Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

NFL Draft = Waste of Time

I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    For the waste of time you sure put a lot of thought into it haha.
    That's true, so I guess I am losing yet again. But, I wanted to see some highlights of the late basketball games (playoff games that really matter...) and instead saw non-stop talk about the draft. At this point, I feel that the two most well known people in the country are Obama and Mark Sanchez.

There's a draft this week?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    There's a draft this week?
    I'm going to Canada.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'm going to Canada.
    CFL Draft?

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I don't watch any of the ESPN hype but I do enjoy following draft day, mostly because of the college players and not the NFL aspect...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Well...I can see that my post got six replies (one of which was mine), and the draft has sixty and counting. I guess I lose...

I've always been interested in the front office moves of NFL teams, just not AS much as I used to be. (I'll be glad to not have to see that commercial about the draft anymore)

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

To be honest, my interest level has kind of waned regarding the NFL Draft.

I got off work at 5:30, turned it on ESPN Radio to see who the Bengals picked, then watched off and on until the second round to see who the Bengals would take.

Tomorrow I work from noon until 5:30, so I will miss that part too.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I used to be interested in who the Bengals would take back in the years when I held hope that they would be a legitimate NFL franchise. Now that that is an impossibility, I have little interest in it. It doesn't matter who the cast is, the Bengals are going to be the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm sorry to say this to all of you, but I think that the NFL (and NBA and NHL and MLB for that matter)draft is the biggest waste of human man hours this side of the E! channel. ESPN has created a monster with thousands of hours of lead-up's, mock drafts, discussion shows, etc... In a way, they have manufactured interest in something that isn't interesting. The lead-up means nothing.

My approach to the NFL draft is the same that I have with the NCAA selection show and the lead up to it. I will pick up a USA Today on the following Monday and learn just as much about what happened as everyone who spent hundreds of precious hours reading speculative content.

I understand the attachment that people have with their college heroes and their NFL teams. I get that. My wife is an OSU nut (no pun intended), so she will be interested to see where the people who have been major parts of her life end up. However, she learns that by reading the paper the next day, not by watching Todd McShay say that James Laurinitis is falling down the draft board two months before the draft ever happens.

I know that many of you will be watching this today, and that is fine, it is your decision. But, I would like to know what draws you to it.

I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm kind of with you. I'm really not that interested in the draft. But it seems like we are in the minority. It does bring up a good question, though. Did ESPN manufacture all this interest in the draft or did the become so interesting that ESPN started making it a priority for them? Probably like the chicken and the egg question. Now I believe when ESPN first started covering the draft, they were just starting out and they would cover pretty near anything just to get programming on the air. Obviously there had to be some interest from the viewers in the first place since they kept doing it and interest in it has grown even beyond what ESPN could hype it up.

It's really a perfect storm of two of sports fans favorite pastimes coming together. The NFL is the most popular professional sport and college football is the most popular college sport. Put those two together after 3-4 months without football and that's going to whet people's appetites even more.
    I understand the popularity of the NFL (which I think is vastly overrated, but this is another topic for another day). But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist. Half of the players taken yesterday won't matter, but the best point guard since Isiah Thomas was playing.

We as a society are obsessed with what is next as opposed to thinking about what is happening now. Maybe that is one of the exciting things about the draft.

All of this kinda reminds me of college basketball recruiting. There seems to be more fan interest in it than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    But, we are in the heart of the NBA and NHL playoffs. ESPN is covering the NBA playoffs minutes before the 1st Round of the Draft and it is like it doesn't exist.
    The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues. Maybe, just maybe, if half of the teams in the league didn't make the playoffs more people would watch?? 2 months of playoffs is way too long. Shorten it with less teams and it would mean a lot more.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Turn Off Ads?