Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7-3?

7-3?

Did this team really just go 7-3 on an in-division road trip?

The team that can't hit, can't field, and can't pitch?

I know its not the west coast swings of old, but its pretty impressive to say the least. 2 out of 3 in Chicago especially.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 7-3?

Everyone who remembers the heart break of the '99 season knows that winning every game that you can on this end of the season is important. It may all be smoke and mirrors and it may well be that it can't last, but it's sweet, to say the least.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

You know what excites me about this team, I think they'll pitch well all season long. Bullpen is pretty solid, starters are solid, and there's a pitcher or 2 that can be called up from the minors should someone get hurt or come out of the pen for an emergency start.

Defense is better than last year, and will hopefully get better as Gonzalez gets further away from injury, Edwin develops more consistancy (how long have we said that) and the OF gets more used to each other.

The offense is still a question mark, but Walt has a history of picking up a solid bat at the trading deadline. If Bob C and company approve a late season raise to the payroll to make a playoff push, there should be more than 1 RH bat available to fill the 4 hole. 1 big bat could make a huge difference to this team's chances. With the economy as it is, you've got to think there's going to be more than 1 team looking to unload some payroll for less than equal talent. The Reds could pick up that bat, while not hurting the minor league system too much going forward.

Never would have thought they would do so well on this road trip.

Let's hope they keep it up at home and the wheels don't come off.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Jocketty says he's not worried about the offense

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Frank Thomas is a name that's out there...Adam Rosales also is tearing the cover off of the ball in Louisville.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 04-23-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Not in my wildest dreams did I think the Reds would go 7-3 on this road trip. I was hoping for 5-5 or 6-4. To go 7-3 in Milwaukee, Houston, and Chicago, that's impressive. Hopefully they can carry this hot streak into the homestand and take four of six from the Braves and Astros.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I too was hoping for just a 5 win trip to be satisfied. That they did as well as they did is very encouraging. Hopefully they can keep it up at home.

I'm quite happy with the trip too, but we should remember that there is another 9-6 team in the Central: the Pirates. Anyone think they'll keep up the pace? It's still really early.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

To pile on with more good news, I read in an article in today's local paper that this is the first time since '04 that the Reds have won 3 series during a single road trip.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    To pile on with more good news, I read in an article in today's local paper that this is the first time since '04 that the Reds have won 3 series during a single road trip.
    The bad news is that they finished 76-86 and in 4th place in '04.

Call me Mr. Sunshine.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    The bad news is that they finished 76-86 and in 4th place in '04.

Call me Mr. Sunshine.
    You also had a 5-12 Jose Acevedo
    7-10 Cory Lidle
    2-8 brandon claussen
    and 33 starts by Todd Van Poppel, Luke Hudson, Josh Hancock, and Jimmy Haynes.

Much different rotation this year I would think
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    7-10 Cory Lidle
    2-8 brandon claussen

So what is your point? Are you honestly saying this year's rotation is better than that? ;-)

Yes, it's early, but I'm excited about this team. If the pitchers stay healthy, the Reds are going to stay in the hunt all year IMO. And we're going to go crazy watching games trying to figure out how they are going to score runs when Votto is not carrying them (opposing teams will eventually just pitch around him if our cleanup hitters -- either Encarnacion or Phillips -- continue to completely stink at the plate).

7-10 Cory Lidle
    2-8 brandon claussen

Being someone who doesn't expect the Reds to be perfect in all levels of assembling a team...I am so glad the focus has shifted towards pitching in the past few years and the above post is why.

7-10 Cory Lidle
    2-8 brandon claussen

I was really just playing devil's advocate. Another factor in favor of the '09 Reds is that the '04 team was "led" by Dave Miley.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting too much from this road trip and I was happy with the guys for at least getting five wins. Them not only having a winning road trip but taking all three series from our division foes totally blew up all my expectations. That was a good surprise though and I'd be very happy to be surprised again for the rest of the season, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Turn Off Ads?