Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howie Kendrick

Howie Kendrick

I have Howie Kendrick or Placido Polanco at 2nd.

Both are sucking wind.

Is there any hope in either one? There aren't any free agents left out there that pique my interest yet.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Howie Kendrick

Until Howie Kendrick learns to take a walk- or at least stop striking out so much, he is useless. His OBP is BA driven, which means that when he slumps, he is a detriment to any team, real or fantasy.I gave up Kendrick a long, long time ago. He just swings at everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league in two years.

Is Aaron Hill available?

Overreact much? Kendrick is a career .300 hitter in the majors. I'm happy with his BA/SB combo on my team...

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Most fantasy leagues don't use OBP as a stat, so a good BA is valuable. I would assume Kendrick is superior to anyone on the waiver wire.

Overreact much? Kendrick is a career .300 hitter in the majors. I'm happy with his BA/SB combo on my team...
    Kendrick's BABIP for 2007 was an incredibly lucky .374.

He whiffs 5 times more than he walks. You can't strike out and put balls in play at that rate and continue to have success in the majors.

He has one walk to go with 14 k's this year. Think that has anything to do with hitting .210?

Oh, and guess who was in 2008's luckiest hitter group?

You can't just swing at everything and hit .300, and even if you do, your OBP is going to stink.

Either Kendrick is going to regress, or he's just the luckiest guy in the world.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-25-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Kendrick

And his .256 BABIP isn't unlucky? It's simple; in 1,000 career MLB ABs he has a .300 BA and in 1,540 minor league ABs he had a .360 BA. I would be amazed he can't hit at least .280 this year...

I could see Kendrick having the highest average in the AL a few years down the road.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

There is some hope for Kendrick. If you wanted to list a few of the 2B's that are available I'm sure you would get plenty of opinions. You might want to keep an eye out for some guys being dropped who are off to a slow start
    Last edited by IowaRed; 04-26-2009 at 09:12 PM.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    There is some hope for Kendrick. If you wanted to list a few of the 2B's that are available I'm sure you would get plenty of opinions. You might want to keep an eye out for some guys being dropped who are off to a slow start
    *Cough Alexei Ramirez cough*

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

FYI- Kendrick went deep yesterday.

I think Kendrick has been dropped and added by more teams in my league this year than anyone else. I've been wondering what the heck the deal is with this guy.

Ah, the law of averages.

Kendrick sits at .240 with a .280 OBP and a .380 SLG.

Looks like that batting title will have to wait another year LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Ah, the law of averages.

Kendrick sits at .240 with a .280 OBP and a .380 SLG.

Looks like that batting title will have to wait another year LOL...
    But OBP and SLG aren't used in most leagues. For fantasy he hasn't been that bad...

He'll be out of baseball by the time he is 32.

If you refuse to take a walk and have no power, you're doomed.

His ".300" seasons in the majors have all been small sample sizes. Hit .300 over 600 ABs, and we'll talk.

But Kendrick will never stay healthy enough to do this, so that's a conversation that will never happen.

As well, Kendrick has shown zero improvement over his time on the big league club with understanding the strike zone.

There's always that guy in fantasy who holds out hope for guys like this, don't be that guy.

Turn Off Ads?