Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

Re: NFL Draft = Waste of Time

The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues.
    Not in Hockey, the top seed routinely gets ambushed, hey but you might miss that stuff if you are watching a bunch of talking heads discussing guys who will be playing a game in 5 months.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not in Hockey, the top seed routinely gets ambushed, hey but you might miss that stuff if you are watching a bunch of talking heads discussing guys who will be playing a game in 5 months.
    Nobody watching the Bulls-Celtics series would say it is a waste of time, either. Compelling stuff.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I would like to know what draws you to it.
    Mel Kiper Jr's hair.

It's like the sun. It has its own gravitational pull. Unless Obi-Wan Kenobi can infiltrate and deactivate the tractor beam, it will one day take over the entire universe.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Mel Kiper Jr's hair.

It's like the sun. It has its own gravitational pull. Unless Obi-Wan Kenobi can infiltrate and deactivate the tractor beam, it will one day take over the entire universe.
    OK. I gotta' give ya' a for that one.

Rem

The NFL Draft is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I know draftees mean next to nothing until they play in the NFL but it's a chance for football fans to get their NFL fix during a long off season. It's fun to get together and talk football for a couple days. And for long suffering Bengal fans, this might be as good as it gets, unfortunately.

I'll grant you and others that it may be a lot of hype but it's entertainment and a fun football fix. It does force you to get to know a lot of players and this may pay off as you see them play on Sundays.

But I agree with you there are ridiculous aspects of this draft. I was watching it with a Seattle season ticket holder and he had his mind made up that Aaron Curry was the best player in this entire draft and you can imagine his excitement when his Seahawks selected him. I later asked him if he ever saw a Wake Forest game last year and whether he'd ever seen Curry play a down to which he admitted "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    But I agree with you there are ridiculous aspects of this draft. I was watching it with a Seattle season ticket holder and he had his mind made up that Aaron Curry was the best player in this entire draft and you can imagine his excitement when his Seahawks selected him. I later asked him if he ever saw a Wake Forest game last year and whether he'd ever seen Curry play a down to which he admitted "no".
    I've seen Aaron Curry play many many many times. He's a beast. He's also a stand up citizen who has remained quite humble despite his accolades.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Ratings. NFL gets them. NBA/NHL doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Ratings. NFL gets them. NBA/NHL doesn't
    Put the NFL's marquee games on a Tuesday night starting at 10:00 and see how their rating start to look. I'm not saying that the NBA is better than the NFL, but it is awfully easy to follow a league that has 16 games played on Sundays afternoons when it is freezing cold in half of the country.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Improbus,

I agree with you on all points. I have to admit that the internet age has caused my interest in viewing the actual draft to wane. It was more fun when the average person didn't have access to every NFL team's beat writer's column and 8 million, so you have a pretty good idea which way it will play out, especially when a team is picking at or near the top.

It also doesn't help matters when the top pick is already signed, sealed and delivered before the Commissioner steps up to the podium. Where's the suspense?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    The first round of the playoffs is a waste of time in both of those leagues. Maybe, just maybe, if half of the teams in the league didn't make the playoffs more people would watch?? 2 months of playoffs is way too long. Shorten it with less teams and it would mean a lot more.
    And shorten the time between games. Shouldnt need like 2 weeks for one round. Want to keep the travel days fine, best of 5 rather than 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

It was more fun when the average person didn't have access to every NFL team's beat writer's column and 8 million mock drafts.
    Fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    And shorten the time between games. Shouldnt need like 2 weeks for one round.
    I'm not sure these are good ideas. The players have finished a grueling 82 game schedule. I want to see quality basketball over quantity, so let's not rush something good.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm not sure these are good ideas. The players have finished a grueling 82 game schedule. I want to see quality basketball over quantity, so let's not rush something good.

I think it's fine now. As recent as a couple of years ago, it was ridiculous. A team would play on Sunday then wouldn't play again till Thursday. They really don't need more than a day or two between games unless they are flying from one coast to the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

The NFL Draft on ESPN was the number 3 rated cable network show last week. I don't think the NBA or NHL could come close to that.

Also worth noting, since we all love to hate ESPN...the #4 rated cable network show last week was the Sunday night game between the Sawx & Yanks. Be prepared to see a lot more of them...as if we didn't already know that.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The NFL Draft is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I know draftees mean next to nothing until they play in the NFL but it's a chance for football fans to get their NFL fix during a long off season. It's fun to get together and talk football for a couple days. And for long suffering Bengal fans, this might be as good as it gets, unfortunately.

I'll grant you and others that it may be a lot of hype but it's entertainment and a fun football fix. It does force you to get to know a lot of players and this may pay off as you see them play on Sundays.

Well said. I agree.

Turn Off Ads?