Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Daryl Thompson's Performance

Daryl Thompson's Performance

I saw the box score and cringed a bit today. But after looking more into it, he didn't pitch as bad as it would say. For being his first start after an injury, I guess this is expected.

I expect to see major improvements his 2nd time around though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Daryl Thompson Thread

I think Thompson is a late inning reliever at the big league level.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Thompson is a late inning reliever at the big league level.
    I want to see it simply because of his shoulder issues. I think he could actually stay productive as a reliever and have a long career doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I want to see it simply because of his shoulder issues. I think he could actually stay productive as a reliever and have a long career doing so.
    Me too and he, Stewart, Roenicke, Fisher and Burton should make it easy for the Reds to save some major bucks in the pen to actually fortify the team elsewhere.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It's early...

Trust the force, Luke.

Thompson is a starter.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Trust the force, Luke.

Thompson is a starter.
    I am more likely to trust the force than a shoulder with a surgery on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am more likely to trust the force than a shoulder with a surgery on it.
    Clemens had as major a surgery at about the same age, and he did fine. Not all players are worse after surgery, especially if they're as young as Thompson was when he had the surgery. He's recoverd very nicely from it as he continues to build up his arm strength. He was appropriately shut down at the right time last year by Jockety as he had pitched enough innings compared to each of the last three seasons. Too big a jump from one year to the next after his type of surgery, and I'd be worried about it, but so far he's been handled perfectly by the REDS.

He's ready now to reach that 200 inning level. He's never going to be that 220-230 inning eater, but I think we can expect 190-200 innings pitched from him every year beginning this season. A #3 pitcher but who goes only 6-7 innings.....not an 8-9 inning pitcher. Pitchers rarely go past the 7th anyway nowadays.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-22-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Re: Daryl Thompson's Performance

For me it isn't just about the shoulder. I don't think he has the stuff to go through a major league line-up three times and be effective. I think he can be pretty good for an inning or two.

I'll be happy to have him get his 190+ innings this year in AAA. It will only make the Major League club that much stronger when they have a need for him. There's no hurry this year to bring him up. It shouldn't have happened last year, and they know that was a mistake. Let himi have the whole year in AAA to work on another pitch or to improve the one's he working on now.

I'd actually like to see Thompson dangled for a bat. His arm woes worry me, both as a starter and as a reliever.

Daryl Thompson, rhp, Reds: Thompson’s career has been one long battle with staying healthy. After starting 2008 strong before wearing down at the end of the year, Thompson has been neither effective nor healthy this season, landing on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation. Thompson, who last pitched on May 19, has a 6.59 ERA in six starts for Triple-A Louisville, with 21 runs (20 earned) allowed in 27 1/3 innings, six walks and only eight strikeouts. With durability proving to be such a factor for the 23-year-old Thompson, a move to the bullpen might help keep him out of the trainer’s room.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...4229#more-4229

Turn Off Ads?