Turn Off Ads?

Thread: No more questions about Cordero's paycheck?

No more questions about Cordero's paycheck?

There were a ton last year, saying he didn't deserve his pay. I don't remember a closer starting out this well since Jeff Shaw. I guess you could make a case for Danny "Dug his own" Graves, but Cordero is the real deal. I'm sure he'll blow some saves this year, but he's started great. If Cordero-Weathers-Rhodes combo weren't rock solid, we might have only 4 or 5 wins at this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: No more questions about Cordero's paycheck?

That was Coco's 100th National League save and he's only the 11th pitcher in history to get 100 in both leagues. Money well spent.

Cordero doing very well so far. Still glad they signed him.

Well, it's always "what have you done for me lately". If he keeps pitching lights out, it's obviously money well spent. He's the highest paid player on the team, and so far is earning his paycheck.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I don't care how he does, it is still too much money for a closer for the Reds payroll. Closers are perhaps the most overrated "position" in baseball. I'd rather take that money and spread it out over the bullpen to improve all the spots.

That said, go Coco!

Gary Redus Ruled

now youve jinxed him
    Hoping for another Reds October

I'm just glad the Reds, so far, are competitve enough to give him the opportunity to save games. There were stretches last year where he didn't pitch for several days, and some of those appearances were "just to get some work in". Overpaid? You betcha. But that's the only way Cincy is gonna attract free agents, for now.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I knew this tough night was coming for Coco. Still he's been a pleasant surprise after a tough ST
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I knew this tough night was coming for Coco. Still he's been a pleasant surprise after a tough ST
    It's just all too common to see big time closer getting rocked in tie games or non save situations, take this as a lesson be learned, put coco in to close, otherwise use other people.

I wasn't a fan of the idea of bringing him into this game at the time, but I can also see the logic behind it. I've just never felt like he's pitched well in those types of situations, could be wrong, just felt like a gut type thing.
    JayBruce32, we must be a jinx, my attendance record is 0-2, they're 1 game over .500 and we haven't seen a win yet, lol.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    It's just all too common to see big time closer getting rocked in tie games or non save situations, take this as a lesson be learned, put coco in to close, otherwise use other people.
    I totally agree with you man
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Coco hadn't pitched in a while and it was literally impossible for a save situation to come up once you're tied in the ninth (at home). I agree that he tends to struggle in that situation, but he needs to pitch sometime.

If you were watching on TV, Cowboy pretty much said it before CoCo started pitching.........that closers in non-save situations tend to not do well........he even included himself in that statement. Sure enough he was right. They also pointed out that Kerry Wood came in for a non-save situation last night and got rocked for 3 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If you were watching on TV, Cowboy pretty much said it before CoCo started pitching.........that closers in non-save situations tend to not do well........he even included himself in that statement. Sure enough he was right. They also pointed out that Kerry Wood came in for a non-save situation last night and got rocked for 3 runs.
    The thing with closers, especially CoCo, they rely on the adrenaline rush of the 9th inning. Having the game locked up and in ones own hands mentally plays a big role in the confidence and performance of the closer. In an excerpt from an ESPN All Star Game article from 2007 the year before CoCo was traded to the Reds, the article discussed closers in a relief role outside of their closing duties:

Many times closers will tell you that when they enter a game and it's not a save situation, it's hard for them to mimic the adrenaline and feel for the way they normally pitch.
    Then after giving up a homer in the 6th of the all-star game Coco then went on to say,

Their hitters are good for a reason. But my mentality always stays the same. It's just part of the game -- I made a mistake.
    -CoCo
    Last edited by OpeningDay; 04-28-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AccordinglyReds View Post
    Cordero doing very well so far. Still glad they signed him.
    Yeah me too. So far so good with this guy
    The Tiger!
    Go Reds!

Turn Off Ads?