Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Carpenter Out, Lohse?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Carpenter Out, Lohse?

With Chris Carpenter already out for likely 2 months, the Cards had another starter potentially go down when former Red Kyle Lohse felt a "pop" in his knee area. He had an MRI yesterday and the results will be known today apparently.

Many will argue that Lohse was signed for too much money and years (4 years, $41M, in a down market where the Crads jumped the gun) but he has certainly been a durable pitcher in his career. I'd consider him similiar to Arroyo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Carpenter Out, Lohse?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Many will argue that Lohse was signed for too much money and years (4 years, $41M, in a down market where the Crads jumped the gun) but he has certainly been a durable pitcher in his career. I'd consider him similiar to Arroyo.
    "the Crads". For some reason I really like that.

Rem

With Chris Carpenter already out for likely 2 months, the Cards had another starter potentially go down when former Red Kyle Lohse felt a "pop" in his knee area. He had an MRI yesterday and the results will be known today apparently.

When Lohse signed his extension in September last year, it was not a down market at that point. One might argue about the length, but that's an argument that can be made for any contract that long for a pitcher where one injury can destroy a guy's career. I'm guessing they've got it insured, but then again, I'm not sure how that market's been lately.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    When Lohse signed his extension in September last year, it was not a down market at that point. One might argue about the length, but that's an argument that can be made for any contract that long for a pitcher where one injury can destroy a guy's career. I'm guessing they've got it insured, but then again, I'm not sure how that market's been lately.
    Do Lohse and Affeld have the same agents? Everyone in the league should look into hiring their agents.

My guess is that they sign Kenny Rogers, Jimmy Anderson and Josh Fogg.....who then go a combined 51-15 with a 2.56 ERA for Dave Duncan.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Do Lohse and Affeld have the same agents? Everyone in the league should look into hiring their agents.
    No, Lohse is a Boras client and Affeldt has Mike Moyes.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

BTW, the St. Louis paper is reporting that Lohse's MRI was "clean"

Lohse MRI Clean; Status Evaluated Later Today

By: Joe Strauss
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A magnetic resonance imaging performed on Cardinals pitcher Kyle Lohse this morning found no structural damage to his right knee, according to a club source.

Lohse, who apparently jammed the knee covering first base on a bungled fifth-inning grounder Thursday, is unlikely to be assigned to the disabled list but may have his next start pushed back or skipped entirely. The matter will be discussed among general manager John Mozeliak, manager Tony La Russa, pitching coach Dave Duncan and team medical supervisor Dr. George Paletta this afternoon at Busch Stadium.

A club official described today’s finding as “clean” and called it “very good news.” The club intends to make an official announcement later this afternoon.

The Baseball Bookstore

Firstly, Boras certainly knew it was going to be a different market, or he won't have jumped at the Cards offer.

Secondly, very few contracts are actaully insured against injuries as the premiums are simply too expensive.

And thirdly, Strauss has reported that the MRI has revealed that Lohse has no structural damage to his knee and will be revaluated.

Firstly, Boras certainly knew it was going to be a different market, or he won't have jumped at the Cards offer.

Secondly, very few contracts are actaully insured against injuries as the premiums are simply too expensive.

And thirdly, Strauss has reported that the MRI has revealed that Lohse has no structural damage to his knee and will be revaluated.
    Boras may have had a hunch, but at the same time, it may have struck him and Lohse that it was a good deal. Your sentence would seem to suggest that the Cardinals were dopes for not knowing the free agent market would collapse as the off season progressed and somehow Scott Boras was the only agent smart enough to know it and get this particular player signed. Of course, his prescience didn't have him suggesting to Manny to take the multi-year deal.
    Last edited by redsmetz; 04-24-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: dropped "did it?" to lessen unintended harshness

The Baseball Bookstore

Boras may have had a hunch, but at the same time, it may have struck him and Lohse that it was a good deal. Your sentence would seem to suggest that the Cardinals were dopes for not knowing the free agent market would collapse as the off season progressed and somehow Scott Boras was the only agent smart enough to know it and get this particular player signed. Of course, his prescience didn't have him suggesting to Manny to take the multi-year deal.

Boras is probably smarter than most agents. And yes, I'm sure he thought 4 years @$41M was a great deal for Lohse in any market.

And we don't know what his advice to Manny was. Though I believe that the deal that Manny finally signed was no worse than any deal he turned down?

And yes, I think the Cards were dopes for signing Lohse to the deal they did, regardless of the FA crash. And I thought so before it became apparent that they should have gotten him much cheaper.

Lohse has become a very good pitcher. I thought he was the anti-christ when he pitched here. It seems St. Louis has found a way with him. I still don't think it would have happened here, but I admit he's a lot better than I thought.

Kudos to Kyle along with Duncan and the ST. Louis organizaion.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Kyle Lohse is my least favorite player in baseball. Maybe of all-time. I can't stand him.

I think the Cardinals could call up a guy from Single-A with an ERA of 8.00+ and he would turn into a Cy Young contender. They have an amazing coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

I think the Cardinals could call up a guy from Single-A with an ERA of 8.00+ and he would turn into a Cy Young contender. They have an amazing coaching staff.

Who was the last starting pitcher they drafted that made it big in the system?

I think it's Matt Morris.

Duncan can get somerthing out of retreads like Gullett could do, but they have had a very poor record of developing home grown starters.

Recent pitchers brought up from the minors to start include Boggs and Walters, both of whom failed badly. Reyes and haren were both shipped out and have done better elsewhere.

Duncan's apparent magic only starts with pitchers who are older.

Turn Off Ads?