Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Travis Wood?

Travis Wood?

Where's the love for Travis Wood? He has moved up pretty fast for his age and all the injuries he has had to deal with. Plus, he is pitching quite well right now and did well last season. Those of you that are more knowledgeable: what can we expect from Travis Wood?

I'm guessing a full year of AA and then a full year of AAA before we see him on the big club. That would put him at 24 at the time.

Bum

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Travis Wood?

I'd say he's got a chance because his change is said to be one of the best in the minors.

hands down greatest GCL pitcher of all time

I'm still trying to figure out how we got him back. We traded him a couple years ago, correct?

Admittedly, I haven't kept up with this stuff too much in the last year or two, but I would have thought I would have heard about re-aquiring him. I really like Travis Wood. I have since I watched him pitch at Dayton. As mentioned, his changeup is just sick. Makes a lot of hitters look foolish. He's got some mechanical issues, IIRC, that puts strain on his shoulder, though, so he is a risk going forward. I would think it could be 3 years before we see him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved to the bullpen if he's not cruising as a starter in AAA.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

we never traded him

The Latin Heartthrob

RL, you're probably thinking of Zach Ward, they were drafted around the same time and played for Dayton and Sarasota together, I believe. Ward was the heavy sinkerball pitcher we traded to Minnesota for Kyle Lohse.

Or maybe Travis Chick, who I believe is still playing in AA for someone.

Right now Travis Wood is 0-3 with a 0.83 ERA...wow...he's allowed only 11 hits in 21 2/3 IP. His strikeout to walk ratio is not good however: 12/13. Hopefully he stays healthy and we find out what he can do in the long run.

Bum

Wood was comparable to Cueto on most prospect lists that came out in 2006 and early 2007. If he can keep this up, he will be an interesting guy to watch, as he is quickly regaining his status as the most intriguing lefty in the system. I'd like to see him in Louisville by Fathers Day.
    Go BLUE!!!

We need a junk balling lefty in this rotation. Let's hope he continues to do well

Last 4 outings: 26 1/3 IP, 23 Hits, 7 walks, 22 K's= 1.71 ERA and a 1.1392 WHIP with a K/W ratio of better than 3:1. This guy is making some noise! Is this real? Can he maintain this at the major league level? When will he move to AAA?

Very interesting guy. Non-traditional pitching prospect.

Bum

Walk rate is 4.42 walks per nine innings this season. That won't fly in AAA or the majors. It's the one negative in a very good year for Wood. Seems to be improving as the season goes along.

Wood and Jordan Smith have followed the same path. They were great in High A last year, advanced to AA and took some lumps, now are very successful in AA. If it continues, they both should see AAA this year and start at AAA next season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-29-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?