Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tuesday 4/21/09 minor league updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Tuesday 4/21/09 minor league updates

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Francisco is ice cold. Maybe now is as good a time as ever to send him to Instructional League to begin working behind the plate? It could also be Frazier's ticket back to 3B, although the way things are going, he could be in Louisville with Rosales in Cincy by Memorial Day.
    Never going to happen. Francisco is a third baseman to the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dayton coming up for the bottom of the 9th trailing by 1. What a waste of a great start by Fairel.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

A couple bad-ass pitching performances. Nice!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Dayton loses after leading 6-1 heading into the 8th.

Sarasota won 7-5.

Wow, when's the last time a minors SP had 12 K's in a game? Cueto maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Never going to happen. Francisco is a third baseman to the Reds.
    I know, it's just my own wishful thinking
    Go BLUE!!!

Alonso finished 3-for-4 with two doubles, a homer (#2), a walk, and 4 RBI. He's now up to .250/.327/.477 - .804 after getting off to a slow start.

After a rough start, I think Homer settled down nicely. Seeing as all the hits off him were singles, maybe they weren't hitting him too hard?

Regardless, I nice "W" for him and a pretty nice showing by a lot of the youngsters tonight!

I agree with Cat, wasnt that team he faced a good hittting team?

Nice night for the organization even if they didn't win them all and took a lot of o'fers.

Fairel and Wood were studly, Homer came back and settled down. Alonso with a big night. Frazier with a couple hits. Justin Reed with a good game. Sean Watson and Adam Pettyjohn looking good in relief. Sappelt continues to hit.

Wood, Reed and Watson all are off to good starts and may be climbing their ways back into being considered prospects again. The organization seems to have enough depth all around to part with a guy or two to get some help and these guys make them even deeper if they can keep it going.

With Bray hurting, Rhodes being worked to death and Herrera too unconventional to be a loogy, their may be a role for a guy like Pettyjohn to eat some innngs from the left side in the Reds pen. The Reds have lots of younger talent and it would seem that there soon won't be room for Pettyjohn as other guys start getting healthy and moving up, but he's actually a guy they may want to keep around. The way its going, the pen is going to need some help come June or so and he could provide a mid-season boost without altering the plan for the younger guys or adding guys to the 40 man before its necessary. Of course, by then, Bray could be healthy or Viola may be ready, but Pettyjohn's decent insurance if the Reds make a deal that thins the ranks a bit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    With Bray hurting, Rhodes being worked to death and Herrera too unconventional to be a loogy, their may be a role for a guy like Pettyjohn to eat some innngs from the left side in the Reds pen.
    ugh.

I'm sure that the Reds have a LOT more hope for Pedro Viola than Pettyjohn. Me, I'm wondering if Matt Maloney might not be the guy. Long ball would be the issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    ugh.

I'm sure that the Reds have a LOT more hope for Pedro Viola than Pettyjohn. Me, I'm wondering if Matt Maloney might not be the guy. Long ball would be the issue there.
    I prefer Viola as well, but they may want to keep him in AAA all year and not add him to the 40 man and burn an option. As for Maloney, I'd give him a look, but I seem to remember something in Spring Training about him not being able to warm up quickly enough to pitch from the pen. I could be wrong about that. Personally, I think Maloney along with Stubbs and maybe Bray should be the package they start out with when they go shopping for help. Others can be added or substituted as needed,
    Last edited by mth123; 04-22-2009 at 08:19 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I went to the Bats/Clippers game last night...

Bailey was hovering right around 93/94 for the first 5 innings, which in a crappy weather game, 45 degrees and rain is pretty good...In the 6th he reached down and was hitting 96 with consistency...

He sprayed out 6 hits, but only 1 of them was hit hard, and that was a linedrive single by David Delucci...

The reason for the walks, was because he was pitching very careful and around Laporta...He went full count both times I believe and then was hoping he would chase something...

the other hits were all the ground thru the infield...the rbi single in the second was a ball that should of been a routine out, but for whatever reason Valaika was playing for the guy to hit up the middle and he hit right where the SS normally would be...

The best part was that he was missing bats...Guys were swinging and missing on the k's not just great pitches...His curve was hitting spots, and it was probably hard to get a grip on it with the weather and the cold...and his change or whatever that comes in about 86 was on and off...

Overall I walked away happy...Considering he is more of a warm weather pitcher and the bats have a very good hitting ballclub...

Not really much else to report...Rosales is still stinging the ball...Even the double play he hit into was scorched...

Dorn is struggling seeing the ball, swinging at some bat pitches...

Valaika is struggling too...

I went to the Bats/Clippers game last night...

Bailey was hovering right around 93/94 for the first 5 innings, which in a crappy weather game, 45 degrees and rain is pretty good...In the 6th he reached down and was hitting 96 with consistency...

He sprayed out 6 hits, but only 1 of them was hit hard, and that was a linedrive single by David Delucci...

The reason for the walks, was because he was pitching very careful and around Laporta...He went full count both times I believe and then was hoping he would chase something...

the other hits were all the ground thru the infield...the rbi single in the second was a ball that should of been a routine out, but for whatever reason Valaika was playing for the guy to hit up the middle and he hit right where the SS normally would be...

The best part was that he was missing bats...Guys were swinging and missing on the k's not just great pitches...His curve was hitting spots, and it was probably hard to get a grip on it with the weather and the cold...and his change or whatever that comes in about 86 was on and off...

Overall I walked away happy...Considering he is more of a warm weather pitcher and the bats have a very good hitting ballclub...

Not really much else to report...Rosales is still stinging the ball...Even the double play he hit into was scorched...

Dorn is struggling seeing the ball, swinging at some bat pitches...

Valaika is struggling too...
    Nice report -- thanks. Always love the first-hand observations. It's interesting they have Bailey and Owings lined up on the same day now, but that could be coincidence, too.

Turn Off Ads?