Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46

Thread: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

  1. #1
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

    My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

    I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

    I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.

  4. #3
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.
    That's true, so I guess I am losing yet again. But, I wanted to see some highlights of the late basketball games (playoff games that really matter...) and instead saw non-stop talk about the draft. At this point, I feel that the two most well known people in the country are Obama and Mark Sanchez.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  5. #4
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,171

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    There's a draft this week?

  6. #5
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,715

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There's a draft this week?
    I'm going to Canada.
    Go Gators!

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,782

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'm going to Canada.
    CFL Draft?

  8. #7
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    6,451

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    I don't watch any of the ESPN hype but I do enjoy following draft day, mostly because of the college players and not the NFL aspect...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  9. #8
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Well...I can see that my post got six replies (one of which was mine), and the draft has sixty and counting. I guess I lose...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  10. #9
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    I've always been interested in the front office moves of NFL teams, just not AS much as I used to be. (I'll be glad to not have to see that commercial about the draft anymore)

  11. #10
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    To be honest, my interest level has kind of waned regarding the NFL Draft.

    I got off work at 5:30, turned it on ESPN Radio to see who the Bengals picked, then watched off and on until the second round to see who the Bengals would take.

    Tomorrow I work from noon until 5:30, so I will miss that part too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  12. #11
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    I used to be interested in who the Bengals would take back in the years when I held hope that they would be a legitimate NFL franchise. Now that that is an impossibility, I have little interest in it. It doesn't matter who the cast is, the Bengals are going to be the Bengals.

  13. #12
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,543

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

    My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

    I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

    I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.

    I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

    It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #13
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

    It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.
    I understand the popularity of the NFL (which I think is vastly overrated, but this is another topic for another day). But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist. Half of the players taken yesterday won't matter, but the best point guard since Isiah Thomas was playing.

    We as a society are obsessed with what is next as opposed to thinking about what is happening now. Maybe that is one of the exciting things about the draft.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  15. #14
    Just The Big Picture macro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The Bluegrass State
    Posts
    6,150

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    All of this kinda reminds me of college basketball recruiting. There seems to be more fan interest in it than ever before.

  16. #15
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist.
    The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues. Maybe, just maybe, if half of the teams in the league didn't make the playoffs more people would watch?? 2 months of playoffs is way too long. Shorten it with less teams and it would mean a lot more.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25