we have the same kinds of fans as other teams. The proportion might change depending on the team's performance and how the organization is run. This list isn't meant to be judgmental, just an acceptance that it takes all kinds. There's probably some overlap, and I place myself in some of these categories.

Drunken louts: We'd like to think that Reds fans are blessed with Midwestern neighborliness, but we know the stories of the treatment of Danny Graves and even Mike Cameron. The brainless, drunken golf-ball-throwing (who brings a golf ball to a baseball game?) troll probably isn't a Reds fan, or a fan at all, but he's there.

Star bashers: The best players get the most grief, egged on by columnists and talk show hosts. It's not unique to Reds fans. I remember stories of how fans and sportswriters used to get on Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Joe DiMaggio. Ted Williams.

Scrappy-Siders: Cincinnati does have its own take on the blue-collar, makes-the-most-out-of-what-he-has dirty uniform, considering it's the birthplace of the Scrap King.

The Crosleys: They remember Crosley Field, and know who the catcher was before Johnny Bench. They can't forget the day Frank Robinson was traded.

Machine Age: They wonder why they can't have a lineup like that again, even though it would cost a brazilian dollars. That's when Reds Country stretched from west of Indianapolis, north of Columbus, east of Wheeling and south of Knoxville.

The Marge-ins: They remember Eric Davis's magical beginnings and Barry Larkin's reinvention of the shortstop position, but forget that Davis "couldn't stay in the lineup" and was too close to Parker and Milner, and Larkin was too mouthy and tore the captain's C off his uniform. Also, they forget when the outfield was Young, Frank and Styne.

The 8-year-olds: They've never seen a winning season. Hang in there, kids.

SABR-Heads: Opposite of the Scrappy-Siders, they could change the game if they could distill all that math into something as simple as "You can't steal first."

The Casuals: Might have gone to Olive Garden, but the Reds were in town and somebody had tickets. Which one is Larkin?

Banana Phoners: A primitive constituency we assume to be limited to Reds fans only because we don't listen to rain delays from Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Kansas City. Also known as "mom 'n' em."

and, added from "westofyou":

"Just Passing Thru" - These would be the Reds fans that lucked into the Reds in some way but who also were located in another city with other teams for most of their lives. These fans cling to their moment that got them to be a Reds fan, but constant observations of other teams and their fans close hand has colored their relationship with the team, mostly because it's not the town team, the pulse, the only game in town.

"""

Which one(s) are you guys?

I'll post mine later.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Anthropology of Reds Fans - which one(s) are you? (from the ORG)

A "Marge-in" I guess.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

I'm a Machine-Age.
    Who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    A "Marge-in" I guess.
    Me too.

This really could be broken down so many more way but I wouldn't want to offend anyone.Myself included.

I see parts of me in "Scrappy siders", "Crosleys" and "Machine-age".

Marge In for me too. Eric Davis and Spuds lured me into baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Born in the Machine Age, Raised a MArge IN, and also in despair of no winning season...and yes I am always wondering when we will have another BRM lineup!

I also have that mentality that all competition needs to be thoroughly destroyed, can't remember right now what type of fan it is called when you want you team to have god like powers and crush the opposing team, really run up the score, beat them into submission, and instill intimidating fear throughout MLB! The other night on PS2 I put 16 runs on the board and I refused to pinch hit for anyone! I like subjecting my opponents to an agonizing defeat, or like MArty says, a good ole' fashion buttwhoopin!

"Just Passin-Thru", and for the last several years there the recipe's gave me diarrhea, so it was literally passin-thru.

Actually, I've loved almost everything since the banana-dictator got out of the baseball business.

Well I was in elementary school in Cincinnati during the 70's - so Machine-Age raised.

Junior High was during the early 80's - wow that was horrendous.

Moved away for high school, but still followed; the horrendous mid-80's gave way to Pete Rose and Marge Schott, so was rejuvenated during the Marge-ins, and the 1990's WS win.

Moved back to Cincy for a couple years, and saw the last glimpse of a playoff team in 1995 and then again in 1999. Thought the acquisition of KGJ would turn it around.

Since then, I've moved away and am now, after 10 years of horrid FO's, management, and now finding myself fighting the urge to become a "Just Passin' Through".

However, I know that will never happen. I'll always be a Reds fan, but I feel like I may be destined to being relegated to a Cubs/RedSox miserable fandom existance - before they were good, they were horrible for 100 years - always thinking of "what could be" and "wait until next year" until the day I die....

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I'll always be a Reds fan, but I feel like I may be destined to being relegated to a Cubs/RedSox miserable fandom existance - before they were good, they were horrible for 100 years - always thinking of "what could be" and "wait until next year" until the day I die....

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    That is honestly the most depressing thing I have ever herd.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    That is honestly the most depressing thing I have ever herd.
    I know right? Seriously though, have you seen anything in the last decade that says it's going to change?

If you were in "the 8 year olds" you wouldn't know anything different.

Some Cleveland Browns fans never knew that their team used to win NFL Championships, they only know they have sucked for the last couple decades...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Big family in Cincy, my grandmother gave me a newspaper front page with the 1940 World Champion Reds. I was the little kid at games with the BRM. For a while Dave Parker was my favorite Red. then Eric Davis and Barry Larkin. I've got quite a few reds baseball cards and autos. With the Reds it's all about history. I haven't followed the Reds as much during the Griffey-Dunn years. But the new team is more interesting.

Like many, I'm part of the Machine-Age raised, Marge-in crowd.

I remember sitting with my Dad, watching the Reds and thinking that George Foster was a God. I don't know why I identified so heavily with him, but I did.

The 80's were terrible, but I always remained a fan and frequented Riverfront quite a bit with the family. I think it was easier then for me to be a fan because when you're young, everything seems possible and I thought, every year, that they could win the World Series. I lived just north of Dayton and my sister went to UC, so I'd go down and stay with her and go to some games.

Then, Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Marge, and Schottzie came along. '90 was the pinnacle for me with the 1999/ 2000 offseason being the second; I remember the day I heard that KGJ was becoming a Red - for the longest time, I had a picture of his first HR, as a Red, as my desktop at work and at home.

I became more disappointed with the team as time (and Carl Linder) wore on. I've more recently become more excited with the team, but its tempered with age now, so I'm a little more realistic about their chances.

Oh, and sometimes, at a game, I'm a bit Drunken Lout, although I prefer Inebriated Miscreant
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

OOOOH YEEEAHHHH!! CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

The Marge-ins: They remember Eric Davis's magical beginnings and Barry Larkin's reinvention of the shortstop position, but forget that Davis "couldn't stay in the lineup" and was too close to Parker and Milner, and Larkin was too mouthy and tore the captain's C off his uniform. Also, they forget when the outfield was Young, Frank and Styne.
    That's me. Born two years after The Machine's second championship, got on board w/the Redlegs in 85 or so, b/c my grandmother and pretty much all of my dad's side of the family were/are Reds fans.

I think I was one of the few Reds fans at my school in 1990 and there were a lot of bandwagon A's fans. October was a fun month that year. I also remember the school getting a bunch of "Reds 1990 World Champions" pencils and I was pretty much the only one buying them (didn't use the first one, they're all in perfect condition somewhere).

Eric Davis, Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo (mostly because his birthday is the same day as mine) were my favorites back then.

I remember being so upset in 1994 when the strike wiped out what could have been another special season for the Reds, and by 1995, most of those bandwagon A's fans had turned into Braves fans. I remember that October was nowhere near as fun as 1990.

I thought 1999 was a sign of things to come, especially when we got KGJ, but we all know how that turned out. I'm encouraged that the team can finally pull out of its decade-long nosedive.

Still, I hope....I hope.

I was born in 74, so missed the machine age by date, but grew to love the Reds off hearing my dad talk about em. Became a Bench fan and a catcher due to him, even though I only came around in his last few seasons. So, I would categorize myself also as a Marge-in, as that was when I really started picking up the sport and following them more closely.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?