Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sushi

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Sushi

Ok.... so I'm going to get some Sushi tonight (celebrating the Reds play) j/k

I always get a ton of California Rolls. What else is good? Only other thing I've tried is spicy Tuna. tell me something that won't poison me!
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sushi

You may get weirded out when I say this, but my favorite is TOTALLY eel. It's incredible. If you can get past the name, it's GREAT.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

I'm not a huge sushi fan, but I find that what matters more is the quality and place more than exactly what the sushi is if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I'm not a huge sushi fan, but I find that what matters more is the quality and place more than exactly what the sushi is if that makes sense.
    That's an excellent point. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to sushi. Price is nearly always a function of either fish quality or (if you're far from the coast) freshness.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I find that getting the sushi from people are actually Japanese makes a huge difference. I echo BuckeyeRed27's comment regarding price, too.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Dragon Rolls are probably my favorite. I love Unagi rolls too. Eel is very tasty.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

yeah, Sea eel hand roll. crunchy and yummy. Salmon sushi with mint leaf. Never on the menu, but they can make it.

Having spent a good year of my life in Japan and studying Japanese language, I'm a bit of a Sushi fan myself. BR27 is right. The quality (that is, freshness, selection and cut of fish) is more important than what they have on the menu. American style Sushi is heavy on the specialty rolls with things like "spider rolls" and "dragon rolls." Heck, I've been to a place here in Music City that does a "Murfresboro Roll." Now, that's not to say it's not good because like a lot of Americanized Chinese or Italian food, it _can_ be good. But it's not the same thing you get when you go _there_.

So, my test is always to order simple nigiri Sushi. Nigiri is just the fish on top of the vinegar rice, sometimes with wasabi in between. I like to check the quality by ordering:

*Hamachi - (yellow tail)
    *Maguro - (tuna)
    *Sake - (salmon)

Followed by:

*Unagi - (bbq eel)

And to finish:

*Tamago - (sweet, cooked egg)

And, quite honestly, that should be more than enough. You might get some miso soup and a salad too. Don't put soy sauce on anything that came with a sauce. Don't dunk the rice side of the nigiri in the sauce (put the fish side in). Start with a nice cold sake and finish with a refreshing beer. Between each kind of fish, have a bite of the pickled ginger (gari) to cleanse the pallet.

The fish shouldn't be stringy or tough, nor should it smell like fish. It should have a delicate texture and a distinct, non-fishy taste. The rice should hold together easily and have a slighlty sweet taste. It's OK to pick up the nigiri with your fingers. If you use chopsticks and want to impress, fold the paper dealy in half the long way twice and then down it's length once to make a little stand that keeps the eating end of them off the table.

If you like the sushi chef and are sitting at the sushi bar, offer to buy him a beer and offer a toast of "Ostukari sama de****a!" Which means something like "you've worked hard today so go home and rest so you can come back and work hard tomorrow!"

I kid, I kid!

Or, just forget everything I've said and order whatever looks good!

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I had eel once and couldn't get past the flavor/texture combo. I also think I might have had flashbacks from reading "The Tin Drum."

I like salmon, tuna, yellowtail, most rolls, octopus, squid, roe. Just no eel.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

We love sushi. Favorite place to go, here in Charlotte, is RuSan's. Love Maguro.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Bangkok Biestro has some of the best Sushi in the Cincy area. But I pretty much keep it simple. I like hot stuff, the wife likes bland stuff. The wasabi sauce makes it spicy enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    We love sushi. Favorite place to go, here in Charlotte, is RuSan's. Love Maguro.
    Yeah, I've been to the Rusan's here. It's good. "Rock and Roll"...but good!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Nate gives good tips.

I also like Seaweed salad. It's delicious.

I've been to RuSans in Atlanat. Good place.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Sushi is a lot like hot wings... except for women.

I've never really tried the stuff though so who knows.

I don't do fish, but I do the Vegi sushi, and Japanese food is a great non meat meal to pursue anytime IMO.

We have this place down the street.
    http://www.saburos.com/

In Atlanta this guy who worked for us refused to eat sushi at the place next to our office. He called it "The Bait Shop.

Turn Off Ads?