Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

  1. #1
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    50 years ago (1959), an 11-10 win at Crosley Field vs. the Braves.

    Milwaukee Braves
    Jim Pisoni cf
    Eddie Mathews 3b
    Hank Aaron rf
    Joe Adcock 1b
    Wes Covington lf
    Del Crandall c
    Johnny Logan ss
    Felix Mantilla 2b
    Lew Burdette p

    Cincinnati
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Vada Pinson cf
    Jerry Lynch lf
    Frank Robinson 1b
    Gus Bell rf
    Frank J. Thomas 3b
    Ed Bailey c
    Roy McMillan ss
    Joe Nuxhall p


    WP: Bob Purkey (3-1)
    LP: Warren Spahn (2-2)
    HR: MIL - Hank Aaron (4). CIN - Frank Thomas (2).

    Reds reliever Willard Schmidt, who relieved Joe Nuxhall in the third inning, set a major-league record as a batter in the bottom of the third, as he was hit by a pitch twice in one inning. He remained in the game--however, he left the game in the top of the fourth inning after Braves SS Johnny Logan lined a single off Schmidt's pitching hand.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    40 years ago (1969), a 5-2 loss at San Diego Stadium.

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose cf
    Bobby Tolan rf
    Alex Johnson lf
    Tony Perez 3b
    Johnny Bench c
    Lee May 1b
    Tommy Helms 2b
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Jim Merritt p

    San Diego
    Tommy Dean ss
    Roberto Peņa 2b
    Ivan Murrell rf
    Al Ferrara lf
    Nate Colbert 1b
    Cito Gaston cf
    Ed Spiezio 3b
    Chris Cannizzaro c
    Dick Kelley p


    WP: Jack Baldschun (2-0)
    LP: Jim Merritt (1-1)
    HR: CIN - Johnny Bench (4). SD - Nate Colbert (3), Chris Cannizzaro (1).

    The Padres scored all five of their runs in the eighth inning off losing pitcher Jim Merritt, as Nate Colbert hit a three-run homer and Chris Cannizzaro added a two-run shot.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  4. #3
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    35 years ago (1974), a 4-3 win at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    George Foster cf
    Merv Rettenmund rf
    Andy Kosco 3b
    Don Gullett p

    St. Louis
    Lou Brock lf
    Ted Sizemore 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Ted Simmons c
    Joe Torre 1b
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Luis Melendez cf
    Mike Tyson ss
    John Curtis p


    WP: Don Gullett (2-1)
    LP: John Curtis (1-3)
    Sv: Pedro Borbon (3)
    HR: STL - Reggie Smith (4).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  5. #4
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    25 years ago (1984), a 2-1 loss at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.

    Cincinnati
    Duane Walker lf
    Eddie Milner cf
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Dave Parker rf
    Dan Driessen 1b
    Nick Esasky 3b
    Ron Oester 2b
    Dann Bilardello c
    Jeff Russell p

    Atlanta
    Claudell Washington rf
    Rafael Ramirez ss
    Chris Chambliss 1b
    Bob Horner 3b
    Terry Harper lf
    Dale Murphy cf
    Glenn Hubbard 2b
    Bruce Benedict c
    Craig McMurtry p


    WP: Craig McMurtry (2-2)
    LP: Jeff Russell (1-3)
    Sv: Terry Forster (1)
    HR: CIN - Dan Driessen (1).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #5
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    20 years ago (1989), a 6-5 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. Les Expos.

    Montreal
    Tim Raines lf
    Tom Foley 2b
    Andres Galarraga 1b
    Hubie Brooks rf
    Tim Wallach 3b
    Dave Martinez cf
    Nelson Santovenia c
    Spike Owen ss
    Pascual Perez p

    Cincinnati
    Kal Daniels lf
    Chris Sabo 3b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Eric Davis cf
    Todd Benzinger 1b
    Paul O'Neill rf
    Jeff Reed c
    Ron Oester 2b
    Rick Mahler p


    WP: Rick Mahler (2-3)
    LP: Pascual Perez (0-2)
    Sv: John Franco (6)
    HR: None.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  7. #6
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    15 years ago (1994), an 8-2 win at Riverfront vs. the Cubs.

    Chicago Cubs
    Tuffy Rhodes cf
    Ryne Sandberg 2b
    Mark Grace 1b
    Derrick May lf
    Sammy Sosa rf
    Rick Wilkins c
    Rey Sanchez 3b
    Shawon Dunston ss
    Turk Wendell p

    Cincinnati
    Barry Larkin ss
    Hal Morris 1b
    Reggie Sanders rf
    Kevin Mitchell lf
    Thomas Howard cf
    Tony Fernandez 3b
    Jeff Branson 2b
    Eddie Taubensee c
    Tim Pugh p


    WP: Tim Pugh (2-0)
    LP: Turk Wendell (0-1)
    HR: CIN - Thomas Howard (1), Tony Fernandez (3).

    Tim Pugh pitched a complete-game five-hitter to get the win for the Reds, and also went 2-for-4 with a single and an RBI double.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  8. #7
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    Five years ago (2004), a 5-2 win at PNC Park in Pittsburgh.

    Cincinnati
    D'Angelo Jimenez 2b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    Sean Casey 1b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Austin Kearns rf
    Brandon Larson 3b
    Jason LaRue c
    Aaron Harang p

    Pittsburgh
    Tike Redman cf
    Jack Wilson ss
    Jason Kendall c
    Raul Mondesi lf
    Rob Mackowiak 3b
    Craig Wilson rf
    Carlos Rivera 1b
    Jose Castillo 2b
    Ryan Vogelsong p


    WP: Aaron Harang (2-0)
    LP: Ryan Vogelsong (1-3)
    Sv: Danny Graves (10)
    HR: CIN - Sean Casey (3). PIT - Craig Wilson (5).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  9. #8
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,236

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    35 years ago (1974), a 4-3 win at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    George Foster cf
    Merv Rettenmund rf
    Andy Kosco 3b
    Don Gullett p

    St. Louis
    Lou Brock lf
    Ted Sizemore 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Ted Simmons c
    Joe Torre 1b
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Luis Melendez cf
    Mike Tyson ss
    John Curtis p


    WP: Don Gullett (2-1)
    LP: John Curtis (1-3)
    Sv: Pedro Borbon (3)
    HR: STL - Reggie Smith (4).
    Andy Kosco at 3rd? The Reds must have been desperate to find a 3rd baseman. I don't remember him playing 3rd at all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  10. #9
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,236

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    50 years ago (1959), an 11-10 win at Crosley Field vs. the Braves.

    Milwaukee Braves
    Jim Pisoni cf
    Eddie Mathews 3b
    Hank Aaron rf
    Joe Adcock 1b
    Wes Covington lf
    Del Crandall c
    Johnny Logan ss
    Felix Mantilla 2b
    Lew Burdette p

    Cincinnati
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Vada Pinson cf
    Jerry Lynch lf
    Frank Robinson 1b
    Gus Bell rf
    Frank J. Thomas 3b
    Ed Bailey c
    Roy McMillan ss
    Joe Nuxhall p


    WP: Bob Purkey (3-1)
    LP: Warren Spahn (2-2)
    HR: MIL - Hank Aaron (4). CIN - Frank Thomas (2).

    Reds reliever Willard Schmidt, who relieved Joe Nuxhall in the third inning, set a major-league record as a batter in the bottom of the third, as he was hit by a pitch twice in one inning. He remained in the game--however, he left the game in the top of the fourth inning after Braves SS Johnny Logan lined a single off Schmidt's pitching hand.
    Talk about bad luck! I think I would gone straight home and went to bed after this. I had never heard about this before now. Really an amazing turn of events.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  11. #10
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,311

    Re: This Date In Reds History (4/26/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Andy Kosco at 3rd? The Reds must have been desperate to find a 3rd baseman. I don't remember him playing 3rd at all.
    I did a double-take on that, too.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25